Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advise a noob on my gym routine

• 10-05-2017 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I recently moved job and my new place has a free gym which is always pretty quiet. Few weights machines, few treadmills, free weights etc. I went down for the induction and was shown how to use the machines.

The guy also gave us some tips of attempting to hit picking a pre-failure rep on your 7th or 8th rep - I think I got an idea of what he meant but can somebody explain this? There was a group of us and he didn't

Here is what I done on my first day:

13 mins on treadmill - walking for two minutes then gradually getting more difficult (speed and incline) for the following 10 mins, then slow jog for final minute

Set 1:
    Leg press - (will probably start off on 50kg the next day)
    15 x 35kg
    15 x 40kg
    15 x 45kg

Chest press -
    15 x 20kg
    12 x 25kg
    9 x 25kg

Set 2
    Mid row -
    14 x 35kg
    12 x 35kg
    10 x 35kg

Leg extension
    12 x 40kg
    15 x 40kg (this makes me think I could have done more on the first set)
    13 x 40kg

Set 3
    Lat pull down
    8 x 30kg

Squats (holding 2x10kg free weights)
    10 x 20kg

I had to go (time reasons, I didnt chicken out!) after just one round of the last set but I reckon i would have gone down to 25kg on the pull down but stuck at the 20kg for the squats.

Some muscles were sore the day after but not too bad either - maybe I could be pushing myself a bit harder? Also, is this a good all round workout or should I be working in other areas/exercises etc?

Its my first time in a gym and I enjoyed it. I might turn this into a training log and track my progress

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

What exactly do you want to achieve? That isn't me being a smart arse, it's just a case of tailoring a program to your goals. For instance if you're looking to build muscle and strength or lose fat or increase cardio, is it sports specific etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I guess my picking a failure weight, he meant that you should picked a weight that you think you'll just about make the 8th rep with on the 3rd set. It's fine if you only get 7. But if you are hitting the 8th without a huge struggle then you should up the weight est time

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Adventure1

What exactly do you want to achieve? That isn't me being a smart arse, it's just a case of tailoring a program to your goals. For instance if you're looking to build muscle and strength or lose fat or increase cardio, is it sports specific etc.

No thats a fair question alright.

I want to lose some weight and generally get fitter. I am currently a 34in waist and want to get down to at least a 32, maybe 30. I wouldnt mind putting on some muscle also but its mostly just to get in shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Well losing your weight will involve diet, and make no mistake, diet will be the determining factor by far in whether you'll lose weight. How is your nutrition in general?

As far as doing weights or resistance exercises goes, the key is 1) a structured plan and 2) progression and by progression I mean adding weight/reps gradually to keep pushing yourself and to see any improvement.

Walking into the gym and doing whatever for how ever many reps you feel like is just putting you onto a hiding for nothing to be honest. What sort of free weights are at the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Adventure1

Hi, apologies for the delay in geting back to you.

OVer the last while my nutrition has gotten pretty good, I rarely eat processed food or bread. I started to track my intake a bit and figured my portion sizes were a little generous so Ive been getting that under control.

I didnt really go in and try "whatever" - I tried to do some research and came up with the plan above before I went to the gym. Thats why I was looking for feedback on it here.

There are dumbells and barbells there in the gym.

• Advertisement
Advertisement