Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Country fairs uk

• 09-05-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Considering heading to a country fair in the UK possibly in August or September. Never been to one and would like to attend one with plenty of shooting & hunting interests. Anyone have any experience travelling to these types of UK fairs ? Came across this one but have no idea if it's any good : http://www.midlandgamefair.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

I have been to the Midland twice. Went with Kavanaghs Coach Tours last year. Good craic and far bigger than any Fair in Ireland . You can bring back as much gear as you like on the bus. Thinking of going to the CLA this year !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I had tickets got hotel booked and paid for and flights booked and paid for even hire car got for the uk game fair last summer and the **** cancelled it two weeks before it was on it left me out the guts of €500 and not a hint of a refund.....never again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭brianfrancis45

Anyone know which is best - CLA or Midland fair , or are they much the same ? Think I'll give the game fair at Birr a miss this year as there's far too many stalls that are not hunting/shooting related and head across the pond ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭LONG DRAG

There is no CLA it stopped 2 years ago, Midlands 6/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

What are the Northern Ireland fairs like?...are they worth going up to?

NI COUNTRYSPORTS FAIR, SCARVAGH HOUSE

27th & 28th May 2017

http://www.countrysportsfairs.com/

or

THE IRISH GAME FAIR & FINE FOOD FESTIVAL
    Shanes Castle, Antrim

24th & 25th June 2017

http://www.irishgamefair.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Northern ones are grand, nowhere near as big as the UK ones but a good bit to see. Not too much in the way of trade stands.

The UK Gamefair one is very close to London this year (Hatfield house) and has it's own train station so very handy

LONG DRAG wrote: »
    There is no CLA it stopped 2 years ago, Midlands 6/10.

CLA is on this year and Kavanaghs Coach Tours are running a bus to it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭LONG DRAG

borrisboy wrote: »
    CLA is on this year and Kavanaghs Coach Tours are running a bus to it ![/QUO

Would like to know where it's on, because it ran out of money 2 years ago.

There are other Fairs on in the UK but no CLA. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

LONG DRAG wrote: »
    borrisboy wrote: »
    CLA is on this year and Kavanaghs Coach Tours are running a bus to it ![/QUO

Would like to know where it's on, because it ran out of money 2 years ago.

There are other Fairs on in the UK but no CLA. :confused:

Yeah you're right ! It was The Game Fair at Hatfield House I was looking at !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭paddatjie

I went to the Midlands game fair a few years ago and going again this year. Very good fair and different scale to anything this side of the pond. Four of us driving together and sharing hotel rooms. Good a way as any if you can get a few lads together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭.243

paddatjie wrote: »
    I went to the Midlands game fair a few years ago and going again this year. Very good fair and different scale to anything this side of the pond. Four of us driving together and sharing hotel rooms. Good a way as any if you can get a few lads together.
    I don't go to it anymore,Midlands is only a third of the size of what it used to be,

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭paddatjie

.243 wrote: »
    I don't go to it anymore,Midlands is only a third of the size of what it used to be,
    That doesn't sound good. Maybe with CLA cancelled last year it might have picked up a bit, here's hoping anyhow, although CLA on again this year. I might post an update when I get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭.243

Best way to know about any of the uk game fairs is find posts and threads on the uk hunting sites,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Anybody been to the British Shooting Show in Birmingham. It's only a couple of minutes from the airport by train. I think it is all under cover. On next Feb for 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Anybody been to the British Shooting Show in Birmingham. It's only a couple of minutes from the airport by train. I think it is all under cover. On next Feb for 3 days.

Directions

;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Went over to the Midlands last weekend.
    Great show, although I'd never been to a UK fair before so I can't comment on how it compared to the likes of the CLA.
    Two full days of fun.
    Loads of PROPER stands with decent gear for sale (e.g. Minox,Deerhunter, Blaser,Hawke,Cluson etc) Course there was loads of bargain stuff available as well.

I would recommend that if you go, that you make a list of what you are looking to buy before you go and then you can simply shop around at your ease.

Full rows of gundealers where you could pick up, handle and get proper advise on what the best gun to suit you. Nice pair of AYA No. 1's for the bargain price of £45,000 or so.
    Best Gundog trials/fishing displays/falconry that I have seen and everyone of them was very approachable for advise.
    Little things like bowls of water for dogs scattered throughout the fair or literally "paddling pools" full of dog food make all the difference ( I didn't have a dog BTW).
    On the clay pigeon front, you could get proper one to one coaching from a BASC coach for about a tenner.

Can't see myself heading back to Birr unless they seriously up their game.
    Was talking to one guy who used to display at Birr(hasn't been there for a few years) and he told me that he won't be back either.
    Highly recommend the Midlands even if you go just to see what it is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You should also consider Jagd und Hund in Dortmund Germany Europe's largest public hunting/shooting/fishing expo, there are always great deals to be had and its enormous. 30thJan-4thFeb

Advertisement