Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Gaming & Gambling

Options
  • 10-05-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Very interesting topic on the radio on the way into work this morning from what i can only describe as three out of touch old men. The premise of the argument they were making is that gambling in folk under 18 is growing because kids now have easy access to online applications ect.

One of the big reaches i thought they made was that the likes of counter strike has contributed heavily to the process particularly the likes of the skin trading that exists last year or so. The guy who brought up this point heavily implied allot of online gaming was creating a bridge to hardcore gambling for teens.

My thoughts are that it is a big jump to say that micro transactions in games leads to hard core gambling on the GAA ect.

However while i disagree with the point i am intrigued by the conversation. What do the good folk of boards think?

I will point out that they were very weak on the argument of the parental responsibility, it was mentioned barely in passing that you need a credit card to sign up to these sites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Lots of serious gambling goes on or at least went on with stuff like CSGO skins. It's not just micro transactions, you have kids literally gambling hundreds of dollars on nothing more than a coin flip for something to make your gun look pretty in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That is insane, didnt they outlaw this?

Where the hell are the parents in all of this. I am just perplexed that kids who cannot sign a contract are getting up to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Sure there was the whole fiasco with your man TMartn and his buddy who "Found" this website for gambling CS:GO skins and sh!t, only for it to turn out he owned the site and it massively encouraged the younger generation to participate. Last I heard there was a court case pending, but haven't heard anything since.

The big thing however is the gambling widespread in Ireland? The way these guys were talking about it was that online gaming was the "gateway drug" and they were then going on to harder things using paddy powe apps ect.

I must be so far removed from it, in my day my parents would be onto me like a ton of bricks if i put more than a sub on the credit card a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I guess times are different and kids nowadays have much more disposable income than years ago. I honestly don't how how widespread gambling is in other games but CSGO is rife. If you want to know how much money can be involved here, I just looked and one of the most coveted skins in CSGO is the Dragon Lore for the AWP. Sells for around $1,700USD and upwards.

This is the illegitimate side of things but I saw a facebook advert for Ladbrokes the other day advertising gambling for a CSGO tourney so everyone is in on it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sure buying packs in FIFA is blatant out-and-out gambling.

Buying gear bags in Uncharted hoping to get the best weapons is 100% gambling.

I refuse to ever do any micro-transactions on any game. I paid my money for the game in the first place, don't want to pay any more than that.

The big question i have is how the hell are kids buying them these days without the payment methods required.

I suppose it is a call to action for people to take notice but i didnt think it was so widespread that it would be a gateway to harder gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Calhoun wrote: »
    The big question i have is how the hell are kids buying them these days without the payment methods required.

I suppose it is a call to action for people to take notice but i didnt think it was so widespread that it would be a gateway to harder gambling.

You can buy PSN cards in Gamestop which give you a code - So you can pay cash-in-hand for your 'virtual points' which are accessed through a code which you then spend online.

callaway92 wrote: »
    You can buy PSN cards in Gamestop which give you a code - So you can pay cash-in-hand for your 'virtual points' which are accessed through a code which you then spend online.

How are they getting the money though ? Is the fifa things really gambling can they be sold on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lootbox systems in games are 100% gambling in my eyes and if there is the option to buy them for real cash or buy the game's specific currency which is then used to buy lootboxes/packs, proper warnings should be placed on games.

Fifa is the worst for it. Their biggest demographic is probably boys aged 5-18 and the main mode in the game is designed around rolling the dice with packs.

• Advertisement

What is the solution ? I saw an article yesterday on the banning of smart phones, I couldn't believe some of the comments from parents agreeing with it.

Where has parental responsibility gone?

Do you think the RNG loot items is a gateway to harder gambling ?

J. Marston wrote: »
    Lootbox systems in games are 100% gambling in my eyes and if there is the option to buy them for real cash or buy the game's specific currency which is then used to buy lootboxes/packs, proper warnings should be placed on games.

Fifa is the worst for it. Their biggest demographic is probably boys aged 5-18 and the main mode in the game is designed around rolling the dice with packs.

In relation to the warnings, I believe one of South Korea / Singapore / Japan / China are enforcing this on any game with a lootbox mechanic in place, and I believe that it's China of all places.

In relation to the warnings, I believe one of South Korea / Singapore / Japan / China are enforcing this on any game with a lootbox mechanic in place, and I believe that it's China of all places.

I Believe in China they have to publish the drop chances . As seen recently with overwatch .

I Believe in China they have to publish the drop chances . As seen recently with overwatch .

Ah yes, that's what I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Ahh the Chinese, a great bunch of lads!

Advertisement