Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee sediment bottom of cup.

• 10-05-2017 7:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

We recently got a smoothie maker and started using it to grind our own beans. I make peanut butter etc in it so it's definitely strong enough to grind beans. However, at the bottom of every cup is a lot of leftover coffee sediment. We are making it using a cafetière.
    Do you think we aren't grinding it fine enough (it looks fine) or too much? Problem with the cafetière?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

If using a smoothie maker then you are essentially chopping the beans rather than grinding them; you're going to get a mix of coarse pieces and finer pieces.

When using a cafetiere some sediment is to be expected. Most of it will remain in the cafetiere but some will make it into the cup. Regardless, it's just fine coffee bean at the end of the day and while it might not feel nice in your mouth it should settle at the bottom of the cup - just leave a small amount of coffee in the bottom of your cup if you don't want to drink the sediment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks. We've used a cafetière for a long time now so happy enough with a bit but this is a lot more than usual. Like sludge on the bottom of the cup, a lot of it. It's like the coffee isn't mixing with the water properly at all. Maybe I need to blitz it for longer.

Makes sense what you say re chopping vs ginding, although it tends to be quite fine. The smoothie maker is one of those bullet type ones and specifically said could be used for coffee. That's half the reason we got it. I'll be really disappointed if that's the issue!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Whispered wrote: »
    Thanks. We've used a cafeti?re for a long time now so happy enough with a bit but this is a lot more than usual. Like sludge on the bottom of the cup, a lot of it. It's like the coffee isn't mixing with the water properly at all. Maybe I need to blitz it for longer.

Makes sense what you say re chopping vs ginding, although it tends to be quite fine. The smoothie maker is one of those bullet type ones and specifically said could be used for coffee. That's half the reason we got it. I'll be really disappointed if that's the issue!

Thanks again.

No problem. If you really don't like the sludge you should look at another brewing method such as the below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hario-Dripper-Measuring-Plastic-Transparent/dp/B00JJIOJ7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494424409&sr=8-1&keywords=V60+kit

The filter works better than the mesh you have on a cafetiere, there's pretty much zero sludge regardless of filter size!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

jive wrote: »
    If using a smoothie maker then you are essentially chopping the beans rather than grinding them; you're going to get a mix of coarse pieces and finer pieces.
    Whispered wrote: »
    Maybe I need to blitz it for longer....
    ...although it tends to be quite fine.

I was getting similar issues when I got a new grinder. In my case in was eing ground too fine and many tiny particles were making it into my cup. So I adjusted the grinder settings to make my grind more coarse. Hasn't eradicated the sediment completely, I still get a bit in the cup, but not enough to bother me.

So maybe blitz it for a little less time, rather than longer, so you have a coarser grind? I'm not sure how it'll work, I never tried it in a smoothie maker before, but might be worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mor.tar

You'll probably get more sludge if you grind the beans longer! Blade grinders create a lot of fine powder, which is what's passing through the metal filter of your cafetiere and settling at the bottom of your cup.

You will actually get better results grinding your beans for a shorter time.

If not, you can get rid of the sludge if you pour the cafetiere coffee through a paper filter, or you could get a better grinder (burr grinder, not blade grinder).

• Advertisement
Advertisement