Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliexpress Bargains CHAT thread [See MOD note #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

glasso wrote: »
    Is that not dependent on the postage option?

There are quite a few different postage methods you can decide to use.

There is too much money involved for aliexpress not to sort this out.

There is too much money involved for aliexpress not to sort this out.

I imagine that Ireland is fairly insignificant in the scheme of things for them but they have done it for Australia etc

I imagine that Ireland is fairly insignificant in the scheme of things for them but they have done it for Australia etc

it is not just ireland. the whole of the EU.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bazzy wrote: »
    Aliexpress seem to be sending stuff to europe and then onward to ireland so they may have already found a solution to this

I haven't stopped buying from Ali Express since January.
    Everything has got through ok.

I actually bought 2 shelves for my Car Cleaning that were €25 each. I done separate transactions just in case but the seller still shipped them together. Got them within 10 days.

it is not just ireland. the whole of the EU.

yes but Aliexpress will obviously be most focused on the biggest markets in the EU firstly

Ireland is not one of those markets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭banie01

AliExpress have opened a large distribution centre in Liege at the airport there.
    The Chinese forwarding companies have also opened multiple rail forwarding centres via the China - EU rail link.
    There is also a shift towards using Turkey as a logistics hub taking advantage of the Turkey-Eu customs union.

There are myriad shipping options available to all the Chinese resellers that will mitigate and eliminate the issue of direct from China delivery.

The Chinese aren't brexit Britain, none of the EU moves to manage inbound trade are a surprise and all have been well planned for.

Gumbo wrote: »
    I haven't stopped buying from Ali Express since January.
    Everything has got through ok.

I actually bought 2 shelves for my Car Cleaning that were €25 each. I done separate transactions just in case but the seller still shipped them together. Got them within 10 days.

nothing has changed as of yet so that's as expected

Ireland may be a small market, but once AliExpress have an EU or a Customs union entry point there will be no additional charges on the Irish side.

The Chinese aren't segmenting the EU into mini-markets, they are looking at 600million customers and EU distribution channels.
    That solves the issue of customs at source.

banie01 wrote: »
    Ireland may be a small market, but once AliExpress have an EU or a Customs union entry point there will be no additional charges on the Irish side.

The Chinese aren't segmenting the EU into mini-markets, they are looking at 600million customers and EU distribution channels.
    That solves the issue of customs at source.

they would have to deal with the VAT payments to each individual country

maybe they will deal with it in one go but it's not known at this point

a lot of the items come through An Post also before another EU country necessarily so An Post would need a way of identifying items that VAT has already been paid on and to pass them through

yes but Aliexpress will obviously be most focused on the biggest markets in the EU firstly

Ireland is not one of those markets

The Eu is one market as far as Aliexpress are concerned. they ship to one location in the EU and the customs process is done there. after that the shipments are intra-eu so customs is not a concern.

• Advertisement

The Eu is one market as far as Aliexpress are concerned. they ship to one location in the EU and the customs process is done there. after that the shipments are intra-eu so customs is not a concern.

That's actually completely wrong

Aliexpress is a sales platform

The sellers ship the items, not Aliexpress

there are at least 15 different postage options if not more

unless an items is redirected inside the EU like Post NL service the item will be cleared at the destination country.

that's why An Post can and do stop items coming from China if they think that VAT and duty is due

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AliExpress
    AliExpress is different from Amazon because it acts only as an e-commerce platform and does not sell products directly to consumers.[

That's actually completely wrong

Aliexpress is a sales platform

The sellers ship the items, not Aliexpress

there are at least 15 different postage options if not more

unless an items is redirected inside the EU like Post NL service the item will be cleared at the destination country.

that's why An Post can and do stop items coming from China if they think that VAT and duty is due

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AliExpress

I'm aware of how Aliexpress works. I dont need a link to a wiki page about them. talk about condescending.

I'm aware of how Aliexpress works. I dont need a link to a wiki page about them. talk about condescending.

Why did you say that Aliexpress ship items then if you know how it works when it's a sales platform? :confused:

and also claim that items go to one location in the EU which is also totally off the mark?

you can't just go about categorically claiming things that are completely wrong and expect not to be called out on it

Why did you say that Aliexpress ship items then if you know how it works? :confused:

and also claim that items go to one location in the EU which is also totally off the mark?

i am talking about the future. I am well ****ing aware of how Aliexpress works now. This change has been coming for a while. preparations have already been made. this is the system that the EU have setup to facilitate imports from outside the EU. https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/77255bf8-65cd-11eb-aeb5-01aa75ed71a1/language-en

sorry but where have Aliexpress said that will be changing their business model from a sales platform to a fulfilment platform?

how do you have inside knowledge of what they are doing?

you said
    The Eu is one market as far as Aliexpress are concerned. they ship to one location in the EU

as in as if it's already happening, not in the future

sorry but where have Aliexpress said that will be changing their business model from a sales platform to a fulfilment platform?

how do you have inside knowledge of what they are doing?

you said

as in as if it's already happening, not in the future

it is obvious to all but the braindead what they will do. the EU have already created a system they can integrate with. Aliexpress already do something similar for australia, new zealand and other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So about those bargains?

it is obvious to all but the braindead what they will do. the EU have already created a system they can integrate with. Aliexpress already do something similar for australia, new zealand and other countries.

The sellers will ship to the EU (not Aliexpress as yet again it's a sales platform, Aliexpress don't ship anything)

Items arrive at different points in the EU through different logistics providers/ carriers, not at one point

Aliexpress will integrate their sales platform with the EU system and collect VAT at point of sale, that's about the only correct point you mentioned - that there is an EU system to manage VAT collection

The sellers will ship to the EU (not Aliexpress as yet again it's a sales platform, Aliexpress don't ship anything)

Items arrive at different points in the EU through different logistics providers/ carriers, not at one point

Aliexpress will integrate their sales platform with the EU system and collect VAT at point of sale, that's about the only correct point you mentioned - that there is an EU system to manage VAT collection

from the short link you clearly didnt bother to read.
    If the sale of goods to buyers in the EU is facilitated through an electronic interface, the electronic interface is considered to have made the sale and is in principle liable for the payment of VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Caranica wrote: »
    So about those bargains?

Are they in the bargain thread? As this is the chat thread ..

• Advertisement

from the short link you clearly didnt bother to read.

I did read that link information

It doesn't in any way go to prove any of the incorrect statements that you've made

obviously items arrive at different airports and ports in the EU as one place couldn't handle the lot and different logistics firms have different routes and the sellers do the shipping as Aliexpress in only an e-commerce sales platform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

GBX wrote: »
    Are they in the bargain thread? As this is the chat thread ..

It's the bargains chat thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mrtom

Caranica wrote: »
    It's the bargains chat thread?

Go and reflex:

https://promossale.com/aliexpress-sale-dates-calendar-2021-events/

Alibaba and their integrated units AliExpress and Cianiao are already handling end to end logistics for a large portion of sellers on their platform.
    They are very much moving towards a "fulfilled by" model that their European centres will give a huge advantage to Vis a vis seller's shipping direct from China.

https://www.retaildetail.eu/en/news/general/alibaba-opens-belgian-warehouse-liege

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

The bargain thread seems to have disappeared remember looking at it maybe 12 months ago iirc

The bargain thread seems to have disappeared remember looking at it maybe 12 months ago iirc

to be honest there are literally millions of items on aliexpress so a bargain alert thread is a bit pointless.

the things normally sell at the same price all year except for the 11/11 sale where it's more about coupons offering money off than item discounts

if you want to save money you have to browse through the different sellers offering the same item and find the best price + shipping combo

if you see any non-branded item listed on amazon you can most likely find it on Aliexpress if you look for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The 'real' prices are usually not shown unless you have coupons or codes which is where the BA thread can come in handy.
    Otherwise almost 99% of the time the price is the same as you will find on amazon or elsewhere minus the EU warranty and customer care.
    Also some seller won't ship to Ireland even if shipping from Europe so it helps cut through a lot of time wasting.

Speaking of AliExpress bargains.
    I'm using an app called Alihelper that really does a great job of taking a product for sale on Ali, aggregation of other suppliers, prices and reviews to find the same products from the best rated and priced sellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,330 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is Alibaba a genuine site, or just a scammer site ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

Anyone here buy any old server hardware?
    Some of the Xeon CPU motherboard sets seem ok.
    I'm not exactly sure if they're worth buying.

Advertisement