Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda investigated after CCTV showing arrest of naked, distressed woman goes viral.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

rawn wrote: »
    But we already know she was mentally ill, why the need to poke around her Facebook page to see HOW mentally ill she was? The issue is the Garda, of course mental health in general is a large part of this topic but there is absolutely no need to be looking at her Facebook page. It's hugely disrespectful and frankly hypocritical to snoop through her page while at the same time talking about the lack of privacy she had with the video being shared!

I dont think its in anyway hypocritical, but I suppose hypocrisy is like racism you can find it in the most innocent places if you look hard enough and have enough dedication. Why is it not hypocritical to read her online blogs but it is to look at her facebook page? That really doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

For anyone that seen the video, was Dara assaulted, were they needlessly rough with her. in any way.... as seems from some accounts online they were.

Kinda reminds of how they reacted to this guy out in Blackrock who was also naked... you'd swear he was swinging a machete they way they tackled him.

For anyone that seen the video, was Dara assaulted, were they needlessly rough with her. in any way.... as seems from some accounts online they were.

Kinda reminds of how they reacted to this guy... you'd swear he was swinging a machete they way they were tackling him.

I have to be fair to the arresting gardai, they did seem gentle until she started getting aggressive and violent. The garda couldn't just leave her and let her walk through the streets naked, once she started kicking off, they met necessary measures I thought.

Plus she was naked walking on a fairly isolated street but was heading towards the main thoroughfare, if she had of reached o'connell street or any mainstreet in Dublin, imagine how many Facebook videos there would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

tomofson wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with you there, I really dont see how me saying "I hope mental illness never knocks on your door" could be offensive to anybody.

When a trolls' posts are deleted, responses are usually deleted too. Waste of time responding to (or acknowledging) them anyway, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

tomofson wrote:
    I dont think its in anyway hypocritical, but I suppose hypocrisy is like racism you an find it in the most innocent places if you look hard enough and have enough dedication. Why is it not hypocritical to read her online blogs but it is to look at her facebook page? That really doesn't make sense to me.

I said nothing about her blogs. But going to her Facebook page and reading comments she wrote while having a psychotic break and then sharing details about what she said to a wider audience is totally different. It adds nothing to the discussion about the incident with the Garda but further invades her privacy.

I said nothing about her blogs. But going to her Facebook page and reading comments she wrote while having a psychotic break and then sharing details about what she said to a wider audience is totally different. It adds nothing to the discussion about the incident with the Garda but further invades her privacy.

But it does show facebook can detect possible mental illnesses/breakdowns, did you read my first comment, I mentioned I seen something similar happen before.... That was actually my only point that Facebook can recognize mental health issues. The fact you said nothing about her blogs is the point why dont you find people reading them as offensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ED E wrote: »
    Just to add to the dismay, the woman heading up the new "Garda Review Body" was the one that appointed O'Sullivan. Like COME ON.

Appointed on a part time basis too. She's not leaving her current position to do it

Talk about being sold a pup. Don't see how it's gonna be the 'mother of all reviews' when a person from a city with huge policing issues is appointed to oversee it from abroad while dealing with her own local full-time stuff.

But hey, she has a good Irish name and a long record with making issues go away.

There are so many European policing experts. And our government went with an American who has no intention of giving it her full attention and has stark questions overshadowing the way she does her current job. They obviously don't want ant real change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

We have the gardai doing things like this, in addition to all the other recent scandals like faking breathalyser tests. a health minister denying medicine to a sick child, our social protection minister casting shame and suspicion on the unemployed and encouraging vigilantism against the poor while we operate as a tax haven for corporations and let the bankers who destroyed us walk free.

At all levels of authority, we continually allow unbelievably sick individuals to hold positions of power. We let them abuse the most vulnerable in our society, and unlike the abuse from the Catholic Church, these groups are doing it all out in the open. Since the recession I have just become so disgusted with our country, the way so many people have been just ground down into the dirt, treated like less than human beings.

It's no wonder we have so many people struggling with mental health issues and drug and alcohol abuse and that those who do often end up taking their lives. I hope that poor woman is finally at peace and in a better place. And I hope that cop never gets another night's sleep after what he did. Because God knows GSOC will do eff all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

We have the gardai doing things like this, in addition to all the other recent scandals like faking breathalyser tests. a health minister denying medicine to a sick child, our social protection minister casting shame and suspicion on the unemployed and encouraging vigilantism against the poor while we operate as a tax haven for corporations and let the bankers who destroyed us walk free.

At all levels of authority, we continually allow unbelievably sick individuals to hold positions of power. We let them abuse the most vulnerable in our society, and unlike the abuse from the Catholic Church, these groups are doing it all out in the open. Since the recession I have just become so disgusted with our country, the way so many people have been just ground down into the dirt, treated like less than human beings.

It's no wonder we have so many people struggling with mental health issues and drug and alcohol abuse and that those who do often end up taking their lives. I hope that poor woman is finally at peace and in a better place. And I hope that cop never gets another night's sleep after what he did. Because God knows GSOC will do eff all.

They planted a "tree of hope" in the gardens of Leinster House today, to support mental health awareness and suicide prevention. They might have a devil-may-care attitude towards funding our crumbling mental health services, but just look at that tree of hope...

https://twitter.com/OireachtasNews/status/862263022722699264

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

Did she really stab someone? Normally violent mentally ill drug addicts don't get so much sympathy on boards. Is it because of her gender or her politics?

Why is the video of that naked man get tackled by the guards allowed online? More hypocrisy to be honest.

Two things puzzle me about this.

1) How a grown adult can complete basic training in Templemore without knowing how utterly despicable his actions are in this case and still qualify as a member of the Gardai

2) How the presence of such an individual has escaped the attention of his superiors. I mean if the guy has such a casual attitude towards those he's paid to protect it's disappointing how long he's been getting away with it.

Did she really stab someone? Normally violent mentally ill drug addicts don't get so much sympathy on boards. Is it because of her gender or her politics?

Why is the video of that naked man get tackled by the guards allowed online? More hypocrisy to be honest.

Couldn't help but to think that myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭biscuithead

I know, Jesus. "Ah it's ok a member of our police force only shared the arrest of a naked vulnerable woman later found dead with his mates".

I never had much time for the Garda anyway but it's just one thing after another at the moment. I would be very, very surprised to see any real disciplinary action taken over this. This country really is going to the dogs.

Back up an minute there. The guard who recorded the incident and posted it to the WhatsApp group was not to know at the time any of the circumstances. For all he knew he could have been witnessing a girl who was off her head coming from a sex party or such. He might have thought "this is a party girl who is wasted. She'll get brought in, sobered up. She'll be mortified and someone will come to collect her."

If you saw a woman riding naked on horseback through the town you would most likely take out your phone and take a pic or a recording and send it to friends. You might think "Wow, Lady Godiva".

A month later the same woman might commit suicide and it might be revealed that she suffered from depression and substance abuse.

It would be very easy to castigate you for taking a pic but really had you done anything evil and malicious at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I haven't seen the video and never knew about it, or her, until I saw this thread.

Was she identified/identifiable in it or from it? If so, it going viral might have had a real impact on her already fragile state. Even then, if only she knew about it/that it was her, it could still have had a big impact.

And even if none of that is true, still, WTF is a Guard doing recording stuff like this privately and sharing it with friends for a laugh?

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Back up an minute there. The guard who recorded the incident and posted it to the WhatsApp group was not to know at the time any of the circumstances. For all he knew he could have been witnessing a girl who was off her head coming from a sex party or such. He might have thought "this is a party girl who is wasted. She'll get brought in, sobered up. She'll be mortified and someone will come to collect her."

He's a Garda. He should be treating the wasted party girl, or the person having a mental health break with the same dignity as he treats me when he's checking my tax disc. It's about professionalism - it was a work situation. If you came into my workplace and seemed unwell or acting erratically it reflects very badly on my employer that I would record you to share it with my buddies instead of treating you with dignity and respect.

A similar situation might be a doctor-patient situation. If a patient is running down the corridor naked is it ok for a healthcare professional to record them in their distress and share it? We would be baying for their P45.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote:
    A similar situation might be a doctor-patient situation. If a patient is running down the corridor naked is it ok for a healthcare professional to record them in their distress and share it? We would be baying for their P45.

As was pointed out a few posts back, the Garda didn't record the actual event, he was reviewing the CCTV footage which he then recorded on his phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

As was pointed out a few posts back, the Garda didn't record the actual event, he was reviewing the CCTV footage which he then recorded on his phone.
    I don't see how that makes what he did less serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

But we already know she was mentally ill, why the need to poke around her Facebook page to see HOW mentally ill she was? The issue is the Garda, of course mental health in general is a large part of this topic but there is absolutely no need to be looking at her Facebook page. It's hugely disrespectful and frankly hypocritical to snoop through her page while at the same time talking about the lack of privacy she had with the video being shared!

I can't really see how looking at her Facebook page is hurting or offending anyone at all wether she's dead or alive.
    In what way do you think it's hurting offending or disrespecting this woman in any way?

You can set your page to be private if you want, if not then anything you put up there is for public consumption and that's it.
    It's not as if anyone broke into her house and rooted through her drawers.
    Completely hysterical over reacting to absolutely nothing.
    It's becoming a mystery to me how some people actually manage to leave the house considering the increasingly high risk of being offended by something.

A Garda recording on his phone instead of helping her is a huge difference. It is still despicable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Northerngal

deja vu

'No investigation yet' into how CCTV footage of Gareth Hutch murder was made public.

Almost a year ago, but it's ok he was a "criminal" "a Garda informer" (sarcasm)

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    I haven't seen the video and never knew about it, or her, until I saw this thread.

Was she identified/identifiable in it or from it? If so, it going viral might have had a real impact on her already fragile state. Even then, if only she knew about it/that it was her, it could still have had a big impact.

And even if none of that is true, still, WTF is a Guard doing recording stuff like this privately and sharing it with friends for a laugh?

I find this so disheartening. It's so hard to get into the Gardai and complete the training yet here's this cretin getting out his mobile to film someone else's misery for ****s and giggles with his pals later.
    If it's found that this is what happened then I think he should be named and shamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

tomofson wrote: »
    I would say her mental state is very relevant to the thread.

I would say her mental state has absolutely nothing to do with you, or anyone else on social media.

infogiver wrote:
    I can't really see how looking at her Facebook page is hurting or offending anyone at all wether she's dead or alive. In what way do you think it's hurting offending or disrespecting this woman in any way?

Because she has a family. There was extremely sensitive stuff on her page, a lot of it was untrue allegations against a family member, the type of thing that people read and think "no smoke without fire", but were in fact the ramblings of a seriously mentally ill woman. Due to her name being released we now have rubberneckers reading through these comments and spreading it around.

It's very easy to say "the page can be set to private" but it's a little late for that seeing as the poor girl is dead isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

She was a friend of a friend. I'd met her a couple of times and had heard she died recently, but this thread is the first I'd heard of this incident. People poking around on her facebook page to get a "picture of her mental health" doesn't sit right with me and I barely knew her, how do you think her family would feel about that?

If you saw a woman riding naked on horseback through the town you would most likely take out your phone and take a pic or a recording and send it to friends. You might think "Wow, Lady Godiva".

A month later the same woman might commit suicide and it might be revealed that she suffered from depression and substance abuse.

It would be very easy to castigate you for taking a pic but really had you done anything evil and malicious at the time?

An on duty public servant dispatched to help a citizen in danger and distress decides that it's appropriate to film that citizen for the purposes of sharing the distress for the comedic entertainment of his friends at a later date.
    You think that's appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Ah yeah sure, they were probably thinking that- girl not in her right mind cause she's on whatever substance and isn't aware of what she's doing, gonna be mortified when her parents show up so im gonna compound that humiliation by sending round a video of her. That's great sure, lovely guy. She could have been coming from a sex party like. Who could blame him.
    Weird logic.

Also if she was detained under mental health act then they obviously deemed her as vulnerable and not of sound mind, and not just some woman high on a substance coming home from...a sex party (again wtf?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Bit of a semantic argument there. Even if that garda was at the scene, filming it on an official garda camera, while following procedures, it still wouldn't be acceptable to then share that footage on WhatsApp.

The issue is the sharing of evidence on social media, which likely breached the Data Protection Act. It was an abhorrent thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

there was a case recently where a chap was arrested at the scene of a crash, they found video evidence of rape on his phone from the previous night and he was charged with same....I made a comment to friends that I wondered at what point did the gardai shout rape..what I meant was it's now the norm to expect gardai to find dirty vids on phones and show them to their colleagues, and I wondered were the gardai all standing there thinking they were watching a home movie at first....

sounds horrible but it's probably true

Bit of a semantic argument there. Even if that garda was at the scene, filming it on an official garda camera, while following procedures, it still wouldn't be acceptable to then share that footage on WhatsApp.

I completely agree that it's abhorrent that he shared it. I also hope the person who uploaded it to Facebook from whatsapp is punished, but I'm not sure there's a law against that.

infogiver wrote: »
    An on duty public servant dispatched to help a citizen in danger and distress decides that it's appropriate to film that citizen for the purposes of sharing the distress for the comedic entertainment of his friends at a later date.
    You think that's appropriate.
    That's not exactly what happened.
    A guard was reviewing CCTV footage of her and he recorded that on his phone. He wasn't one of the guards dispatched to help her.

• Advertisement

She was a friend of a friend. I'd met her a couple of times and had heard she died recently, but this thread is the first I'd heard of this incident. People poking around on her facebook page to get a "picture of her mental health" doesn't sit right with me and I barely knew her, how do you think her family would feel about that?

Facebook is what it is. We can't put that genie back in the bottle.
    I'd imagine that considering the circumstances of her death and the horrendous difficulties that she appears to have had in the period preceding it that her Facebook is pretty low down on the grief scale for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I completely agree that it's abhorrent that he shared it. I also hope the person who uploaded it to Facebook from whatsapp is punished, but I'm not sure there's a law against that.

It must be a breach of some sort of ethics that the Gardai are expected to uphold.
    Terrible thing to do, upload a video like that. To what purpose - for a 'laugh'?

This whole thing must be torture for her family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Facebook and whatsapp are the one thing

What was the gaurds putting it on the internet to show his friends for anyway?

That's not exactly what happened.
    A guard was reviewing CCTV footage of her and he recorded that on his phone. He wasn't one of the guards dispatched to help her.

He was on duty.
    I work in a public service office with CCTV too.
    The very idea that I would think that I could record footage of a distressed customer for the entertainment of my friends later, or that I would even think it was entertaining is just astonishing to me.
    And I didn't swear to serve and protect.
    That Garda did.
    Who was he serving and protecting when he made the film?

Wailin wrote: »
    I would say her mental state has absolutely nothing to do with you, or anyone else on social media.

Social media is everyone's business.
    That's the whole objective of social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Facebook and whatsapp are the one thing

What was the gaurds putting it on the internet to show his friends for anyway?

They may be the same company but sending something to a contact, or a group, through whatsapp is not the same as uploading it to Facebook. Neither are right, not saying either is better, but there is a difference.

infogiver wrote: »
    He was on duty.
    I work in a public service office with CCTV too.
    The very idea that I would think that I could record footage of a distressed customer for the entertainment of my friends later, or that I would even think it was entertaining is just astonishing to me.
    And I didn't swear to serve and protect.
    That Garda did.
    Who was he serving and protecting when he made the film?
    I completely abhor what he did. I was just clarifying what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

AGS is in serious need of reform but conflating this incident with that is misguided.

It's not a organizational anomaly, rather a idiotic individual that should be sanctioned for such a stupid act.

The fish rots from the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,708 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wouldn't be looking for the guard's head on a platter , I don't know any guards personally but I know a couple of Firefighters and they have a certain gallows humour about them, if you didn't you would go mad. Im sure if he has crossed a disciplinary line it will be dealt with.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I completely abhor what he did. I was just clarifying what happened.

Yeah its actually worse because no other Gardai who were there when he filmed it reported him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Winterlong wrote: »
    It must be a breach of some sort of ethics that the Gardai are expected to uphold.
    Terrible thing to do, upload a video like that. To what purpose - for a 'laugh'?

This whole thing must be torture for her family and friends.

It would appear that any ethics a recruit might have when they turn up for training in Templemore are well knocked out them by the time they leave. Loyalty to the organisation comes before honesty, ethics or anything else.

Neyite wrote: »
    He's a Garda. He should be treating the wasted party girl, or the person having a mental health break with the same dignity as he treats me when he's checking my tax disc. It's about professionalism - it was a work situation. If you came into my workplace and seemed unwell or acting erratically it reflects very badly on my employer that I would record you to share it with my buddies instead of treating you with dignity and respect.

But the Garda wasn't at the scene. He recorded the footage from a CCTV feed at a remote location. He could have been on the other side of the country for all we know.

When you have some posters screaming that he should have been helping the girl then it's important to point out that he wasn't actually present while she was wandering the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

neonsofa wrote: »
    They may be the same company but sending something to a contact, or a group, through whatsapp is not the same as uploading it to Facebook. Neither are right, not saying either is better, but there is a difference.

It's still uploading it to the Internet

Scumbag behaviour from a scumbag tbh....I hope her family cleans him out

If/when he/she gets away with his....What's to stop other gaurds from doing the same??they literally are a law onto themselves at this stage

When you have some posters screaming that he should have been helping the girl then it's important to point out that he wasn't actually present while she was wandering the streets.

Do you think recording the CCTV for the entertainment of his pals was ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

If he's the one who originally shared it then he has full responsibility for everything that then happens to it. If he had trust in the people of the group that it would never get out, well then who's responsible if it does? It's on him.

oh that's alright then, shur if twas all done for a laff then where's the harm? I thought there was something malicious to it, but it was all just for a laugh. god forbid male policemen shouldn't be able to get a laugh out of the extreme mental turmoil of a woman before she committed suicide. </sarcasm>

He should be thrown in jail. Abusing his post like that, what a plonker.

Some police, not all, have serious, serious psychological and power issues. And you can only imagine how bad it goes when that type of control issues are mixed with hardened and tough criminals.

Dude, get a grip. It was a poor decision yes, but hardly worthy of a jail sentence. C'mon, let's not go all Joe Duffy on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

silverharp wrote: »
    I wouldn't be looking for the guard's head on a platter , I don't know any guards personally but I know a couple of Firefighters and they have a certain gallows humour about them, if you didn't you would go mad. Im sure if he has crossed a disciplinary line it will be dealt with.

Gallows humour I get. I work in a similar environment. You make jokes as a way of coping. Nothing wrong with it. This isn't gallows humour, it's sharing a video of a vulnerable woman in the midst of a mental breakdown. What's funny or entertaining about that?

Dude, get a grip. It was a poor decision yes, but hardly worthy of a jail sentence. C'mon, let's not go all Joe Duffy on this.

Not a poor desicion at all. Inexcusable.
    Not worthy of a jail sentence of course thats ridiculous but should be sacked as soon as even the filming on the mobile phone is confirmed never mind the Whatsapp bit.
    And potential future employers deserve to know what the make up of this guys character is like, so I'd like him named and shamed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

eviltwin wrote: »
    Gallows humour I get. I work in a similar environment. You make jokes as a way of coping. Nothing wrong with it. This isn't gallows humour, it's sharing a video of a vulnerable woman in the midst of a mental breakdown. What's funny or entertaining about that?

About as much entertainment as there would be if a nurse videoed a family or child in distress.

None.

I can't believe an adult, let alone a person supposedly tasked with helping and protecting the general public thought this would be an acceptable thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,708 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

eviltwin wrote: »

did he know that? if it was someone who was just drunk or high it would just be grouped under crazy sh1t you see in cities of which there are a near infinite amount on youtube etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement