Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Says Burger King Waterford Permanently Closed

Options
  • 09-05-2017 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

As above, really.

Is that right? I'm surprised if it is the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Opening back up once new food court is open I'd say.management of city square wanted them out of their old place to make changes, planning notice on their old place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Max Powers wrote: »
    Opening back up once new food court is open I'd say.management of city square wanted them out of their old place to make changes, planning notice on their old place.

Is it really much of a loss in the general scheme of things. Basically a U.K. junk food version of McDonald's that tastes consistently 'sh1t' and the same no matter what part of the world you get one ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Road-Hog wrote:
    Is it really much of a loss in the general scheme of things. Basically a U.K. junk food version of McDonald's that tastes consistently 'sh1t' and the same no matter what part of the world you get one

Ah you can't call yourself a city without any burger king in . It's one of the essentials

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Its a small town thing that we think its brilliant that we get chain shop or a franchise like bigger cities. Like Burger King or Starbucks.

But in the end you end up with the same **** everywhere. I would much prefer if there were more unique places that people "would have to try" when in Waterford or somewhere you miss when away from home for a while.

For me its Istanbul Kebab funnily enough. Still one of the nicest kebabs I've had including Turkey and various other cities around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Its a small town thing that we think its brilliant that we get chain shop or a franchise like bigger cities. Like Burger King or Starbucks.

I don't care about franchises or big names, I just think it's a pity to see another empty property in the city. However, I think in another thread someone mentioned that City Square are moving all food outlets upstairs to the food court and Burger King were offered a move upstairs but declined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Is it really much of a loss in the general scheme of things. Basically a U.K. junk food version of McDonald's that tastes consistently 'sh1t' and the same no matter what part of the world you get one ��

Burger King is from Florida

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Burger King was owned by Pillsbury who were bought by Grand Metropolitan who in turn were merged with Guinness plc to form Diageo. Burger King was then sold to Texas Pacific Group who sold it to 3G Capital of Brazil. The company has it's headquarters in Miami where it all began well nearly - Jacksonville can't be that far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

I asked on the City Square Facebook page what the story was with Burger King if they were reopening or not, they gave me the following reply.

" Hi Paul, it is closed for good in City Square, however I am not sure if Burger King has plans to re-open elsewhere in Waterford. "

Please see screensave attached .

417182.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I asked on the City Square Facebook page what the story was with Burger King if they were reopening or not, they gave me the following reply.

" Hi Paul, it is closed for good in City Square, however I am not sure if Burger King has plans to re-open elsewhere in Waterford. "

Please see screensave attached .

417182.png
    Fair enough, but they will surely open elsewhere in town.

Road-Hog wrote: »

I love BKs burgers. Fcuking flame grilled awesomeness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Deiseen wrote: »
    Fair enough, but they will surely open elsewhere in town.

I doubt it.... not for the foreseeable future.... they never where very busy
    profits couldnt have been that high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

How am I going to a get a chicken tendercrisp burger now?

I think this is scandalous. This would mean I would have to drive 60.7 km (approximately 42 minutes) to nearest burger king in Paulstown in county Killkenny when all I used to had to do was park the car in mayors walk and 5 minute walk. I need to satiate my most basic of post-modern manufactured desires.

The horrible people in power who brought this injustice upon us just so they could open some sort of vegan shake shack or some sort of global costmetic brand should be ashamed of themselves. I will go on hunger strike.

Burger King was the heart of our community.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

robtri wrote: »
    I doubt it.... not for the foreseeable future.... they never where very busy
    profits couldnt have been that high

I always felt they were in a poor location and also the opening hours didn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

How am I going to a get a chicken tendercrisp burger now?

I think this is scandalous. This would mean I would have to drive 60.7 km (approximately 42 minutes) to nearest burger king in Paulstown in county Killkenny when all I used to had to do was park the car in mayors walk and 5 minute walk. I need to satiate my most basic of post-modern manufactured desires.

The horrible people in power who brought this injustice upon us just so they could open some sort of vegan shake shack or some sort of global costmetic brand should be ashamed of themselves. I will go on hunger strike.

Burger King was the heart of our community.

Whilst your sarcasm is of epic proportions and to an extent its humorous i highly doubt those who lost their jobs share your sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

I thought they were going into the new food court. The location killed them they were tied to City Square opening hours.

They would be very successful in another city centre location with the same opening hours as the other fast food restraunts.

I'm not a big fan of either but out of the two I'd have Burger King way ahead of Mcdonalds. I find Mcdonalds really poor by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I thought they were going into the new food court. The location killed them they were tied to City Square opening hours.

Were they tied to CSq hours? I thought seeing they had their own entrance, and ensuring that the part that connected to CSq was locked when the centre closed, that they could open for as long as they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

iseegirls wrote: »
    Were they tied to CSq hours? I thought seeing they had their own entrance, and ensuring that the part that connected to CSq was locked when the centre closed, that they could open for as long as they wanted.

You could be right but I always thought they were only ever open when City Square was open. Wasn't aware they could open any later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

alta stare wrote: »
    Whilst your sarcasm is of epic proportions and to an extent its humorous i highly doubt those who lost their jobs share your sentiment.

Don't me wrong, It was horrible how they lost their job. I genuinely preferred Burger Stayed there. It was very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You could be right but I always thought they were only ever open when City Square was open. Wasn't aware they could open any later.

They certainly used to open later. 11 or something. Obviously it wasn't busy enough for that and they started closing earlier.

Town is pretty dead by 6/7pm so it doesn't make sense for most shops to be open.

I wish shops would stay open for longer. If there was stuff to do in town I am sure people would head in after work or stay around if working in town to do some shopping.

• Advertisement

I wish shops would stay open for longer. If there was stuff to do in town I am sure people would head in after work or stay around if working in town to do some shopping.

Would love a coffee shop to remain open at least a bit later in the summer. Went to town yesterday at 5.30, and apart from the main guys of Starbucks, Costa and Insomnia, I find it hard to find a place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure if the shops staying open later would make that much of a difference to town and would probably cost the shops a lot of money.

Arnotts in Dublin city centre closes at 7 most days, only opens later on Thurs and Fri, and Dundrum town centre stays open til 9. That's in Dublin which is vastly more populated than Waterford.

Do you think its a case of its just never been done?

The late opening around Christmas works, it would be nice if they had something similar in the Summer with the long days and nicer weather. It would lend itself to people doing extra shopping and staying around for a coffee and a bite.

I lived in Spain for a number of years. and shops are open from about 8am until 2 then close until 5pm and reopen from about 5.00-9.30pm .While Banks and public offices closed a 2 and didnt open again (that was a real pain). The shop early and late opening hours made sense for people who worked and had money to spend in shops, you could pick something on your way to or from work. Also spent time in the states where early open and late close is a norm.

I not saying that this is the answer but, the majority of shop opening hours here are from a time where there was a wife at home to do the shopping while the husband was in work. This is not the typical family dynamic these days, and the most people with money to spend are working during shop opening hours. So many shops are relying on a weekend trade most of their income.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

I thought this was the reason they didnt want to move from where they were to the food court. The unit they had could set its own opening hours while the units in the food court will have to keep to the City Square opening times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

JohnC. wrote: »
    They certainly used to open later. 11 or something. Obviously it wasn't busy enough for that and they started closing earlier.

I don't recall ever seeing them open late in the evening. They always appeared to me to open and close with the centre.
    Does anyone know what their opening hours were?
    I know for certain that on a Friday or Saturday evening (between 7 and 9) I would have been in and around town occasionally and never noticed them open at those times.
    iseegirls wrote: »
    Would love a coffee shop to remain open at least a bit later in the summer. Went to town yesterday at 5.30, and apart from the main guys of Starbucks, Costa and Insomnia, I find it hard to find a place.

Yes, I agree. There are loads of coffee shops in Dublin that open very late at night and there are a few 24 hour starbucks (and possibly some of the other franchise coffee places).
    Even opening until 8 or 9 pm Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday during the Summer months and see how they get on?
    It would be so nice to sit out somewhere in the evening warmth and have a nice cup of coffee and relax reading a book or something.

erica74 wrote: »
    I don't recall ever seeing them open late in the evening. They always appeared to me to open and close with the centre.
    Does anyone know what their opening hours were?
    I know for certain that on a Friday or Saturday evening (between 7 and 9) I would have been in and around town occasionally and never noticed them open at those times.

On local mint, these are the times they have:
    Monday 9:30am - 6:30pm
    Tuesday 9:30am - 6:30pm
    Wednesday 9:30am - 6:30pm
    Thursday 9:30am - 7pm
    Friday 9:30am - 8pm
    Saturday 9:30am - 7pm
    Sunday 12pm - 7pm

Judging from those times, City Square closes at 6 on Sunday, so there's just one extra hour. I thought it was open a lot earlier on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

They used to open until ten a few nights a week going back a few years ago but not that late in recent times

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Say what you want about Burger King but IMO it is an essential in any city. BK closing in Waterford is a retrograde step. I really hope it reopens somewhere else in the city before too long.

The Whopper is a superior burger to the Big Mac, hands down.

Advertisement