Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

A lot of the concerns people will have are down to the unknown and lack of information about how direct provision works and people who will live there will be under scrutiny as a result.

The difficulty of the system and isolation of people in refuge adds to the fears.

Almost 65,000 people have passed through the centres since established so the centres are just boarding areas, it is very difficult, with that type of turnover or if someobe is in one place over a longer period that they cannot work, for residents to integrate into the local area.

It will only take one incident to make it into a big story and be seen as very negative.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's a horrible system, run by for profit companies that, for the most part, don't give a single **** about the asylum seekers who come through. The residents in these centres are given **** all support, and have to figure out a huge amount on their own. 8 people in a hostel type room, entire families in single rooms with en suites etc...The money these companies make is sickening, given how badly run some of the centres are.

But there's not really a viable alternative at the moment, and i doubt it will change anytime soon.

None of this is the fault of the refugees though, and as i said above, i've met some genuinely lovely people who have experienced some absolutely horrific situations, and only want a chance at a better life.

The system can be improved for sure.

Below is a good (in a bad way) example of the scaremongering that will go on. The difficulties of the system are used to play us issues that don't exist (I can walk into doctors tomorrow and see one for example)

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/discriminating-against-ordinary-citizens-cllr-objects-to-tullamore-direct-provision-centre-982626.html

Disengenous stuff from certain people who look to reach the lowest common thoughts to get a few votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Titclamp wrote: »
    Why are the folk in the direct provision centre in portarlington banned from the local swimming pool for exposure? Is that not illegal? Like a criminal act? And why were they attacking young guys on new years night in the town for no reason?

Are they being vetted at all?

Have you any proof of that claim, where did you hear this ?

Who needs proof when you can have sound bites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Have you any proof of that claim, where did you hear this ?

Live in port and I go to that pool and its fact around here. Kids use that pool as well.

Not that the media tell ya otherwise. Sure its only a town who cares. Wouldn't a good job thing for people to hear.

Sure I know the owners of the hotel for the dd and the crap about box rooms. I walk pass it everyday and there's not overcrowding. Why all the lies?? Come up to port and ask around instead of relying on Chinese whispers

Titclamp wrote: »
    Live in port and I go to that pool and its fact around here. Kids use that pool as well.

Not that the media tell ya otherwise. Sure its only a town who cares. Wouldn't a good job thing for people to hear.

Sure I know the owners of the hotel for the dd and the crap about box rooms. I walk pass it everyday and there's not overcrowding. Why all the lies?? Come up to port and ask around instead of relying on Chinese whispers

I work in Port, I've seen no evidence of what you are talking about. Sounds like vicious rumours to me and until you can provide evidence I do not believe you.

If this truly happened them they would have been ran out of town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Sounds like the "A guy in the pub told me" BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

I work in Port, I've seen no evidence of what you are talking about. Sounds like vicious rumours to me and until you can provide evidence I do not believe you.

If this truly happened them they would have been ran out of town.

No evidence? I take your just a commuter and don't know the town at all. Have I got video evidence no? I'm sure there is.

Go down and ask at the pool then. You'll get your answer. No one is gonna get ran out of the town.
    Ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Kiith wrote: »
    I lived across the road from the Monasterevin centre, and i met a lot of really great people. No reason to expect this will be any different for anyone who lives nearby.

Beside the unofficial halting site?

What was it like living beside that?
    https://goo.gl/maps/ZEpFC4tJYm6SYYun8

• Advertisement

Never a peep out of them. Knew some of the kids that lived there, and they were really well behaved tbh. We have two cats and always seemed to get a kick out of seeing them.

Never a peep out of them. Knew some of the kids that lived there, and they were really well behaved tbh. We have two cats and always seemed to get a kick out of seeing them.

Yeah, yeah. Upstanding members of the community :rolleyes:

https://kildare-nationalist.ie/2015/01/20/caravan-seized-by-gardai/

Not sure a word out of your mouth can be believed about the asylum center, if you never heard 'a peep' from the halting site either lol.

As i said, i never heard anything bad from that house or surroundings. I didn't live there in 2015, so can't really comment on that article. The kids were nice and i never really saw any of the adults. I'm not going to treat them badly just cause they are travelers.

As for what i said about the DP centre's, believe what you want. Maybe actually talk to someone living in one if you want a real look into how they are run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yeah, yeah. Upstanding members of the community :rolleyes:

https://kildare-nationalist.ie/2015/01/20/caravan-seized-by-gardai/

Not sure a word out of your mouth can be believed about the asylum center, if you never heard 'a peep' from the halting site either lol.

I have no intention getting into Traveller debates but when you have to post 5 years old article in local newspaper you lost your argument.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I have no intention getting into Traveller debates but when you have to post 5 years old article in local newspaper you lost your argument.

When you have to defend a site at the centre of a Criminal Asset Bureau investigation, you've lost the argument.

Many of them sca-doodled out of there after that raid, if i remember. Nomadic criminals tend to do that. Hence no more raids reported.

When you have to defend a site at the centre of a Criminal Asset Bureau investigation, you've lost the argument.

Many of them sca-doodled out of there after that raid, if i remember. Nomadic criminals tend to do that. Hence no more raids reported.

So if criminals left it would imply it is a quiet halting site.

How is this relevant in Tullamore thread is a bit confusing unless the actual subject is your hobby horse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Folks, calm down. This is hardly the place for getting into this kind of argument, the forum doesn't exist for this stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Drop it, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ok, so change of topic.

Whats the best gym in the Tullamore area? This will be for basic cardio (treadmill/bike) and some light weights.

Been looking at either the Aura centre or the Bridge House's gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Ok, so change of topic.

Whats the best gym in the Tullamore area? This will be for basic cardio (treadmill/bike) and some light weights.

Been looking at either the Aura centre or the Bridge House's gym.

bridge house hands down

• Advertisement

When was the bridge last updated?

It was in poor order the last time I was there but that was about 3 or 4 years ago.

For any gym, I would go and visit at the time that you are most likely to go and try it out first. That way you know what you are signing up for.

Anyone recommend a good garage? I've to get my 2010 Focus serviced before the NCT in March, and have absolutely no idea what i should be looking for.

Anyone recommend a good garage? I've to get my 2010 Focus serviced before the NCT in March, and have absolutely no idea what i should be looking for.

We have used these guys in the tanyard and found them decent on price and work, http://www.xtrapages.ie/AUTO-REPAIRS-/Offaly/Tullamore/Andriy-Motors-Ltd-Tullamore/2307

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Da Optimist

DM_7 wrote: »
    When was the bridge last updated?

It was in poor order the last time I was there but that was about 3 or 4 years ago.

For any gym, I would go and visit at the time that you are most likely to go and try it out first. That way you know what you are signing up for.

I recently rejoined the Bridge after a 5 year gap. I was so disappointed. It hasn't been updated since 2014 and those were only minor changes. The original gym has not been updated in 15 years and the same run down exhausted equipment is still in place. The whole gym in general is run down with damage to mirrors and many thredmills not working. Only one original staff member remains but only very part time. The new staff don't seem as engaging or interested in their customers. Just appalling on the bridges part to let it come to this. It is in dire need of an overhaul / extensive refurbishmeht. The pool has remained the exact same for 20 years. The pictures of the gym on their website are about 15 years old.

William St. pub closed down today, another pub bites the dust. No where to go for craft beer now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

William St. pub closed down today, another pub bites the dust. No where to go for craft beer now :(

Never got the same crowd in since it was the Wolftrap

Their food wasn't too bad but it had no atmosphere.

Went there a couple of times recently at lunch and food was good. It was almost empty though, with the state of the town due to roadworks I can see why a business would struggle to get trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

It has struggled for a long time, long before the road works started.
    When it was tanyard lane it was the same. OK food but zero atmosphere. Not sure what the Wolftrap had that these places struggled to find.

Advertisement