Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Person refuses to give insurance details after collision

Options
  • 10-05-2017 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Long story short - person who scratched my car didn't provide me with her insurance information? My fault was not getting photo of her policy disc however I have her statement where she agrees that it's here fault. I have photo of her driver's license and photos if our cars after collision. She left quickly asking me not to go through insurance but to get a quote for the garage and she will than pay what is needed. However that she did not accept this quotation stating it's to much for such a tiny scratch. Now she refuses to give insurance details. I went to Garda station but they said there is not much they can do!!! :/ my insurer also not very helpful. Any way I can get that kind of information? What to do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you have the registration number of the car tell the Gardai you want them to track the owner and confirm insurers, if they don't comply contact GSOC and complete a formal complaint that you are unhappy with the service provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Parties are obliged to provide insurance details following an incident. I'm surprised the Gardai are not following up. The MIBI will trace the insurer with the reg number for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hummingbird.ie

Thank you guys for your kind a dvices, I appreciate it. Will visit Gardai today as well. They said that "this is not their business" and all they can do is to try to get in touch with her and ask her for those details (she doesn't answer my calls nor texts). If still not possible to get any information at the station I'll definitely file a complaint and than visit MIBI as I'm not even sure she has any insurance :/ my insurance company also offered to help but already informed me it will be long process :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Thank you guys for your kind a dvices, I appreciate it. Will visit Gardai today as well. They said that "this is not their business" and all they can do is to try to get in touch with her and ask her for those details (she doesn't answer my calls nor texts). If still not possible to get any information at the station I'll definitely file a complaint and than visit MIBI as I'm not even sure she has any insurance :/ my insurance company also offered to help but already informed me it will be long process :/

Settling the problem you have in getting your repair bill paid is certainly none of their business, but verifying the insurance details of someone you had an accident with is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If you have a photo of her licence then you should have her address on it. Head over to her house and get a picture of the disc there, and then just make a claim against her insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Send them a message telling them that the gardai will be in contact shortly to confirm her insurance details, if she'd like to prevent them turning up at her door, please send them on as soon as possible.

If you do know where they live, that may be the quickest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

RTA 1961 - Part VI [6] - Compulsory Insurance Of Mechanically Propelled Vehicles.
    This deals with a number of insurance related issues from Section 56 onwards.
    LINK http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/enacted/en/index.html

RTA 1961 - Section 106 - Duties on the occurrence of an accident.
    LINK http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/106/enacted/en/html#sec106

I assume that the accident happened in a public place as distinct from private property.
    If in a public place a number of statutory obligations apply.
    If not in a public place most, if not all, statutory obligations do not apply.

The other motorist should have given you insurance details. The presence of an insurance disc is not evidence that she was actually insured to drive the car. A certificate of insurance is the proper legal proof of insurance subject to verification of indemnity by the insurers who purportedly issued the certificate

As far as Gardaí are concerned it is very much their business if the accident occurred on a public road / public place. I would push them further.

I am willing to bet that there is a reasonable suspicion that the driver was not insured.

Finally, the groundhog day bit. PLEASE DO NOT enter in to any private agreement to settle as they usually turn sour. Her opinion of the repair cost does not matter. You decide when and where you are getting your car repaired. She may argue the issue of amount. She may even ask for a second estimate which you have no obligation to provide. Her opinion is irrelevant. Ultimately, the only opinion that matters is that of the District Justice who hears the case:)

Advertisement