Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv License Questions

Options
  • 09-05-2017 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Im just curious about this tv license crap rte are trying to pull, im just finding holes in it and just questions see what people think or answers. admin if this in the wrong section or already a thread about it please move or delete. So i moved to canada 2 years ago never had a tv license and was told now that laptops arent exempt from this new  Media Broadcasting License. So what does this cover. if you have a laptop how can they license you for being on the internet and your tv doesnt have a signal receiver im just curious how this wouldnt end up going to european courts as illegal if you dont use a broadcasted service online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That legislation hasn't been brought in yet.

Still just the old tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

if they do bring it in surely you cant be asked to pay for a license for a laptop that uses the internet, a tv with a receiver fine yes but online on a laptop that be illegal unless you can prove the person is using rte player.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd assume that issue will be addressed if and when they ever get around to drafting the legislation!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

some guy on fb told me its already in place lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

They scrapped the idea today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement