Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year old has started throwing everything!

Options
  • 09-05-2017 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Very frustrating and trying to ignore but it's a new thing. Anyone else have this phase at 2 and did it last long?
    - When fed up with toys, throws all over the place there or carries to another room and throws on the floor
    - Sometimes seeks his favourite berries/ raisins to eat but ends up throwing them everywhere
    -!throws everything out of cot before sleep and gives out then eg teddies, dodies

Sigh. Ignoring only goes so far. He has started throwing stones when out! Hmmm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Just a phase. It'll pass. I corrected it until I was blue in the face but he stopped doing it when he was good and ready. One year old is just starting now... sigh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes.And worse, in group situations, she occasionally took aim and threw when she was overwhelmed.It wasn't good.
    Every evening after dinner she would empty the contents of boxes and shelves all over the living room floor.It drove me nuts.Mostly I ignored that.
    If she threw individual toys either at home or out, I took it away from her.After a certain point (when I was totally fed up) I told her if you throw that, I'm taking it away.(she got a look or body position that told me she was about to hurl something).That was extremely effective, started making her think twice, once she had a toy or whatever taken away a few times.You could literally see her stopping and thinking.

It is a phase.You're bringing it back, my one year old loves dropping things from any sort of a height.I guess throwing is going to come next.It's just constant reminders and following up on your actions....if you say you will take it away, you have to take it away.It does pass eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I took about 60% if the toys from the room so there was less cleaning up after the throwing!! Couldn't stop it so minimised the mess! Lego etc went away as there were so many pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

bp wrote: »
    I took about 60% if the toys from the room so there was less cleaning up after the throwing!! Couldn't stop it so minimised the mess! Lego etc went away as there were so many pieces

The small bits are so frustrating! I have removed some things alright but there's als plenty where they come from! a phase I'll tell myself.....

Definitely a phase! We are in the throw everything down the stairs phase....my phone went bounce bounce bounce! Still works so I am delighted! That is what I get for leaving it charging upstairs while making breakfast down stairs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

bp wrote: »
    Definitely a phase! We are in the throw everything down the stairs phase....my phone went bounce bounce bounce! Still works so I am delighted! That is what I get for leaving it charging upstairs while making breakfast down stairs!
    Yes, throwing things down slopes of any kind is also a hit. Is your little one also 2yrs?

He most certainly is :) I put the raisins in his bowl the wrong way the other day.....all over the floor (bad mam!)

Advertisement