Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is Behey?

Options
  • 10-05-2017 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I'm doing some genealogical research, and would like to locate Behey (Cavan) and travel to the area to have a drive around there.
    I know that it's a townland within the parish of Lavey. My problem is that I can't locate it on a map that gives me other landmarks (I'm useless with solely latitude/longitude), so I wonder if anyone could give me some landmarks off the N3?
    I know St Dympna's Church on the N3, and also Stradone - so maybe someone could use those as pointers to me?

Also - is "Beaghy" the same as Behey or is that a different place? I know the Lavey Inn, and I think that Lough Beaghey is the lake on the same side of the inn, although I'm open to correction. If someone tells me that the area around that lake is actually Behey, then I'm golden.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The great google says Behey is here, so if heading north on the N3, pass the Lavey Inn on the right continue on past the lake on your left, then take the first left (L6504) and then the area around the 2nd left turn after that is Behey.
    However, Google is very often way out so maybe I'll shut up & let a local jump in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭J-C

Also - is "Beaghy" the same as Behey or is that a different place? I know the Lavey Inn, and I think that Lough Beaghey is the lake on the same side of the inn, although I'm open to correction. If someone tells me that the area around that lake is actually Behey, then I'm golden.

Yes BottleOfSmoke, the area around Lough Beaghey is indeed the townland of Behey, although the lake is on the opposite side of the road to the Lavey Inn. It's about a half a mile further up the road on the RHS heading away from Cavan (towards Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

Thanks, J-C and Gaspode, that's a massive help.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Behey Hut was/is in Drumalee. Used to go to guitar lessons there with David Molloy back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Gaspode wrote: »
    However, Google is very often way out so maybe I'll shut up & let a local jump in here!

lol - even a local who happens to peruse these forums might have passed through without ever knowing the name.!

I'm with you on Google though. One place that is not way out, but often overlooked, is OSI: http://bit.ly/2rTlXTW

It's worth noting, many name references are not always the same. Both Google and OSI list my own home townland with a different spelling than what i grew up knowing. I can only presume others are the same.

ninja edit: because i didn't state the best reason OSI is such a great resource, apart from being the most accurate, there are historical maps too, which might help with the names..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

lol - even a local who happens to peruse these forums might have passed through without ever knowing the name.!

I'm with you on Google though. One place that is not way out, but often overlooked, is OSI: http://bit.ly/2rTlXTW

It's worth noting, many name references are not always the same. Both Google and OSI list my own home townland with a different spelling than what i grew up knowing. I can only presume others are the same.

ninja edit: because i didn't state the best reason OSI is such a great resource, apart from being the most accurate, there are historical maps too, which might help with the names..

Thanks for the link, that is very useful. I'm a Dub so this townlands thing is, literally, new territory for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

When you know the Parish, it's a great help. Otherwise it would be problematic. There is a Behy /Behey just outside Arva as well.

Advertisement