Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a volunteer firefighter

Options
  • 10-05-2017 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a 23 year old qualified mechanical engineer looking to volunteer with the Fire Service. I currently have a B driving license and living/working in Galway.

Tbh, I'm not sure where to begin asking. Has anyone any tips/advice as to what to do?

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

Daniel S wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a 23 year old qualified mechanical engineer looking to volunteer with the Fire Service. I currently have a B driving license and living/working in Galway.

Tbh, I'm not sure where to begin asking. Has anyone any tips/advice as to what to do?

Thanks,

Dan

There are no volunteer firefighters in Galway or any other brigade in the country AFAIK. You could volunteer with Civil Defence maybe?, although not all areas have an AFS capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

ratracer wrote: »
    There are no volunteer firefighters in Galway or any other brigade in the country AFAIK. You could volunteer with Civil Defence maybe?, although not all areas have an AFS capacity

Thanks for that, would you mind explaining AFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

Daniel S wrote: »
    Thanks for that, would you mind explaining AFS?

Auxiliary Fire Service is one aspect of Cuvil Defence. They do some fire training, I'm not sure to what extent. I think the idea is that they could help out the Fire Service in the event of a large scale emergency, though I don't think it has ever happened in recent years at a fire. They have helped out during flooding incidents however.

Advertisement