Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre Flip - but not a massive tyre.

• 09-05-2017 9:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

What standard gym exercise would be closest to the tyre flip ?

Also. When people talk about tyre flips they tend to refer to massive tyres like this;

https://youtu.be/aEL9f81F8Do

However, the tyres in my gym are not half this wide (high off the ground when flat) so I can't get my shoulders etc down on top of the tyre to start the lift and have to stand close to the tyre , if you know what I mean

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

What standard gym exercise would be closest to the tyre flip ?

Also. When people talk about tyre flips they tend to refer to massive tyres like this;

https://youtu.be/aEL9f81F8Do

However, the tyres in my gym are not half this wide (high off the ground when flat) so I can't get my shoulders etc down on top of the tyre to start the lift and have to stand close to the tyre , if you know what I mean

Clean and press maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Clean and press maybe?

mmmm, kind I suppose except for the press bit maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mmmm, kind I suppose except for the press bit maybe

They're probably thinking of a bigger tyre where the pull to lift it is followed by a press to knock it over. A tyre with a smaller diameter has much less of a press.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I've seen guys training for strongman in the gym, including vytataus lalas and the only excercises I saw them doing were squats,deadlifts and huge overhead shoulder presses.
    Lalas was shoulder pressing 200kgs
    If I ever saw them benching I don't remember it

They're probably thinking of a bigger tyre where the pull to lift it is followed by a press to knock it over. A tyre with a smaller diameter has much less of a press.

True. So the smaller tyre, would that be just like a deadlift type scenario. Or even sumo deadlift ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They said the issue was the width not the diameter though.
    However, the tyres in my gym are not half this wide (high off the ground when flat) so I can't get my shoulders etc down on top of the tyre to start the lift and have to stand close to the tyre, if you know what I mean

I don't quite understand the issue though.
    You should be grabbing underneath the tyre. So whether its 6" wide, or 2' wide you start from more or less the same position.

In terms of replicating the movement. It's basically a deadlift. And the push at the top is more like a sled push than overhead or bench press, due to the leg drive and lack of an eccentric

Mellor wrote: »
    They said the issue was the width not the diameter though.

I don't quite understand the issue though.
    You should be grabbing underneath the tyre. So whether its 6" wide, or 2' wide you start from more or less the same position.

In terms of replicating the movement. It's basically a deadlift. And the push at the top is more like a sled push than overhead or bench press, due to the leg drive and lack of an eccentric

I am grabbing underneath the tyre. But the height of the tyre off the ground means that its so low that I am essentially nearly topping over to get down to it.

See attached image, the tyre in my gym is like the one on right, its very tall when upright - about 6 ft, just not wide, which means when on the ground , you have to crouch down very very low and hard for me to do

Tyres that typical tyre flips seem to be done with are more like the ones on the very left of attached.

Do you know what I mean ?

I understood what you meant. It's like a skinny tractor tyre, rather that a fat heavier duty one.

But the problem you describe is a mobility one, not a tyre one. If the tyre was fatter, you'd still need to bend down just as far to grab the bottom. The tyre shouldn't be holding you up. See the below pic, if the tyre was sliced in half, the lifters position would be the same.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/images/2015/are-you-strong-enough-for-the-tire-flip-graphics-4.jpg

I understood what you meant. It's like a skinny tractor tyre, rather that a fat heavier duty one.

But the problem you describe is a mobility one, not a tyre one. If the tyre was fatter, you'd still need to bend down just as far to grab the bottom. The tyre shouldn't be holding you up. See the below pic, if the tyre was sliced in half, the lifters position would be the same.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/images/2015/are-you-strong-enough-for-the-tire-flip-graphics-4.jpg

ok, but the technique in that pic with woman seems to be t different from the technique in the video I posted earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEL9f81F8Do&feature=youtu.be

Woman seems a lot closer to the tyre not up on tippy toes etc etc

Well your right, that image is a bit stylised for the sake of the glossy magazine shot.

This is a better example. Feet back a little, wide grip with arm outside legs (not a sumo deadlift).
    But you still want to be self stable, not lying on top of it

https://youtu.be/0hJ8ygMtkMM

• Advertisement

Well your right, that image is a bit stylised for the sake of the glossy magazine shot.

This is a better example. Feet back a little, wide grip with arm outside legs (not a sumo deadlift).
    But you still want to be self stable, not lying on top of it

https://youtu.be/0hJ8ygMtkMM

Thanks. Will try next time.

Thanks. Will try next time.

Tried this tonight - Umpteen times.

There must be something wrong with me but I could not for the life of me do what your man was doing in video. I can flip the tyre fine with sumo stance but when it comes to hands outside legs and standing back a bit from tyre, I just cannot do it, very frustrating. I just seem to topple forward when I try to do it, I can't even get the tyre moves off the ground !!!! The lad in video kinda rests his shoulders on the tyre as his tyre is good and high off ground etc.

Oh I dunno, just annoyed I cannot do this simple flip correctly.

Actually this video is decent.

https://youtu.be/oFHKycp82ww

I'll give it a go myself tonight. We have two sizes of tyre in the gym.

But I wouldn't sweat too much about it. The legs back method its more about driving the tyre over (like a sled push). This works because the centre of gravity is a lot higher than the corner it pivots around. There's a chance that with a flat tyre, they are too close to the same level, so its more a slide than a pivot

But I wouldn't sweat too much about it. The legs back method its more about driving the tyre over (like a sled push). This works because the centre of gravity is a lot higher than the corner it pivots around. There's a chance that with a flat tyre, they are too close to the same level, so its more a slide than a pivot

thanks. be interesting to see how you get on, you probably will just do it easy.

maybe its just me and my mobility but I just found it impossible to do with the thin tyre and legs back.

How'd you get on Mellor?

Was at gym earlier.

Attached are the tyres in my gym. The one on the left is the "narrow" one - where I Could NOT do it with my feet back and arms out wide.

Then I decided to put 2 tyres on top of each other, just as a test to gain extra height - like the tyre on the right in the attached, tried the lift again......... With my feet back and arms out wide and I could do the proper technique no bother this time.

All about the extra few inches ;)

How'd you get on Mellor?
    I'm not gonna lie.
    I forgot to try it

I'm not gonna lie.
    I forgot to try it

Fair enough :)

See my previous post. I can indeed do the technique with the wider tyre.

Was at gym earlier.

Attached are the tyres in my gym. The one on the left is the "narrow" one - where I Could NOT do it with my feet back and arms out wide.

Then I decided to put 2 tyres on top of each other, just as a test to gain extra height - like the tyre on the right in the attached, tried the lift again......... With my feet back and arms out wide and I could do the proper technique no bother this time.

All about the extra few inches ;)

does this make sense that I can do it with the higher tyre?
    or should I be able to do it with lower tyre?

• Advertisement

It makes sense that the high tyre is easier as it's centre of gravity is higher.
    The wide base would also make it harder to flip the lower tyre.
    If you can do it with a the high tyre that would suggested it's not a form or mobility issue.

Advertisement