Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliexpress Bargains CHAT thread [See MOD note #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I am still waiting for €40+ worth of stuff from AE. It was all posted in March this year. I know it is in a pile of crap in an Anpost warehouse, but they don't give a fuKK.
    I have basically stopped ordering from AE because of this, I know its not their fault and it is 100% Anpost's, but the fact that AE now automatically asumes you have received your items without any recourse open to the buyer is a sickener.

I used to love the site, but I actually think it has become one of the most un-consumer friendly sites about now.

My 2c.

Most of the sellers now accept paypal, if not all of them. Which could make the difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I am still waiting for €40+ worth of stuff from AE. It was all posted in March this year. I know it is in a pile of crap in an Anpost warehouse, but they don't give a fuKK.
    I have basically stopped ordering from AE because of this, I know its not their fault and it is 100% Anpost's, but the fact that AE now automatically asumes you have received your items without any recourse open to the buyer is a sickener.

I used to love the site, but I actually think it has become one of the most un-consumer friendly sites about now.

My 2c.

Hate to say I’m in the same boat, I’ve had tracked shipments arrive in Ireland since late November that haven’t moved an inch.
    The containers are stacked in An Post warehouses and they’ve no intention of touching them, first bit of water near them and they’ll have the excuse they’re looking for to dump them.
    No wonder sellers stopping shipping to Ireland, who could blame them and 100% An Post’s fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭gussieg

so is this just a ploy to get us to go back to buying the same item at inflated prices through the 'local' shops.
    i have a few bits yet to arrive and those that got through, took over 2 months to get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

slave1 wrote: »
    Hate to say I’m in the same boat, I’ve had tracked shipments arrive in Ireland since late November that haven’t moved an inch.
    The containers are stacked in An Post warehouses and they’ve no intention of touching them, first bit of water near them and they’ll have the excuse they’re looking for to dump them.
    No wonder sellers stopping shipping to Ireland, who could blame them and 100% An Post’s fault.

Is this actually true? Or hearsay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115742585#post115742585

I am waiting on about 10 low value Ali items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

When searching ALIEXPRESS is there any way to select only sellers shipping from EU. Apart from click each item and checking manually ?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is this actually true? Or hearsay?

I'm good mates with a depot manager, it's true, the containers arrived and are moved to edge of warehouse with all other post taking priority, last year he told me a number of containers "got wet" and had to be dumped under H&S grounds..

Having said all this I got three AE packages this morning!!!

AE no longer allow me to extend payment protection on any order, looks like Ireland is soon to be blacklisted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Trevord

Ordered about 10 very low value items in October.

All but one has been delivered, but the delivery speed varied from about 3 weeks up to as much as 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Trevord

5500 wrote: »
    I've noticed this with a few sellers of late too, Also some sellers who shipped to Ireland for free and are now charging shipping. I wondered if it was from claims for non delivery over the past year that they are now covering their backs

Another one of note is sellers that will ship from an EU country eg spain/france but charge something silly like €12 but offer free shipping from china

It's not at all unusual for the same product to ship from EU at a higher price. For a start the product would be liable for VAT by the EU MS its sold from. No VAT if the point of sale is in China, but customs could levy it once it arrives here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Only purchase low value items on AE. Only have had two non shows. placed the last ever orders yesterday but have 3 outstanding orders. I think from July 2021 all orders will be subject to VAT and the €22 limit is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Harika

When buying was often using the parcel Motel in the UK. Instead of two months it usually took two weeks. With Brexit that's gone for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

sunny2004 wrote: »
    When searching ALIEXPRESS is there any way to select only sellers shipping from EU. Apart from click each item and checking manually ?

On the PC site (not mobile) When searching for an item, you can filter where to ship from. It's often not accurate though.
    And, only this week I ordered an item to be shipped from Spain, then they e-mailed me saying Ireland was too remote, and were going to send from China instead! So I cancelled the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I'm going to miss shopping on Aliexpress . :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Me too. :(

I'm going to miss shopping on Aliexpress . :(
    They already have EU warehouses. Almost all of them do.
    It costs the seller more fees to use them though, but the Chinese prices of the items they are selling is so low and the massive markup they have, they would be stupid not to take it.
    I ordered a kit on Aliexpress just before Christmas from UK warehouse, it arrived in a day to Parcel Motel. A lot of the Chinese sites are waiting for the Brexit law to be signed in, an then it should be back to normal, or hopefully they will ship to Ireland from mainland Europe and skip UK.
    JD are readying themselves to relaunch globally and take on amazon, so that will be interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tamsta

Generally, if you have to pay for delivery, goods will reach you from the EU (in most cases from the Netherlands or Belgium) and not from China. I've ordered 70 times last year and very few orders (all were below €5) were shipped for free directly from China. Goods that are coming through EU usually arrive within 4 - 6 weeks. So enjoy your shopping with AE, brexit and custom fees later next year will not make big difference :-)

Tamsta wrote: »
    ..So enjoy your shopping with AE, brexit and custom fees later next year will not make big difference :-)

An Post will put their minimum €10 handling fee which will destroy stuff coming from China

A fee of 1% of the value of the packet or parcel, with a minimum charge of €10, is charged by An Post for customs clearance of parcels imported from countries outside the EU. This fee is in addition to any duty or VAT payable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

An Post will put their minimum €10 handling fee which will destroy stuff coming from China

A fee of 1% of the value of the packet or parcel, with a minimum charge of €10, is charged by An Post for customs clearance of parcels imported from countries outside the EU. This fee is in addition to any duty or VAT payable.

they are starting to send stuff via the netherlands so an post wont be getting their €10 on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

I am unsure as to how the new regulation works but i have seen cn22 forms on all my packages as of late. This is supposed to mean that any tax due is collected at POS by the seller. Hopefully that will mitigate the an post charge collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

phester28 wrote: »
    I am unsure as to how the new regulation works but i have seen cn22 forms on all my packages as of late. This is supposed to mean that any tax due is collected at POS by the seller. Hopefully that will mitigate the an post charge collection.

As far as I am aware about 90-95% of merchants in the UK who deliver to Ireland have agreed with An Post to collect the import VAT at POS. This is only for deliveries valued at < €150. In this scenario there will be no extra charge due. For the other 5-10% you will be charged the import VAT & admin fee ( An Post €3.50).
    For goods valued at > €150 the import VAT and duty will be collected in Ireland along with any admin fee. This is all done online now and no longer collected at the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

If it's going to cost more to order from China will it also cost the Pound/Euro shops to import ? Will they be called the €10 shop?

If it's going to cost more to order from China will it also cost the Pound/Euro shops to import ? Will they be called the €10 shop?

wont make any difference to them. They already pay vat and any applicable duty on anything they import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,830 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone know if Aliexpress have a sale due soon
    The only one I know is 11/11

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Aliexpress have a sale due soon
    The only one I know is 11/11
    https://promossale.com/aliexpress-sale-dates-calendar-2021-events/

What will hopefully happen is like what is the case with ordering for sending to Australia from Aliexpress (or any other site like Ebay) - Australian VAT is added at payment time and automatically cleared - no further hassles

Although if that involves anything for Irish revenue with An Post to actually bother their hole to set-up (which I'm sure that it does) then it probably won't happen :mad:

glasso wrote: »
    What will hopefully happen is like what is the case with ordering for sending to Australia from Aliexpress (or any other site like Ebay) - Australian VAT is added at payment time and automatically cleared - no further hassles

Although if that involves anything for Irish revenue with An Post to actually bother their hole to set-up (which I'm sure that it does) then it probably won't happen :mad:

amazon already do this as do others. no effort required on the part of An Post.

amazon already do this as do others. no effort required on the part of An Post.

Amazon were applying Irish VAT for years because a fair amount of goods were coming here from them and they had their processes updated to take account of Brexit

99% of other UK retailers don't have it in place for ordering to Ireland so no guarantee that the Chinese retailers will

also An Post have to do the clearance so they are involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Aliexpress seem to be sending stuff to europe and then onward to ireland so they may have already found a solution to this

• Advertisement

Bazzy wrote: »
    Aliexpress seem to be sending stuff to europe and then onward to ireland so they may have already found a solution to this

Is that not dependent on the postage option?

There are quite a few different postage methods you can decide to use.

Advertisement