Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Eddie B wrote: »
    Lads, where would I source some weldmesh sheeting in Tullamore? Thanks

Concrete and Quarry in Cloncollog? Opposite Hyundai garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

So I see the Riverside Retail park has gone in for permission from a couple of weeks back with a decision due at the end of April.

You can see the scanned documents on the County Council planning website.

Overall it looks pretty good but looks a bit lacking from a traffic MGMT point of view. Basically just one entrance where the old car garage is now.

This entrance coupled with the new LIDL will make the stretch of road crazy busy. I'd be amazed if a condition of planning doesn't have some sort of other solution.

In reality I can see the planning dept looking for further info and I'd imagine there will be some objections. So we'll be looking at June/July at least for palling permission IMHO.

Also I see there is a garden center included in the plans, I wonder how this will affect the proposed garden center in Arden. Both these proposed developments are from the same property developer. Seems odd to me that they would build 2 garden centers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There seems to be garden centre already opening in old Hyundai garage. At least I was driving past it yesterday and they have some comming soon banners on and some work done inside.

meeeeh wrote: »
    There seems to be garden centre already opening in old Hyundai garage. At least I was driving past it yesterday and they have some comming soon banners on and some work done inside.

Well yeah thats part of the Riverside site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Hasn't Woodies a garden centre at Cloncollig. I got a lovely rambling Rose there last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 raik18

I have just moved to Tullamore. I am looking to find groups to meet people during the day. I am not working and kids are at school. There are some evening groups but they are usually around the time my husband gets home from work so we are in the middle of dinner etc. I have checked the library but nothing there.

raik18 wrote: »
    I have just moved to Tullamore. I am looking to find groups to meet people during the day. I am not working and kids are at school. There are some evening groups but they are usually around the time my husband gets home from work so we are in the middle of dinner etc. I have checked the library but nothing there.

Best to check in the community centres, there are 3 of them. Also check out the local papers . Tullamore Tribune (buy in the Shop) and the Offaly Express (gets delivered free in the town)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Where are the community centers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Checked the opening time for Dunnes Stores Bridge centre this morning online and for Sunday 21/4 the Easter opening time states 12.00 to 18.00. Arrived down there around 12.20 and the place was closed. Will it be open tomorrow does anyone know ? It's advertised for 12.00 to 18.00 tomorrow also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

Decision due tomorrow on the retail site at Riverside.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/378475/decisions-due-on-two-major-developments-in-tullamore-next-week.html

The new Lidl looks impressive. It went up very quick. Good to be bringing some life back to that part of town. Pity the Dunnes shopping centre seems to be struggling a bit. Lots of empty units. The door straight into the supermarket hasn’t helped either I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Anyone know of a taxi that is local to Kilbeggan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

medoc wrote: »

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/378475/decisions-due-on-two-major-developments-in-tullamore-next-week.html

The new Lidl looks impressive. It went up very quick. Good to be bringing some life back to that part of town. Pity the Dunnes shopping centre seems to be struggling a bit. Lots of empty units. The door straight into the supermarket hasn’t helped either I suppose.

Can't see anything other than a further information on that one, don't think OCC has made a decision in years without one!!!

Ms

The seats around the town could really do with a couple of coats of paint. Terrible the state they are in. Any chance they will be painted as they look terrible at the moment?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

AMKC wrote: »
    The seats around the town could really do with a couple of coats of paint. Terrible the state they are in. Any chance they will be painted as they look terrible at the moment?

I'd say it to the boys canvassing but something like could easily be a Tús workers job. They used to do decent work around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

medoc wrote: »

Lads is there some sort of scam about these type of shopping centres? How can anyone look at Tullamore and all the empty shops and think we need another shopping centre. Do they get money off the goverment? for setting these things up and then piss off with the money?

I keep thinking of the guy in the Simpsons who set up the Monarail.

jface187 wrote: »
    Lads is there some sort of scam about these type of shopping centres? How can anyone look at Tullamore and all the empty shops and think we need another shopping centre. Do they get money off the goverment? for setting these things up and then piss off with the money?

I keep thinking of the guy in the Simpsons who set up the Monarail.

Yeah. Arcadia, Philip Green's retail group including Top Shop, Miss Selfridge, Wallis, Topman, Burton, Dorothy Perkins is valued worthless as at the moment and there is a chance they will go into administration. M&S are closing stores, New Look is in trouble and so on... Which high street brands are interested into expanding the number of outlets? Who will rent there?

Yeah it makes no sense. Maybe Lidl or pennys I guess and fast food places, but KFC never took off here. What tullamore needs is reasons for people to come vist there. An art centre, festivals etc things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Yeah it makes no sense. Maybe Lidl or pennys I guess and fast food places, but KFC never took off here. What tullamore needs is reasons for people to come vist there. An art centre, festivals etc things like that.

Agree 100%. Rather than another multiplex cinema what would be great is a theatre with an independent type cinema showing Irish and international films rather than the Hollywood blockbusters. The wee theatre in Birr for example, is really well run, lots of things happening, tie in with the vintage week festival

I know the old kilroys building is supposed to be being converted into an arts centre which is great news

The saga of the arts centre could be a play in its own right. I think it was three years is was bought to be turned into something but still noting. It has been over ten years in development and still no sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Lads anyone know if the vegetable man on the Charleville road has moved to a new location? Haven't seen him there in over a week.

Ms

It won't be Lidl anyway as they are just building there new shop across from where this retail park is supposed to go. Maybe Aldi or that new Jyst shop that recently opened in Naas might take units there. Would love if there was an M&S in Tullamore too even if it was just a small shop as long as it had all the food.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Would love if there was an M&S in Tullamore too even if it was just a small shop as long as it had all the food.

I very much doubt it. They are closing stores and the one in Mullingar was closed years ago. I think they are putting money into food delivery services and online shopping.

Jysk and Decathlon might be an option but frankly I think there are enough empty premises around the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I don't think decathlon would move to Tullamore. Havnt they a site bought in dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I don't think decathlon would move to Tullamore. Havnt they a site bought in dublin?

Their units are usually far larger than you'd find in most retail parks.

They plan 9 stores in Ireland. You are probably right about them not going to Tullamore but considering diy stores are also closing down I really don't know who would be arriving to Tullamore. Penny's maybe.

New wood fired Pizza restaurant opening up this evening beside Captain House, it's called Pizzeria Del Capitano (same owners)
    Hopefully it's be better that the other recently opened wood fired Pizza restaurant (which shouldn't be to hard)
    https://www.facebook.com/Pizzeria-Del-Capitano-2207702119296253/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

New wood fired Pizza restaurant opening up this evening beside Captain House, it's called Pizzeria Del Capitano (same owners)
    Hopefully it's be better that the other recently opened wood fired Pizza restaurant (which shouldn't be to hard)
    https://www.facebook.com/Pizzeria-Del-Capitano-2207702119296253/

ive never seen anyone in that stovepipe blaze place

i got a pizza out of there once, tasted ok , was very thin though and was expensive

akelly02 wrote: »
    ive never seen anyone in that stovepipe blaze place

i got a pizza out of there once, tasted ok , was very thin though and was expensive

I got 4 one day for the family, it was cooked all the way through and very stingy with the toppings. I'll be amazed if it stays open this side of Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Thin base with a less is more approach on the topping front, is how pizza should be imo. Best pizza I ever had had Marinara, so essentially just a tomato & garlic base with oregano and black pepper and it was sensational.
    Unfortunately the Irish palate is more Papa Johns tick and tayshtee approach than a proper Italian style.....

That said, I haven't heard many good reviews of stovepipe blaze, shame really I was looking forward to trying it out when I am home next

Advertisement