Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Silver Jewellery from Mexico

Options
  • 10-05-2017 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where I can find out taxes on importing silver jewellery and craft (non precious metals) jewellery from mexico. I am also looking to import artisan products but finding it hard to get an idea as to how to do it.
    Any help or experience would be much appreciated
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

This might be a starting point?

You can get tax rates from the TARIC database assuming you can work out what category the goods fall under (it's not obvious but the sections below the form are expandable). Or just download the Excel sheet linked near the bottom of this page and search that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Have you travelled to Mexico?

If you have, ignore the rest, but if you haven't please thread carefully. Mexico has a lot of great artisan and silver products, the town of Taxco being one of the closest to Mexico City and worth a visit. That said, Mexico thrives on the tourist trade so knock offs and cheap is rampant. A lot of the stuff peddled to tourists is actually from China and beyond. Corruption and bribery is fairly common place and consignments have been known to disappear. I've literally been told before that the price is the price because I can afford it being from the US. (I'm not from the US, but that is the assumption if you are a pale caucasian and speak English)

If you are planning on buying in bulk or a large order, I'd suggest you go yourself and examine the goods at the source. Getting to Mexico isn't all that expensive but you could easily order 1000EUR of silver and get some cheap tin. Mexico is all about the connection and the handshake, you do business on a personal basis, not with a corporation. Likewise, forget any concept of timelines or pressure, everything happens when it happens and at a very relaxed pace. I've met some fantastic people there but I can't urge you enough to thread carefully before parting cash.

Advertisement