Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Foxy bean doing a roaring trade. Must be hard to keep a shop open in town with the footfall down.

why is the footfall down? I was in town recently and it was very busy, great to see after christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

charlieIRL wrote: »
    why is the footfall down? I was in town recently and it was very busy, great to see after christmas.

Main argument seemed to be the upgrade works on High Street drove a lot of folks out of the centre of town for months in the runup to Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Tullamore badly needs new bus stops. I was there today and when the bus parks up outside the Centra shop it ends up blocking cars that are parked. One driver even got out of his car and asked the driver of the bus to move. It used to be on the main street near just after the Bridge centre but near the Mr Price shop. I don't think the bus stops are going back there but whoever is in charge could mark out a proper bus stop near the Centra shop somewhere and it might be less annoyed grumpy car drivers. Really bad that Tullamore does not have that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Hi All, does anyone know if there is a free paper circulated around the Tullamore area? And if so what's it called? Thanks Larko

• Advertisement

larko wrote: »
    Hi All, does anyone know if there is a free paper circulated around the Tullamore area? And if so what's it called? Thanks Larko

The Offaly Independent is the free paper. Can be picked up in all shops and there is an online PDF E-Paper that you can subscribe to for free also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

medoc wrote: »
    The Offaly Independent is the free paper. Can be picked up in all shops and there is an online PDF E-Paper that you can subscribe to for free also.

Also to add that it comes out on Fridays

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

medoc wrote: »

Would be great to have a development like that in walking distance of town centre to go with Lid and Dunnes. If it happens something will have to be done with traffic there and all the way out to tesco. It is a disaster as it is.

If only the mess at Texas old tesco site could be fixed up as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

DM_7 wrote: »
    Would be great to have a development like that in walking distance of town centre to go with Lid and Dunnes. If it happens something will have to be done with traffic there and all the way out to tesco. It is a disaster as it is.

If only the mess at Texas old tesco site could be fixed up as well.

Does anyone know who or what is going there? There is no point opening another cluster of shop units if the ones that are available at the moment in town are empty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

meeeeh wrote: »
    Does anyone know who or what is going there? There is no point opening another cluster of shop units if the ones that are available at the moment in town are empty.

A cinema, 15 retail units, cafe, restaurants and 8 residential units.

Imo it will be good to link in with Dunnes and Lidl, toymaster, tanyard, McDonalds etc.

• Advertisement

What’s the story with all the empty units in Church Road shopping centre? They all now seem to have Dunnes Stores branding on the windows. Who owns the centre? Dunnes or someone else. Are Dunnes planning a redevelopment of the place by incorporating the empty units into their main shop. There are only about 5 units still operating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

DM_7 wrote: »
    A cinema, 15 retail units, cafe, restaurants and 8 residential units.

Imo it will be good to link in with Dunnes and Lidl, toymaster, tanyard, McDonalds etc.

15 retail units that need to be filled. Most high street retailers are cutting the number of shops they have and moving online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone sugguest a good place to watch the Rugby today? Ideally with food, a decent screen, and not packed? Probably a but hopeful, but who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Probably fergies

Went to the Brewery Tap in the end, and enjoyed that. Free burgers at half time too.

Next question...anyone know of a 5-7 a side game of football that i could get in on? Sent a message to Tullamore FC about 11-a-side as well, so will see if that's something i can join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Does anyone in Tullamore repair LED TVs? Need to get the led strips replaced in a piece of crap LG tv that’s barely 2 yrs old because the screen is slowly turning purple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Does anyone in Tullamore repair LED TVs? Need to get the led strips replaced in a piece of crap LG tv that’s barely 2 yrs old because the screen is slowly turning purple!

What sort of warranty is on your TV. Is it to late to bring it back to where you bought it to get them to get it repaired for you?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

AMKC wrote: »
    What sort of warranty is on your TV. Is it to late to bring it back to where you bought it to get them to get it repaired for you?

Only the standard 12mth warranty, so that’s expired. I’m going to bring it back to the retailer but wanted to get an idea of cost in case they won’t repair for free.
    I know there’s some eu 6yr thing that means products should be expected to last a reasonable length of time so I’ll try that and see what they say.
    A quick google has shown that LG leds are having this problem a lot, so it has to be a fault that was present when we bought it, cheap hardware used apparently.
    The screen is unwatchable as it’s about 80% blue/purple, started in one corner and has gotten worse, so the leds are failing.
    You’d expect a tv to last longer than 2yrs for sure!

We’ve gone back to the old plasma we had and the difference is unreal. People don’t look like the young one from Willy Wonka that turned into a blueberry! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr Ed2011

Don't worry about the warranty being expired because it is the reasonable length of time that the product should be expected to last is what this issue will ultimately be decided on.

Go back to the retailer you purchased the tv from and if you are not able to resolve the issue take your case to the small claims court.

The application fee is €25 which you send along with your application form to a district court clerk, called the Small Claims Registrar. The fee is non-refundable, and the service is provided in your local district court office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Heading to tullamore in middle April Monday night for two nights with the other half what's pub scene like nightlife any recomdations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

afro man wrote: »
    Heading to tullamore in middle April Monday night for two nights with the other half what's pub scene like nightlife any recomdations

Go to Mullingar instead .

If you have to , could do worse Than the old harbor bar and the bridge house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

akelly02 wrote: »
    Go to Mullingar instead .

If you have to , could do worse Than the old harbor bar and the bridge house

cheers .. Surely Tullamore not that bad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

It is unfortunately, im not going to butter it up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Heard today Tom Texas / Texas Tom is going back to where it all started and opening a new store in a few weeks in a town centre location.

Can only be a good thing for Tullamore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Heard today Tom Texas / Texas Tom is going back to where it all started and opening a new store in a few weeks in a town centre location.

Can only be a good thing for Tullamore.

Your right as I'm working with Tom on this one .hoping to open in April/May

The old esb/Texas shop on William street looks likely.

Nope it's not don't mind them, plenty of decent pubs and restaurants especially if you havn't been here before

Bars

https://www.facebook.com/WilliamStreetTullamore/ is good for food and craft beer.

https://www.facebook.com/brewerytaptullamore/ is a decent pub with a good atmosphere, does decent food too but the finish serving food at 6PM I think

https://www.facebook.com/DigansTullamore/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARBhPXgTpEMs_ufqx4BS8f_6I7FzfdK4XRGydYPZZYuhRQNRBfeBxoQ_eu6T0u1F9ytXFeMOY8OOo36G lively pub

https://www.facebook.com/Hughlynchs/ another lively bar with music at the weekends

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eugenes/170004663046169 busy spot with a nice atmosphere but more a pub for chatting

https://www.facebook.com/bridgehousebartullamore/ has a late bar and live music, also a night club beside it. Also servers food

https://www.facebook.com/thePhoenix.tullamore/ disco bar with a late licence, very busy on a Saturday night

It's also worth checking out the old Tullamore Dew Distillery, you can do a tour (whiskey tasting included). They do a decent lunch and have a bar also, though it closes at 6PM https://www.tullamoredew.com/en-gb/visit-us/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAs67yBRC7ARIsAF49CdVwM12OFiDBgPosMxJ4ErLrs4hrCYVbXpsGgU9Cf55kxzjdAwaa8HQaAtQaEALw_wcB

For Food

If you like wood fired pizza you can't wrong with here, they serve beer too. Lively spot with good atmosphere https://www.facebook.com/Pizzeria-Del-Capitano-2207702119296253/

For the best Italian go here https://www.facebook.com/siroccosrestaurant/

For great thai and asian food you can't beat here, they also server beer and wine
    https://www.facebook.com/LanaTullamore/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARC6l_gH1h_Z5NHe7bKsT9WFFN5bP7TtBwk2QVC6VfZJOKGsrF6BefHkokkJRbBXl-JocNsmkEdmHyjm

For Irish cuisine this place is best, they do a great surf & turf and rack of lamb. They also do beer and wine
    https://www.facebook.com/theblueapron/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-direct-provision-centre-due-to-open-in-tullamore-co-offaly-1.4177910

New direct provision centre for Tullamore, will be interesting to see the reaction for the locals, hopefully they won't shame us.

I for one will welcome them, it makes far more sense to have these centres in big towns like Tullamore instead of small towns and villages

I lived across the road from the Monasterevin centre, and i met a lot of really great people. No reason to expect this will be any different for anyone who lives nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I was worried I'd come on here and see a lot of backlash, I'm relieved. I'd love to see Tullamore step up to the plate on this and get painted in a positive light.
    Direct provision is far from ideal and the people living there will have a tough enough life.
    I see on social media there is some backlash but from people not even from the town. 1 guy from Athlone sarcastically suggested that he'd hate to see someone burn the building before they move in. Appalling stuff.

I'd also like to see a community forum come together on this too promote integration into the local clubs too.

Advertisement