Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recognising teaching qualifications

Options
  • 10-05-2017 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a query with regard getting teaching qualifications recognised in the republic of Ireland. I live in Donegal, but have been teaching Science and chemistry in the North for nearly 20 years. With Brexit looming and uncertainty with exchange rates I was just considering the possibility of looking for work in Donegal.

My main questions are:

· I did my degree in Chemistry in an English University in 1993 (25 years ago) I have no idea how to access original certificates/transcripts. Would this still be necessary after all this time.

· My teacher training was the PGCE from Queen’s in Belfast in 1996 again quite a while ago.

· Would there be any recognition of years service in the north when placed on the southern payscale.

· Finally I presume I would be classified as a “new entrant”

I know a lot of questions there and would probably need to contact Teaching council or dept of education for definitive answers but I’m just curious if anyone has went through this process in my situation.

It would be strange to move schools in late 40’s so just toying with the idea but any advice help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Contact the TC . You may suffer. I've heard they have become more reasonable. Keep at it. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes you will have to provide all transcripts and module descriptors and an official confirmation of how many ECTS credits each module was worth, even if such credits didn't exist at the time. There will be no allowance made for how long ago you studied.

You will be a new entrant but you should get recognition for your service to move up the pay scale. I think you can only claim a max of 7 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Yes you will have to provide all transcripts and module descriptors and an official confirmation of how many ECTS credits each module was worth, even if such credits didn't exist at the time. There will be no allowance made for how long ago you studied.

You will be a new entrant but you should get recognition for your service to move up the pay scale. I think you can only claim a max of 7 years though.

Thanks a million for that. I was looking at the teaching council website and that appears to be the situation.
    I think it is ridiculous bureaucracy thpugh, if queen's University in Belfast can qualify me to teach secondary science and with over 20 years teaching experience, you would think that should be sufficient without having to get transcripts of 25 year old degrees.

Thanks very much for your response and information.

Advertisement