Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving after initial exam at optilase

• 10-05-2017 5:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering when they do your first eye exam to see if tour suitable in optilase i see they say they use drops and recommend that u dont drive afterwards.get someone to drop u home etc..
    How realistic is this or what was peoples experience as i might have trouble getting a lift up and down to ely place.
    Could i drive within a few hours?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
    I had mine at 9 in the morning and had the day off work, but I had to drive in at about 6PM and I was still very sensitive to light and unable to focus properly on anything.

I struggled to walk home on a cloudy day wearing sunglasses because of the sensitivity to light. Driving with the current sun wouldn't be safe at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I would tend to say no OP.. its very realistic.. they dilate your pupils so they can look at your eye properly and it takes a minimum of a few hours for that to wear off.. i had my apt about 4ish and mine were funny for the rest of the night, unable to focus on anything.. and wasnt able to wear my glasses as they made me nauseous, so I wouldnt say its safe at all to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Yes wait a few hours at least! Coffee / caffeine will speed this process up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I was fine to drive (I didn't) but had to direct my mother and did fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

yeah I found it hard to see even the next day at work - was squinting out one eye. It takes about 24 hours to wear off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Back in 2012 they were happy to give me the go ahead to drive the next day.
    I had my surgery on a Thursday in Dublin, stayed up overnight, back into Optilase on the Friday morning for the 24 hour check up,
    only then once they gave me the go ahead did I drive.
    Drove back to Limerick on the Friday with no problems - wore sunglasses to avoid the glare / sensitivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crxsi09

rok wrote: »
    Back in 2012 they were happy to give me the go ahead to drive the next day.
    I had my surgery on a Thursday in Dublin, stayed up overnight, back into Optilase on the Friday morning for the 24 hour check up,
    only then once they gave me the go ahead did I drive.
    Drove back to Limerick on the Friday with no problems - wore sunglasses to avoid the glare / sensitivity.

When you get it done, do you have another appointment the next morning/day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

crxsi09 wrote:
    When you get it done, do you have another appointment the next morning/day?

I think he misunderstood the question.. hes talking about after the surgery itself! Not the consultation!

Advertisement