Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

The old lidl was always packed before the new one was open, so much so I stopped going there.

The current Aldi is always packed, so much so I avoid going there.

Do you guys see a theme here ?

These guys are a multi billion euro company, do you really think they open loss market supermarkets ?

Have you ever heard of any Lidl or Aldi stores closing in Ireland ?

They are building these locations to make money, plain and simple. They know their business plans and sales projections just a little more that you guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The old lidl was always packed before the new one was open, so much so I stopped going there.

The current Aldi is always packed, so much so I avoid going there.

Do you guys see a theme here ?

These guys are a multi billion euro company, do you really think they open loss market supermarkets ?

Have you ever heard of any Lidl or Aldi stores closing in Ireland ?

They are building these locations to make money, plain and simple. They know their business plans and sales projections just a little more that you guys :D

A bit of a stretch to say old lidl was ever packed, rarely have I seen it half full or a quarter full for that matter, indeed I'll go as far as to say, lidl are shifting product down there from new store and putting it on special. Little of no interest seems to have been focused on the older store since new one opened and there's a definite reduction in staffing levels.

I agree these business's do their research but I still question the viability of 4 of these stores in Tullamore and this even before the pandemic.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

have to agree that 2 aldis and 2 lidls are not needed. but Flanagan dosent care sure he will get the rent and the credit for developing an eyesore in the centre of the town.

have to agree that 2 aldis and 2 lidls are not needed. but Flanagan dosent care sure he will get the rent and the credit for developing an eyesore in the centre of the town.

Flanagan? I thought they had a spot of bother with NAMA, banks etc. I'd DOUBT Aldi will be paying rent to anyone, I thought they own most if not all their sites?

Dempo1 wrote: »
    A bit of a stretch to say old lidl was ever packed, rarely have I seen it half full or a quarter full for that matter, indeed I'll go as far as to say, lidl are shifting product down there from new store and putting it on special. Little of no interest seems to have been focused on the older store since new one opened and there's a definite reduction in staffing levels.

I agree these business's do their research but I still question the viability of 4 of these stores in Tullamore and this even before the pandemic.

The old Lidl was packed, hence the need for a new store. I don't think you are understanding the logic here.

The pandemic has seen increased sales in grocery stores so that point makes no sense

• Advertisement

The pandemic has seen increased sales in grocery stores so that point makes no sense

I'm referring to general footfall, Tullamore is decimated at the moment, was in there this morning and Grim would be a generous discription.

I'm referring to general footfall, Tullamore is decimated at the moment, was in there this morning and Grim would be a generous discription.

Mmm you are aware we are in level 5 lockdown, even Dublin is dead at the moment, but hey I guess you have better market research than Lidl and Aldi. You should give Aldi a heads up on your expert analysis before they pour their money down the drain.

BTW have you ever been to an Aldi or Lidl in small towns such as Portarlington ? They are very quite by Tullamore standards but they keep building in towns like that anyway, I wonder why ?

Mmm you are aware we are in level 5 lockdown, even Dublin is dead at the moment, but hey I guess you have better market research than Lidl and Aldi. You should give Aldi a heads up on your expert analysis before they pour their money down the drain.

BTW have you ever been to an Aldi or Lidl in small towns such as Portarlington ? They are very quite by Tullamore standards but they keep building in towns like that anyway, I wonder why ?

Of course I understand there's a lockdown but anyone being objective can see Tullamores footfall has diminished substantially for well over 3 years. I know the road works didn't help, I work in mullingar and it was worse, infact hasn't recovered and I'm sure people have heard about the infamous new traffic light system, Disaster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Hi lads. My dad is in hospital in Tullamore and I need to pick up and wash some clothes for him. Are there any of those public washing machines and dryers in the town so that I could get it done in one trip. Thanks

L'prof wrote: »
    Hi lads. My dad is in hospital in Tullamore and I need to pick up and wash some clothes for him. Are there any of those public washing machines and dryers in the town so that I could get it done in one trip. Thanks

Sorry to hear that, there are 2 locations I'm aware of, the easiest one to reach is at the Tesco car park, the other at the circle K garage opposite the tullamore Court Hotel. You might need to check if there's times they don't operate but I think they can be used at anytime,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, they are 24 hour machines as far as i know.

That’s great, thanks for that. I’m not overly familiar with Tullamore but the last time I was there I was in LIDL and McDonald’s, Tesco seems to be just out that road a bit?

That’s great, thanks for that. I’m not overly familiar with Tullamore but the last time I was there I was in LIDL and McDonald’s, Tesco seems to be just out that road a bit?

When exiting hospital, take a right turn, get onto bypass, next right, keep right on second roundabout, head towards via bypass back to tullamore, next roundabout, keep right, you'll see Tesco to left, Aldi to right good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

medoc wrote: »
    It’s a terrible eyesore on the main entrance into the town from Dublin. Hopefully the nursing home plan comes to be. Maybe also an entrance into the Midlands Regional Hospital from the bypass would be a good addition to the plans.

If it was out in Boora, it would be acclaimed as 'art'.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

An Ri rua wrote: »
    If it was out in Boora, it would be acclaimed as 'art'.

Don't be knocking Boora, the only bit of sanity we get is walking around there in lockdown!!!

That went well today anyway, thanks lads. I didn’t have to wait for the washer or dryer and the machine at Tesco was one of the newer ones that took card. McDonald’s for lunch hot the spot. Is there anywhere nice open at the moment for takeout lunch if I have to go back again?

That went well today anyway, thanks lads. I didn’t have to wait for the washer or dryer and the machine at Tesco was one of the newer ones that took card. McDonald’s for lunch hot the spot. Is there anywhere nice open at the moment for takeout lunch if I have to go back again?

Glad you got sorted, actually need to use one of those machines for duvet soon, I gather from your post, you can put the wash on and come back?

Re take out, there's quite a few but one quite near the machines in tesco is Maunsells Pub/ Garage, you pass it on left, just before tesco, currently an applegreen but re branding to Texaco shortly, they now do a take out carvery from the Pub attached.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

medoc wrote: »

Crikey that would be a traffic nightmare coming from Kilbride Street.

Shocking bad design too.

Glad you got sorted, actually need to use one of those machines for duvet soon, I gather from your post, you can put the wash on and come back?

Re take out, there's quite a few but one quite near the machines in tesco is Maunsells Pub/ Garage, you pass it on left, just before tesco, currently an applegreen but re branding to Texaco shortly, they now do a take out carvery from the Pub attached.

Yeah there’s a few different setting on both machines and they each have different times. I set a timer on my phone and did a few bits and came back

I saw the sign for the car very but with the pub being shut I didn’t know was it an old sign. Can you order in the garage?

Yeah there’s a few different setting on both machines and they each have different times. I set a timer on my phone and did a few bits and came back

I saw the sign for the car very but with the pub being shut I didn’t know was it an old sign. Can you order in the garage?

They have an access door to the carvery in the garage section, it's take away only I believe (I'd forgotten about pubs and lockdown but I'm sure the take out carvery is available, maybe others can confirm?

Thanks re washing machines, I'll give it a go during the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Crikey that would be a traffic nightmare coming from Kilbride Street.

Shocking bad design too.

Yea they’ll probably put in lights like the nightmare ones at the new Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Gympodie

This may seem a foolish question, so apologies in advance, but has anyone heard anything of this years Tullamore Christmas market? Or the usual choirs and stalls in the Bridge Centre this year? I can't imagine the usual numbers congregating in the Bridge Centre this year.

Obviously this year is going to be a lot different.

Anyone heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Gympodie wrote: »
    This may seem a foolish question, so apologies in advance, but has anyone heard anything of this years Tullamore Christmas market? Or the usual choirs and stalls in the Bridge Centre this year? I can't imagine the usual numbers congregating in the Bridge Centre this year.

Obviously this year is going to be a lot different.

Anyone heard anything?

Can't see it going ahead, you'd have to imagine that any event that would be likely to get large crowds gathering will be off the table for the imediate future.

Even the christmas lights switch on has gone virtual for this year: https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/-keepoffalyinbusiness/587879/virtual-switch-on-for-tullamore-christmas-lights-as-30-000-investment-secures-new-features.html

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Gympodie

Can't see it going ahead, you'd have to imagine that any event that would be likely to get large crowds gathering will be off the table for the imediate future.

Even the christmas lights switch on has gone virtual for this year: https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/-keepoffalyinbusiness/587879/virtual-switch-on-for-tullamore-christmas-lights-as-30-000-investment-secures-new-features.html

Thanks for your reply and the link.

I just read on the front of the Tullamore Tribune today that they have cancelled this years Christmas Market too. Surely the choirs and stalls in the Bridge Centre will follow next.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

*** SUMMER CHRISTMAS PARTY ***

Can ye help me prove I'm not going mad?

I seem to remember, in around the mid-80s, ads in the Tullamore Tribune for Christmas parties happening in the summer, possibly linked to some charity as a fund-raising thing. As I remember, it would have been a theme night (probably in the Bridge House) with people wearing Xmas garb, Xmas decorations and music. Can anyone else remember this?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Eddie B wrote: »
    Anyone hear where and when Screwfix is opening in the town?

It’s going in beside Expert out in Cloncollig.

Anyone know we're to get replacement stove glass in Tullamore? There used to be place at the Tanyard we're the new Lidl is, not sure if there still in Tullamore, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The Colour Yard in Tanyard do glass .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Anyone know we're to get replacement stove glass in Tullamore? There used to be place at the Tanyard we're the new Lidl is, not sure if there still in Tullamore, thanks

You're talking about Midland PVC. He's still in the tanyard,

• Advertisement

You're talking about Midland PVC. He's still in the tanyard,

Thanks, I get my car serviced at whites garage, I remember they were in the small courtyard area that Lidl built on, just checked Google maps and see we're they are now. Thanks again.

Advertisement