Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm and company recommendation.

Options
  • 10-05-2017 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the Kildare area and I'm looking to get/upgrade our current alarm.

I've researched a bit and saw that HKC Securewave might be one to look into.

I want an alarm that has no yearly payments or what not, can be used with a good app, with plenty of features.

Just looking for a good reputable company, with reasonable prices.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Well I agree that the HKC Securewave does indeed tick all the boxes.

But they charge for their service as a SIM is required if ideally you don't want to be at the mercy of your broadband and electricity provider for notifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

kub wrote: »
    Well I agree that the HKC Securewave does indeed tick all the boxes.

But they charge for their service as a SIM is required if ideally you don't want to be at the mercy of your broadband and electricity provider for notifications.

Well I guess the charge or cost of sim wouldn't be that much, would it, it's just for texts that go out is it?

Would SIM be the better to go for over wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The issue with Wi-Fi is this, alarm systems are designed to still function in the event of a power cut. Wi-Fi cannot. So your alarm will still work but you will not get notified of activations etc or even the event of the power cut.

The GSM or whatever communication device is in the panel will still function as it has battery back up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

HKC with the GSM for app and a alerts which will notify you regardless of power cuts or phone lines tampered with. Apart from that, it's the most reliable and versatile system out there.

I seem to be on the right track then.

I was also curious about CCTV/IP camera(s), has anyone gotten one with their alarm system, it's it good/bad, etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

lewis wrote: »
    I seem to be on the right track then.

I was also curious about CCTV/IP camera(s), has anyone gotten one with their alarm system, it's it good/bad, etc..

You have the option off adding PIR cameras to the HKC system also.
    If activated for an alarm condition it will send 3 snap shots to your app.
    If you went for a dedication CCTV system the HikVision is what would be recommended.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most good systems have the options of multiple comms paths now.
    The difference is how some of them react if all paths fail.
    There is a lot of good information on the differences in this thread.

Mod Edit.

Ok guys this is boards.ie
    It's not a commercial vehicle or a customer feedback page.

Lewis, I understand that your intentions were good and that you also have questions for a particular supplier, but can you please address them privately. Thank you

Advertisement