Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

An Ri rua wrote: »
    That was the Chicken Ranch.....
    In Rochfortbridge 

Yes, Bolger's Hotel. I think my grandfathers funeral send-off was there in 82.
    And I distinctly remember the diagonal chrome handle on the bookmark door.

The Ritz!! Beside the Bookmark? Where the Chinese is now? There were 4 or 5 cinemas in town at that time. 4 anyway.
    Abba was on in the Ritz and it was U7 accompanied. When we for tobit, my father brought my sister and brother but not me! The censor was strict; and parents were too.

No it was definately the remnants of a factory or something similar at the back of Pearse Park known as the Chicken factory, I think it's where the Scouts is now.

The Ritz was where the road is now into the housing estate off High Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Menarys? That was, like, last week in the Tullamore timeline.
    No, I'm thinking of Champs. Disappeared in the very early 80s. Morris' shop was up from it and Gilsons across from it.

Awe ok.
    medoc wrote: »
    The Unicorn. Yea we frequented it back in the day too. A big bottle of red lemonade and some taytos kept us amused whine my mum and dad had a couple of drinks. I also vaguely remember when Tesco was the supermarket where the old Dunnes is now.

Yes I think I remember that too. Can't be that long since Tesco moved to where they are as its a fairly modern store.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

AMKC wrote: »
    Awe ok.

Yes I think I remember that too. Can't be that long since Tesco moved to where they are as its a fairly modern store.

Tesco there at least 15 years now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

AMKC wrote: »

Quinnsworth was taken over by Tesco in 1998 I think. And they rebranded the old Tullamore store a year or two later. They moved out to the big superstore in 2001 if I remember rightly. But in the 1980’s Tesco was in Church Road Shopping Centre. They left Ireland and Dunnes bought the place from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Looks like the new pub/club touted fro O'Connor park is finally going to open.
    They posted on their facebook page that they are opening in July
    https://www.facebook.com/thePhoenix.tullamore/

Also the new woodfired pizza place is opening on the 8th of June where the Acorn used to be https://www.facebook.com/GourmetSourdough/

• Advertisement

I think they’ve dropped the club idea and are going with a late bar. No harm in having another option in town. Some good pubs have gone over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

medoc wrote:
    Quinnsworth was taken over by Tesco in 1998 I think. And they rebranded the old Tullamore store a year or two later. They moved out to the big superstore in 2001 if I remember rightly. But in the 1980’s Tesco was in Church Road Shopping Centre. They left Ireland and Dunnes bought the place from them.

Quite sure it was H Williams that was in the old Dunne's Stores. And possibly Powers Supermarket before them.
    Quinnsworth was in the centre of town, off Patrick St and Offaly St. Bought over by Tesco and rebranded.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Also the new woodfired pizza place is opening on the 8th of June where the Acorn used to be https://www.facebook.com/GourmetSourdough/

I'd say its in O'Connor Square and not O'Connor Park even though feeding some of them with drink up there might help!!!:D:D:D

Quite sure it was H Williams that was in the old Dunne's Stores. And possibly Powers Supermarket before them.
    Quinnsworth was in the centre of town, off Patrick St and Offaly St. Bought over by Tesco and rebranded.

Yea I’m not sure exactly. I’m remembering way back to when I was very young. It definitely was another supermarket before Dunnes bought it. I remember been in a Tesco when they were first in Ireland before they left but that could easily have been in Dublin. Not necessarily in Church Road Shopping Centre. I actually worked in the old Quinnsworth around the time Tesco bought them out. But I had left before they moved out to Cloncollig.

Yea I’m not sure exactly. I’m remembering way back to when I was very young. It definitely was another supermarket before Dunnes bought it. I remember been in a Tesco when they were first in Ireland before they left but that could easily have been in Dublin. Not necessarily in Church Road Shopping Centre. I actually worked in the old Quinnsworth around the time Tesco bought them out. But I had left before they moved out to Cloncollig.

There was a supermarket in the Church road shopping centre before Tesco and Dunnes. They were in Mullingar also. I don't think it was Albert Gubay's outfit...but something similiar.

All the products were displayed in the boxes they came in and there was no shelving as such. I just can't remember the name. The checkouts were inside the front door iirc.

I've just been googling the above and wondering was it Crazy Prices, on reading another thread from 10 years ago it mentioned toy monkey's hanging from the ceiling in the veg dept and I remember those toys hanging from the ceiling.

• Advertisement

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    it mentioned toy monkey's hanging from the ceiling in the veg dept and I remember those toys hanging from the ceiling.

Yes that actually rings a bell.

Yes that actually rings a bell.

I don't remember much about the 80's it's a kinda a blur....but there's a few flashes of memories of those hanging monkeys *lol*

My friends and I remember a Portaloo in the Kilbride carpark in the 80's for a short time. Other's say there wasn't one and I must be thinking of the public toilets in Market Square....which I do remember but they were built of concrete. I digress.

I see the Copper Pot has a sold sign up, wonder who bought it and what their plans are for it.

Also on Bob Smyths, I heard somebody bought and do plan to open it back up as a pub, anybody hear anything about this ?

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    I don't remember much about the 80's it's a kinda a blur....but there's a few flashes of memories of those hanging monkeys *lol*

My friends and I remember a Portaloo in the Kilbride carpark in the 80's for a short time. Other's say there wasn't one and I must be thinking of the public toilets in Market Square....which I do remember but they were built of concrete. I digress.

That toilet was there well into the 90s, you paid ten or twenty pence and the door opened.

That toilet was there well into the 90s, you paid ten or twenty pence and the door opened.

They could do with bringing it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Mena Mitty wrote:

Yes, you are correct. Late 80s into early 90s. It was white and it was self cleaning. And we all thought it was hilarious. Just down from where the bottle bank is now. It would been behind the O'Connell St markets when they were there every few Fridays. That market was a big part of Tullamore too.

Yes, you are correct. Late 80s into early 90s. It was white and it was self cleaning. And we all thought it was hilarious. Just down from where the bottle bank is now. It would been behind the O'Connell St markets when they were there every few Fridays. That market was a big part of Tullamore too.

We were afraid to use it. Because someone knew someone to heard of a lad who was using it when the door opened....

Lidl reporting on Facebook that Offaly Co Co have given permission for their new store across from McDonalds

Lidl reporting on Facebook that Offaly Co Co have given permission for their new store across from McDonalds

Article about it in this weeks Tribune.

We were afraid to use it. Because someone knew someone to heard of a lad who was using it when the door opened....

Or the lad who's dogs brothers owner was in it and the selfcleaning turned on while he was in it.

• Advertisement

I see the old Capital Cars garage is nearly ready to open, finishing touches being done today.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I see the old Capital Cars garage is nearly ready to open, finishing touches being done today.

Who's going in there ?

Who's going in there ?

Fitzpatrick’s is what I heard but am not 100% sure. Looks great to see it all cleaned up and the broken glass replaced.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Fitzpatrick’s is what I heard but am not 100% sure. Looks great to see it all cleaned up and the broken glass replaced.
    Hopefully the redevelopment of the old Central Garage/ Coens site goes ahead soon.

Waterways Ireland hopefully going to redevelop the Harbour area. I couldn’t believe how big the area was until I was in there recently. If the moved outside the town area to modern workshops it has great potential for the town. Though maybe not like the Dublin docklands lol

http://www.tullamoretribune.ie/articles/news/65022

And new Lidl got the green light!

Or the lad who's dogs brothers owner was in it and the selfcleaning turned on while he was in it.

Oh yea we heard about him too.

And new Lidl got the green light!

Hope there’s enough parking spaces and the size is good. Parking in the store on Main Street can be a pain in the hole at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Best barbers in the town?
    Probably a fade cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭laros

Best barbers in the town?
    Probably a fade cut

Andy in notorious is a good man for the fade cuts....

Advertisement