Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit when paying with direct debit

Options
  • 10-05-2017 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Just wondering is there a security deposit when I set up a new account if I pay by direct debit. Have just moved home and was told I needed a 200e deposit when signing up with Airtricity which I've never had to pay before.
    Was curious is this also the case with Electric Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Raymond,

Thank you for getting in touch.

New customers who register direct debit with Electric Ireland do not have to pay the security deposit.

It is only a requirement to pay the security deposit if the customer does not register direct debit or does not have a Pay As You Go meter installed.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

________

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

I just contacted sales today and was told I have to pay a 300 euro deposit even if I set up direct debit because I'm a new customer so that was a blatant lie anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi again Raymond,

We regret any confusion.

Was the property formally a business? The requirements for security deposits are different for non-residential properties.

If the property is still on a commercial tariff, the conditions for a non-residential property may apply.

Residential customers can pay by direct debit, install a Pay As You Go meter or pay a 300 euro security deposit.

Please send us a private message with the MPRN, your address, your name and contact number.

We woud like to look into this.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

When talking to the Sales team he really pushed the 1 year contract on me and his "supervisor" insisted I paid a deposit unless signing up for the 1 year deal. Pretty ridiculous to be honest sales team did a great job talking me out of a sale I'll stick with airtricity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi again Raymond,

We are sorry to read of your unhappiness with your customer experience over the phone.

If your original query here on Boards.ie related to a commercial account, apologies for not clarifying with you. My response related to residential customers as we look after just residential queries here on Electric Ireland Social Media. We advise those who contact us with business queries to contact the Electric Ireland Business/SME team.

New residential Electric Ireland customers do not have to pay the security deposit if they set up direct debit. It is just one or the other that is required (for 14 months of cleared bills).

Direct debit is required for the switching bonus (which requires a 12-month contract) for new residential customers, however a residential customer can set up direct debit without committing to a contract also (they just cannot avail of the switching bonus) and they do not have to pay the security deposit once they set up their direct debit.

Customer Service set up direct debit for residential customers who do not wish to avail of sales offerings. Or the customer can set up their direct debit with our online form.

Regards,
    Una

________

• Advertisement
Advertisement