Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In what scenario can you progress to a small claims court?

• 10-05-2017 5:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

I bought a second hand lawnmower from a lawnmower shop. I was told it was an industrial motor and was a very good machine. I asked about the warranty and was told it has 3 months and they'll give me credit in that time.

I brought the lawnmower home and that day it gave me trouble. The engine didn't seem to tick over right, kept reving at the higher speed and when i turned it off to empty the grass from the bucket it would take about 10 min to cool down before it would restart.

I brought it back in, fairly annoyed and asked for a refund. He said he doesn't do refunds, to which i replied if the lawnmower was fit for purpose i wouldnt be looking for one. His argument was if he gave refunds anyone could take a mower, cut the grass and return it, he was fairly thick about it too. If it happened at the end of the 3 months then fine but for it not to work from day 1 is unnacceptable. Anyway he said he would repair it. I know he has the option to do the r, r &r so said fine.

Picked it up yesterday, he said it was a dirty carburetor and "someone" put dirty fuel into it. Fair enough, maybe it was dirty (im prety sure it wasn't and he jad fuel in it already). It was in the shed for a few months. So i went and bought a new container and new fuel.

Brought it home and on a small cut the exact same thing. Reving on the higher speed and had to let it cool down to restart.

I gave him the opportunity to repair it. Do i have to accept a credit note when i go back? Tbh I've lost all confidence the shop and would rather a refund and take my business elswhere. I know he said they don't do refunds on the second hand lawnmowers but surely it still has to be fit for purpose. I wouldn't mind so much if he wasn't so aggresive when i brought it back.

Apologies to anyone who stuck that out, thanks in advance.

Comments

Advertisement