Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike licence

• 09-05-2017 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭

Here goes, im 27 and until yesterday i thought i would never have to sit another driving test. However i had my first drive on a honda 90 and am in a situation now where i'd like to add the a1 catagory to my licence, bar driving the 500 or so yards yesterday ive never even thought about a bike licence. Any advice apprciated on what i have to do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's a big fat learner's thread on the motorbikes forum but I can tell you right now that it ain't no casual process. It takes time, effort and lots of doh re mi. Firstly, the basic process is theory test, learner permit, mandatory training, test. As you're over 24, you can go for a full power bike from the beginning as a learner you may as well go for cat A - it's the same effort and expense and for a Honda 90 or a Honda Blackbird.

You're thinking 'I don't want bigger bikes'. The answer to that is you can do your training on a 'school bike', buy whatever bike you want and when you book your test, hire the school bike and pass the test. If you do your training on a small bike, you will have to redo your training for a bigger bike later at the same cost. It's the same hassle and expense for all bikes - get the biggest one you can.

There's also the expense of the bike you want to buy but also the insurance (between €500 - €1000), gear (same), IBT €500 ish and maintenance and repairs (much higher cost per mile compared to a car).

If all that hasn't scared you off, what I'd recommend is set yourself the task of taking IBT and see how you feel from there. You have to take the theory test and get a learner permit but your local instructor will provide you with the bike, insurance and all the gear you need. At that point if you're enjoying it, you can take the plunge and buy a bike and gear of your own and you'll have enough training done to get you through the test apart from a pre-test or two.

If you want further inspiration, watch the World's Fastest Indian or the Long Way Round/ Down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Second the above. I've started biking. I have an A Learner Permit that I got from the NDLS. That happened rather quickly. I advising booking an appointment with them though rather than walking in. Permit arrived a couple of days later.

Give the RSA a ring and check whether you have to do another Theory Test. I was told that I didn't, but I passed my Theory back in 2002.

I advise doing the A. Gives you much more options. Your IBT instructor will probably have you out on a CB500 anyway. Make your decision on where you want to go based on that experience, not now.

Advertisement