Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nuclear emergency in Hanford, Washington

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Build a wall.
    A big one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

Donal55 wrote: »
    Build a wall.
    A big one.
    Lead-lined too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This happened a few hours ago surprised it's only getting a mentioning now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

MAINSTREAM MEDIA SURPRISING THIS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

What kind of surprise are the mainstream media going to announce next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Can we expect an emergence of super heros and villains here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can we expect an emergence of super heros and villains here

Radioactive apes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hanford is like Sellafield, a place where #1 priority was developing the bomb, at any cost. Back in the 1940's before health and safety.

70 years later clean up costs are a hundred billion and rising, mainly because the can keeps getting kicked further down the road.

70 years later and some infrastructure may be showing it's age.

it's either just pure dumb bad luck or something that could have been prevented if the job wasn't being done on the cheap.

Nothing to do with modern power plants, except as a warning not to repeat the mistakes of the past. Something the nuclear industry has a very hard time learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

70 years later and some infrastructure may be showing it's age.

Infrastructure designed for a 20 year lifespan. It's beyond ****ed tbh. Even if they got their vitrification plant built to the current plan without any issue (and that ain't going to happen as it should have opened 10 years ago) it would take 50 years to process all of the material on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

China Syndrome?

Nothing on Sky or BBC News ..... Yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,856 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't remember what I did with my jaysus iodine tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

LordSutch wrote: »
    China Syndrome?

Nothing on Sky or BBC News ..... Yet.

Its been on the bbc website for hours.

they just dropped some waste, its not going to melt down or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Glenster wrote: »
    Its been on the bbc website for hours.

they just dropped some waste, its not going to melt down or anything.

Possibly a teensy bit more complex than that. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Stock up on as much dilisk as you can now.... be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Check the attic, that's where mine were... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭biscuithead

Apparently this site is the most contaminated place in the US and has been leaking since 2011. There is 53 million gallons of deadly radioactive liquid waste held in decrepit, ageing tanks. 53 million gallons is over 100 Olympic swimming pools. :-0

Apparently this site is the most contaminated place in the US and has been leaking since 2011. There is 53 million gallons of deadly radioactive liquid waste held in decrepit, ageing tanks. 53 million gallons is over 100 Olympic swimming pools. :-0

In 160 decrepit, aging tanks, many of which are only single walled.

The nearby Columbia river which is where the waste will ultimately end up if when it leaks, passes through Portland, a city of 2 million people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Isnt this the definition of "Superfund site". Take 0.001% of the DoD budget and its sorted.

ED E wrote: »
    Isnt this the definition of "Superfund site". Take 0.001% of the DoD budget and its sorted.

It's not just a question of funding. They still haven't fully developed the tech to process the waste. That didn't stop them commencing work on the Vit plant so it has been put on hold while they figure it out. Just reading some articles on it and if there is a blockage of any of the conveyors it could cause a criticality (very bad). Even if this doesn't happen, the waste will corrode the machinery inside the plant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭biscuithead

According to CBC, 3.8 million litres of radioactive waste from this site are believed to have leaked out into the ground in the past.

www(dot)cbc(dot)ca/news/technology/hanford-us-nuclear-waste-radioactive-contamination-tunnel-1.4107595

CNN claims there was no leak from the plant on tuesday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Apparently this site is the most contaminated place in the US and has been leaking since 2011
    2011 ?

The first waste leak was suspected in 1956 and confirmed in 1959
    From 1944 through the late 1980s, Hanford generated nearly 2 million cubic meters ... of high-level tank waste ... Liquid evaporation,
    discharge to the ground, chemical treatment, and tank leakage reduced this volume by 90%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Any truth to the rumour that one of our Olympic medal winners gained extraordinary superpowers by training in one of said radioactive pools before her amazing jump in performance over beyond in Atlanta.
    If there is no truth to the rumour, might I suggest sending over a few of the current swimmers to give it a shot.

Advertisement