Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver deliberately hits cyclist with her car (Video)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I'm annoyed that the van that drive past after just ignored the injured cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Attempted murder? Will she now do 12-20 years in jail ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I'm annoyed that the van that drive past after just ignored the injured cyclist.

yeah, when i saw it reversing before turning i assumed it was to come to the assistance of the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Shannon757 wrote:

Looked to me that the speed he did was to catch up and identify the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 vrt12

Blowfish wrote: »

Clearly an element of provocation in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There was a similar type incident recently where a car swerved to hit a motorcycle in USA. He ended up getting 15 years.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article141962014.html

Hopefully they find this woman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

vrt12 wrote: »
    Clearly an element of provocation in that one.

Yeah by the van driver. Cyclist hitting the van to let it know it's too close is not provocation and I can only assume you're trolling if you think so.

Cienciano wrote: »
    There was a similar type incident recently where a car swerved to hit a motorcycle in USA. He ended up getting 15 years.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article141962014.html

Hopefully they find this woman

They did. She's currently being tried. She claimed her boyfriend took the wheel and did it. Due to be sentenced

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,445 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

20 off-topic posts deleted

EDIT - make that 22

OK 24

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

MOD VOICE: responding to off topic post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Attempted murder? Will she now do 12-20 years in jail ?

Awful!!

That's not what she was charged with - dangerous driving causing serious injury (see the article). 5yr Max sentence and mandatory 2yr driving ban.

The attempt to blame the (thankfully for him) ex-boyfriend for grabbing the wheel and steering the car towards the cyclist is appaling. It brings a whole new meaning to the dog ate my homework... I am not sure we are dealing with psychopath or sociopath!

If she was so concerned or had remorse ...etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Weepsie wrote: »
    They did. She's currently being tried. She claimed her boyfriend took the wheel and did it. Due to be sentenced

Good. Might sound harsh, but anyone capable of outbursts of rage like that against defenceless people should be banned from driving for life.
    American charge was "aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon causing bodily injury", hopefully this is something similar

EDIT: Just read the article, my crappy browser was blocking it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Jesus Christ that footage is horriffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Shannon757 wrote: »

Nobody knows what happened the van driver. They may have went after the vehicle and recorded it on dashcam. People react in different ways. Stay with victim or chase after suspected assailant...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you point a gun at somebody and discharge it, gonna be 10yrs minimum. A 1-2 Tonne car is equally dangerous.

Take the kid, lock her up for a decade and lifetime ban on driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

She's 3 months pregnant - she'll get a suspended sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Weepsie wrote: »

Impressive how at the same time as hauling the steering over this boyfriend also managed to get to the accelerator pedal to speed up into the cyclist :pac:

Until the culture from the top changes so that incidents like this result in a lifetime driving ban and attempted murder charges, this sort of rubbish will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Enraged, he kicked the pregnant woman's car at the next set of traffic lights

Enraged at her response he then kicked her wing mirror at the next set of lights after which she chased him in the Ford Fiesta.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/09/pregnant-hit-and-run-driver-ploughed-cyclist-road-rage-row/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

ED E wrote: »
    If you point a gun at somebody and discharge it, gonna be 10yrs minimum. A 1-2 Tonne car is equally dangerous.

Take the kid, lock her up for a decade and lifetime ban on driving.

If you are ramming someone with a car, you've got to assume that you're going to kill them, or at least you are trying very hard to kill them. I can't understand how the max sentence for this is only 5 years? Why is it that using a car to try your best to kill someone is less of an offence than using any other weapon. Is there a sliding scale of what weapons get the lesser sentences? Even if the victim ends up just as injured/dead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

MOD VOICE: responding to off topic post

You are too fast Beasty, your edits and my posts were simultaneous.
    Duckjob wrote: »
    Impressive how at the same time as hauling the steering over this boyfriend also managed to get to the accelerator pedal to speed up into the cyclist :pac:

Until the culture from the top changes so that incidents like this result in a lifetime driving ban and attempted murder charges, this sort of rubbish will continue.

From the article, the max sentence is 5 years, which I find to be a little lenient in this case to be honest. I really hope her pregnancy/age/sex/good looks don't have any impact on sentencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It probably seemed at the time he was trying to lead her down a side road

He saw the car at a red light further up the road, and in a "moment of madness" kicked the wing mirror, then rode off.

I took a sharp left. I was going 20, maybe slightly more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/09/pregnant-hit-and-run-driver-ploughed-cyclist-road-rage-row/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

gctest50 wrote: »

You appear to be looking for justification for her actions, but the act of using the car as a deadly weapon is inexcusable, no matter what went on before.

gctest50 wrote: »

She provoked first, she reacted badly, she reacted again in a manner that can only be called reprehensible. She deserves to be in prison for more than 5 years.

Have you even seen the video, she should be on trial for attempted murder. no less.

Holy f*ck, the footage in the OP :eek:

I was expecting to see something like a nudge, not a cyclist getting mowed down.

I hope they find this potential killer and make an example of him/her. I know that cyclists and drivers having their differences isn't a new thing, but you can't be having that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

At some stage in this event she must have convinced herself she had entered a video game such as grand theft auto where there are no consequences in the real world ... how do people lose control like this? Amazing and worrying!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I remember getting punched when I was about 10years old. I hate the guy who done it, he was 13. To this day I hate him. His life has went down the toilet, and regrettably, there is a part of me that does not care, although I now rephrase my hate as condescending pity. I almost feel sorry for him after thinking about it as life brought him up that way and then that same life led him down a road that has left him where he is. Then I look at his other family members who are well adjusted and really nice, decent people, and then I think, stupid bloody excuses.

My hatred for him at one point was so intense that very dark thoughts crossed my mind.

To put it in context of this thread, her running him over for the wing mirror, is the equivalent of me putting a gun to that guys back and pulling the trigger. I may have felt like it but in no world is that reaction justified. That's what separates (some of) us from the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,079 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The cyclist swore at her, then he kicked her mirror. He isn't blameless. The driver clearly should not have rammed him and should be punished.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cnocbui wrote: »
    The cyclist swore at her, then he kicked her mirror. He isn't blameless. The driver clearly should not have rammed him and should be punished.

Imagine you gave out to me for something socially unacceptable, lets say screaming profanities at kids as I cycled by you. I then stop and tell you to F Off. In retaliation you kick my tyre. As recourse I put you in intensive care and potentially end your life if no one sees you as I cycle off.

That's where we are here, you are saying that you are not blameless, I would say that you are as there is no normal level of escalation where you deserve to die over a minor bit of property damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I will be watching this with interest, it's bound to make the headlines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement