Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Any word on what the Phoenix is like now that its finally opened?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

akelly02 wrote: »

I was in it Saturday night. Nice pub but needs a crowd. Extremely slow service at the bar so we left after one round. Still smelt of fresh paint and needed a bit of tidying, was rushed open I’d say.
    It will be grand when it settles but can’t see it threatening the Tap or Digan’s for a crowd.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I was in it Saturday night. Nice pub but needs a crowd. Extremely slow service at the bar so we left after one round. Still smelt of fresh paint and needed a bit of tidying, was rushed open I’d say.
    It will be grand when it settles but can’t see it threatening the Tap or Digan’s for a crowd.

sound, we are on our xmas party friday night and might pop in for a gander.

Pints nice/ affordable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Seemingly they were refusing people in late Saturday night as there was too many in there. It's a late bar so it won't be competing with the Tap or Digan's, it'll be after the Bridge house late bar crowd. At least there is a choice now for a late bar/club

I was in there on Friday for a few drinks, nice pub/club. Defiantly a disco bar as there is a large dancing are. Have to say the music was brutal for my taste (80's and 90's cheap pop music).

sound, we are on our xmas party friday night and might pop in for a gander.

Pints nice/ affordable?

That’s what we were there for as well. No complaints on the beer front and boss paid all night so no idea of price!!!

That’s what we were there for as well. No complaints on the beer front and boss paid all night so no idea of price!!!

i will most certainly not be that lucky to get free pints all night!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I was there Friday evening for a few.
    We got there at about 4pm and it was very quiet. Just ourselves really. The place is very large so felt empty. Staff were nice, pints were good. I would say once it filled it would be a great place but we couldn't hang around.

anyone try the omiya bar (old bob smyths)??

• Advertisement

anyone try the omiya bar (old bob smyths)??

Wasn't in it but I've been talking to a few people who were in it at the weekend and said it was great craic in there. It was seemingly jammed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Guill wrote: »
    Wasn't in it but I've been talking to a few people who were in it at the weekend and said it was great craic in there. It was seemingly jammed.

I can attest to the above. I was going into the CC and was drawn to peer in the window ( for old times sake ) I was attracted to gawk in by the bursts of laughter which brought me right back to the atmosphere of Bob Smyth's circa 1985. The bar was packed.

In hindsight they may have been laughing at me rubbing the condensation off the window to get a better look.

' Can I come in Bull '

I see the Flanagan development in Arden (Garden centre and cafe) is gone to tender stage. Does this mean Flanagan's are literally just developer manages now and now long employ construction firms directly now

I see the Flanagan development in Arden (Garden centre and cafe) is gone to tender stage. Does this mean Flanagan's are literally just developer manages now and now long employ construction firms directly now

Where did you see that?
    Whoever told you has their information wrong.

Where did you see that?
    Whoever told you has their information wrong.

It was a a tender watch website on the 10th of January,

€1.2m - Garden Centre Development, location Arden, Tullamore

Have you got some other info on this ?

It was a a tender watch website on the 10th of January,

€1.2m - Garden Centre Development, location Arden, Tullamore

Have you got some other info on this ?

I do but can’t post it here!!

It’s going ahead, just not sure of start date.

This year ?

This year ?
    No start date yet. Definitely won’t be in the next two months anyway.

Don’t always believe what you read on the CIS website either!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

Hopefully something happens with it this time. Before the arse falls out of the economy due to Brexit.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/364535/huge-20-million-shopping-centre-to-be-built-in-tullamore.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There's hardly any need for a second cinema is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Quazzie wrote: »

The one in the bridge centre is a kip. Anytime I've been there lately it's freezing and people talking and on phones the whole way through the film. Staff never do anything .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Jamemid wrote: »
    The one in the bridge centre is a kip. Anytime I've been there lately it's freezing and people talking and on phones the whole way through the film. Staff never do anything .

Two things about that.
    1. Are they closing the one in the Bridge Centre?
    2. It'll be the same pricks going to the new cinema.

BTW I don't go to the cinema in Tullamore because I've a TV that is bigger to watch than the screens in there.

The Bridge Centre one is badly out of date at this stage with no room to extend, it probably would be just a move job I reckon.

Like yourself I rarely go to the Cinema but plenty people do, we have the highest cinema go'ers on Europe per population so there clearly is a market

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/irelands-europe-cinema-attendance-592294

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

None what so ever. But there is a need for a good cinema. Presumably IMC would move to that new location and close the Bridge Centre. That’s if it ever goes ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

medoc wrote: »
    Hopefully something happens with it this time. Before the arse falls out of the economy due to Brexit.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/364535/huge-20-million-shopping-centre-to-be-built-in-tullamore.html

I can see a lot of businesses in the centre of Tullamore not too happy about this. So if this happens the centre of Tullamore like many other towns in the midlands and other rural areas will become another town with lots of empty units in it. You would think they would have learned from what happened to the other towns when you move the big business outside of the towns it becomes empty. They need to have a plan for what would happen to the Bridge Centre if most of the shops and the cinema there did move out to this new centre so the centre of town does not get abandoned and left behind.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

There is not much left in the centre of town couple of flag ship stores might bring some life to the town. Most people in Tullamore shopping in Athlone

Would 20 million build a flagship store?
    If you look at the bridge centre, it's relatively small but I couldn't imagine it being built for that nowadays.

AMKC wrote: »
    I can see a lot of businesses in the centre of Tullamore not too happy about this. So if this happens the centre of Tullamore like many other towns in the midlands and other rural areas will become another town with lots of empty units in it. You would think they would have learned from what happened to the other towns when you move the big business outside of the towns it becomes empty. They need to have a plan for what would happen to the Bridge Centre if most of the shops and the cinema there did move out to this new centre so the centre of town does not get abandoned and left behind.

I got a look at the tribune and on Facebook, it’s a retail park and not a shopping centre that’s proposed. People are picking it up wrong.

I got a look at the tribune and on Facebook, it’s a retail park and not a shopping centre that’s proposed. People are picking it up wrong.

Yep indeed that's my take on it, still room for the proposed Shopping complex in the old Texas site. The same developed too so you would imagine there will be some alignment between them.

Let's hope it gets down in any case, it would really clean up that part of town in tandem with the new lidl development. Good to see construction in the town again at long last (including residential)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Lads, where would I source some weldmesh sheeting in Tullamore? Thanks

Advertisement