Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsonic .22wmr

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

wow - very handy if they actually hold any sort of a group!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 zoiborg

extremetaz wrote: »
    wow - very handy if they actually hold any sort of a group!

Ye id deffinatly like to try them, hopfully someone knows of there whereabouts, but i doubht there available in ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Was that a ricochet when he fired the sub WMR ...... and did my poor hearing hear him say 'that was a 22 long rifle sub sonic' (or words to that effect)......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Was that a ricochet when he fired the sub WMR ...... and did my poor hearing hear him say 'that was a 22 long rifle sub sonic' (or words to that effect)......

yes you can shoot .22lr out of a .22wmr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

juice1304 wrote: »

If you were to do that would the bullet not locate properly in the barrel when leaving the cartridge case as it is a few millimeters shorter than a magnum cartridge case?

Wouldn't the danger be of the bullet not being centralised as it travels up the barrel so being inaccurate?

I am asking here as I have never heard this about .22lr in a wmr before.

Also if it were correct then why make a sub wmr when you could just put a sub .22lr in the gun?

juice1304 wrote: »

I'll have to contradict you here. Shooting a 22LR out of a 22WMR is not safe, meaning not recommended but actually unsafe.
    The case length is not an issue as a 22LR chamber will safely shoot BB's and Shorts. The issue is that the 22LR has a narrower case then the WMR and will not produce a proper seal in the chamber which can lead to failure of the casing which is in fact an explosion rather then the controlled burn of the propellant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Obviously I'm not into the marketing world, which seems to be run by a geezer called Kafka.

1. You make a higher-powered version of the .22 long rifle cartridge.

2. You call it the Winchester Rimfire Magnum because it's not only faster, but it therefore has more kinetic energy, goes further AND faster, and has still got plenty more oomph when it arrives, about 50 yards at least further downrange than the .22LR.

3. THEN, you make a sub-sonic version that is not only slower, but will invariably cost more, not only than regular .22WMR, but both regular AND sub-sonic .22LR.

Way ta go, Winchester!!

However, if THAT doesn't grab your attention, I have this very fine bridge, currently located in the heart of a great East Coast city, that I have been instructed to sell on behalf of a client...........

tac

I'll have to contradict you here. Shooting a 22LR out of a 22WRM is not safe, meaning not recommended but actually unsafe.
    The case length is not an issue as a 22LR chamber will safely shoot BB's and Shorts. The issue is that the 22LR has a narrower case then the WMR and will not produce a proper seal in the chamber which can lead to failure of the casing which is in fact an explosion rather then the controlled burn of the propellant.

Fact. Both of my Ruger Single Six revolvers have two cylinders - one for .22LR and the other for .22WMR.

Case #1 - .22LR - case diameter = .226"

Case #2 - .22WMR - case diameter = .242"

SAAMI

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Fact. Both of my Ruger Single Six revolvers have two cylinders - one for .22LR and the other for .22WMR.

Case #1 - .22LR - case diameter = .226"

Case #2 - .22WMR - case diameter = .242"

SAAMI

tac

I assume that is to stop some numpty trying a wmr in a .22lr gun Tac?

Also the .22wmr is quite underated in it's power, so at least 50yards further is an under estimate.

• Advertisement

............'Ruger Single Six revolvers have two cylinders - one for .22LR and the other for .22WMR'.............droooooling just thinking of them:P

123shooter wrote: »
    I assume that is to stop some numpty trying a wmr in a .22lr gun Tac?

It's more the other way around the LR will be too lose in the WMR chamber for safety issues.

It's more the other way around the LR will be too lose in the WMR chamber for safety issues.

But at those diameters a .22lr will fit in a .22wmr where a .22wmr will not physically fit a .22lr?

I was referring to pressures because the pressures would be so much greater from a .22wmr cartridge.

Sorry just coped what you where saying, but AFAIK , I've read it before somewhere, the parent case to the WMR is not a .22LR that we know but another 22 calibre round and comparing the 22LR and 22WMR is like comparing apples and oranges. They share the same calibre and that's it.
    I don't think there was the same thinking as seen with the slightly longer .270 case compared to the slightly shorter 30-06 case, the .270 was ever so slightly lenghtend to prevent accidental chambering in a 30-06 rifle.

There's quite a few .22 calibre rimfire variants that did not survive the test of time as did the old reliable .22LR

Sorry just coped what you where saying, but AFAIK , I've read it before somewhere, the parent case to the WMR is not a .22LR that we know but another 22 calibre round and comparing the 22LR and 22WMR is like comparing apples and oranges. The share the same calibre and that's it.
    I don't think there was the same thinking as seen with the slightly longer .270 case compared to the slightly shorter 30-06 case, the .270 was ever so slightly lenghtend to prevent accidental chambering in a 30-06 rifle.

There's quite a few .22 calibre rimfire variants that did survive the test of time as did the old reliable .22LR

Sound. ..So are we in agreement that you cannot safely fire a .22lr or .22sub in a .22wmr gun?

Absolutely in agreement with you .........

.....the issue is in the larger chamber diameter of the WMR and not its length, just reiterating that in case someone tries to wrongly rationalize -if you can use shorter ammo in .22LR so than the same can be said about a 22LR in a magnum 22.

We've had a case here were a RFD threw in a free box of ammo (22LR) to an unsuspecting 'newbie' to get him started with his new 22WMR. Poor chap couldn't understand why his cases where splitting on him!!!!!:eek:

As you note the .22WMR is based on a different case, that of the old Winchester pump action Model 1890 rifle that used the .22WRF - Winchester Rimfire.

Again, as you note, there were many .22cal cartridges that have fallen by the wayside over the years - I could list them all for you, but I'm afraid it would bore most folks f*rtless.

tac

123shooter wrote: »
    Sound. ..So are we in agreement that you cannot safely fire a .22lr or .22sub in a .22wmr gun?

If you COULD, then manufacturers would not make TWO different cylinders to accommodate the two different cartridges.

Please, DON'T shoot .22LR in a .22WMR gun.

The .22LR subsonic is STILL a .22LR cartridge, downloaded to make it subsonic.

As I pointed out above, the CHAMBERS of the two cartridges are of DIFFERENT dimensions - the .22LR is SMALLER in diameter than that of the .22WMR. That difference WILL split the .22LR case, allowing gas to leak around the case. That gas is at about 800C, and at a pressure of around 9 tons per square inch - right about where your face is located.

s'up to you.

tac

We should start a mega thread on - calibres, with history,advancements then onto tech specs , range of bullets - weights, construction etc, manufacturers, various firearms using them so on and so forth.

All information should be referenced for further reading and validation. Common and popular calibres would probably get done first then old, odd ball and even obsolete could follow. Could be a big source of information for all.

Please feel free to right ahead. :)

You know far more than I do about what interests Irish shooters.

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement