Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay more off mortgage or personal loan first

• 10-05-2017 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a small mortgage at a variable rate of 3.5% variable and a personal loan with approx 8k left at 7.9% variable. I can afford to pay more of either at the moment but i am not sure which to pay towards first. The interest on the mortgage over the next 30 years is kind of crazy but then maybe it's best to clear the loan first and then start paying more off mortgage.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Clear the most expensive form of credit first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Clear the most expensive form of credit first.

The more expensive form is a bit relative though. The CC is at a higher rate so is more expensive but the mortgage, while at a lower rate, will be charged for longer on a larger amount, so will cost more over the term. Your advice is too vague to help the OP.

OP, I would pay it off the CC. Realistically, you're not gonna make a huge dent in the mortgage interest, at least not relative to the dent you'd make in the CC. Others may disagree; take their points into consideration if they do; I'm not an expert, this is just what I would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thank you both. i guess it makes more sense to pay off the shortest term debit and highest rate first.

Advertisement