Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are spuds good to break up clay soil?

Options
  • 09-05-2017 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭

Do they inhance the soil ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yes and no, all the work you do planting, earthing up and then digging the spuds up is great for the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

my3cents wrote: »
    Yes and no, all the work you do planting, earthing up and then digging the spuds up is great for the soil.

Thanks.

Torn between digging the lot out and putting in top soil - a lot of work and $

And spuds and some manure - less work and less $ - but the results will be unknown until Sept or so

Might go spud route

Am I still ok time wise for spuds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Bit late but but still worth a go. With all the work I'd be using as much manure as possible. Then when you have dug the spuds in the winter leave the soil rough dug and heavily lime it (unless you want to grow lime hating plants) the lime will improve the soil. The lime has a flocculating effect and provides a nucleolus for the lime to stick to making it more granular and easier to work. The effects aren't going to be huge and just one season is just too short a time to turn a sows ear into a silk purse.

You might want to do some research as to what varieties would be best for late planting I think something like rooster should be OK.

Advertisement