Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Not been down that end of town for ages, any idea what will be sellin? The likes of Texas of old; bit of clothes, bit of home furnishings etc?

I don't know for sure, but if it's Texas of old...it'll be the stack them high and sell them cheap model...with loadsa bargains and dare I say it, dangerously low prices.
    Can't wait for the Radio 3 ads..'Texas Tom you're curazyyy'

It can only be good for the town. When Texas opened up there years ago the Co-Op was on the go across the road and that junction was always busy especially fair day with the farmers going into the Co-Op for their bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Not been down that end of town for ages, any idea what will be sellin? The likes of Texas of old; bit of clothes, bit of home furnishings etc?

It's pretty much designer bargains but like TK Maxx, whatever is there is there. So many of each product and when it's gone, you guessed it, it's gone

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Great to see new proposals for the Texas/Quinnsworth site. Hopefully these ones finally happen. A new supermarket is planned as the main part of it. Who is it likely to be? The only possible one I can think of is Iceland unless a second Aldi goes in.

Pity to hear of the DEW closing at the canal. Always likely to happen when they move tours out to the distillery. It would make a great location for a Tullamore/Offaly museum. Canal history and plenty of Bord Na Mona history too. Wouldn’t be as popular as the Whiskey but would be a great addition to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

medoc wrote: »
    Great to see new proposals for the Texas/Quinnsworth site. Hopefully these ones finally happen. A new supermarket is planned as the main part of it. Who is it likely to be? The only possible one I can think of is Iceland unless a second Aldi goes in.

Pity to hear of the DEW closing at the canal. Always likely to happen when they move tours out to the distillery. It would make a great location for a Tullamore/Offaly museum. Canal history and plenty of Bord Na Mona history too. Wouldn’t be as popular as the Whiskey but would be a great addition to the town.

Supervalu maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Supervalu maybe?

i think maybe supervalu or iceland. however its one thing getting planning permission... its another getting a retailer to rent it in such a highly competitive market.

• Advertisement

i think maybe supervalu or iceland. however its one thing getting planning permission... its another getting a retailer to rent it in such a highly competitive market.

Most if not all SuperValu are franchises and I can’t see anyone taking on one of those in a competitive place like Tullamore. Possible though. Iceland were looking for a location in Tullamore and Aldi are also looking for a second location so most likely one of those. I’m sure Flanagan would have talked to potential tenants before going this far. At this stage almost any proposal would get permission there as it’s become such an eyesore in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Its a two minutes walk :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Where would be the best place in town for pub grub? Gonna go tonight, in case they decide to lock us all down again.

The Brewery Tap looks decent. Anywhere else?

Kiith wrote: »
    Where would be the best place in town for pub grub? Gonna go tonight, in case they decide to lock us all down again.

The Brewery Tap looks decent. Anywhere else?

Digans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

are all the wet pubs closing again tonight? im thinking of those that cant do outdoor like eugenes etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

are all the wet pubs closing again tonight? im thinking of those that cant do outdoor like eugenes etc?

I think they can serve outdoors, but limited to about 15 or so at a time.

Yep, eugenes, fergies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

That is a massive loss, the Tullamore Dew Cafe was the best spot in town for lunch and a real plus to the town, even if it is moved out to the new distillery it will be a loss to the town centre, very sad news. It was a great location for it in my opinion, really hope that something else goes in there

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

Ah bugger! Very rarely get home to Tullamore, even rarer now with the Coronavirus, but I liked the TD Café for a spot of lunch and a pint. Quiet, no 24-hour rolling news on 17 screens, nice beer.

It's always a shame to see stuff closing or disappearing from the town, reducing walkability, creating more traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Anyone know what is going into Quigleys on Patrick street

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I'm looking to recycle an insulated copper cylinder.
    Does anyone know where I can take one for cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Anyone hear where and when Screwfix is opening in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I had heard they are opening in Athlone and Mullingar but not Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Guill wrote: »
    I had heard they are opening in Athlone and Mullingar but not Tullamore.

They are currently advertising for jobs for Screwfix Tullamore, but like the previous poster I have no idea where. Perhaps the old Coans site in Axis business park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

There is a steel frame of a private hospital that was never built in Tullamore, some of you may have seen it as you drive by the town.

The steel structure is still fine, it is right beside the Midlands Regional Hospital. Just off the M6 and in a central location.

Would it not be prudent of the HSE to purchase this site an build a Covid hospital here ? It appears even with vaccines available we sill still need a to deal with Covid so surly this would make a prefect site for it as it is half built already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There is a steel frame of a private hospital that was never built in Tullamore, some of you may have seen it as you drive by the town.

The steel structure is still fine, it is right beside the Midlands Regional Hospital. Just off the M6 and in a central location.

Would it not be prudent of the HSE to purchase this site an build a Covid hospital here ? It appears even with vaccines available we sill still need a to deal with Covid so surly this would make a prefect site for it as it is half built already

This is to be used as a nursing home* as reported recently in the Offaly Express.

*planning pending

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Plans in place for that site already (apparently) https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/580838/ambitious-plans-unveiled-for-half-built-hospital-outside-tullamore.html

It’s a terrible eyesore on the main entrance into the town from Dublin. Hopefully the nursing home plan comes to be. Maybe also an entrance into the Midlands Regional Hospital from the bypass would be a good addition to the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I can see what Aldi are doing but it seems nonsensical to have a second store in Tullamore, especially at this location. The current store really well located, easy access etc, the new proposed location would appear to be a conjested location unless they can open it up a bit. The pandemic aside, it's obvious the new Lidl doing OK, just OK, I've rarely seen it even half full and the original store is practically shut with weeds developing in the Isles, if it weren't lidl being terrified of Aldi opening a second store, I'd say lidl would have shut their first store long ago, maybe now they will. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see the volume of business to justify 2 x Lidl & 2 x Aldi, let alone 2 x Dunnes and 1 x Tesco

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I can see what Aldi are doing but it seems nonsensical to have a second store in Tullamore, especially at this location. The current store really well located, easy access etc, the new proposed location would appear to be a conjested location unless they can open it up a bit. The pandemic aside, it's obvious the new Lidl doing OK, just OK, I've rarely seen it even half full and the original store is practically shut with weeds developing in the Isles, if it weren't lidl being terrified of Aldi opening a second store, I'd say lidl would have shut their first store long ago, maybe now they will. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see the volume of business to justify 2 x Lidl & 2 x Aldi, let alone 2 x Dunnes and 1 x Tesco

Yea realistically the only options for another supermarket in town was a second Aldi or an Iceland. Hard to see both Aldi or Lidl stores been very busy given their market share. Both Dunnes are doing a very good trade. Tesco is so big it never seems very packed. Though pity they wouldn’t put more staff on the checkouts at times.

akelly02 wrote: »
    2 aldi and 2 lidl.... waheyy

Yep Tullamore the New York of the Midlands

Yea realistically the only options for another supermarket in town was a second Aldi or an Iceland. Hard to see both Aldi or Lidl stores been very busy given their market share. Both Dunnes are doing a very good trade. Tesco is so big it never seems very packed. Though pity they wouldn’t put more staff on the checkouts at times.

It's funny but I never used Tesco until Covid-19 arrived, actually thought the emptyness around 8.30am was a godsend albeit every second visit and using the self scan service, I had to get refund request at customer service due to incorrect pricing being charged.

• Advertisement

Yep Tullamore the New York of the Midlands

Not at the moment or for quite some time, unless your referring to new York lockdown. Christ on a bike, I've never seen it as quite, I've heard Tullamore County Council past a motion for Christmas planting, they passed the use of Thumbleweed for this year.

Advertisement