Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda investigated after CCTV showing arrest of naked, distressed woman goes viral.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭biscuithead

Sues him for all that he's worth??

If your happy to stand over and defend this though pedanticness

That's your prerogative,

However il continue to see gaurds recording this while on duty (assuming he was on duty watching the cctv) and then uploading it to the Internet to show his friends.....

Scumbag behaviour by a scumbag.....who deosnt deserve 1 more cent in pay off the state and should be sacked.....

What else are gaurds sharing online to friends....pics of the PULSE system,perhaps??....too long they've been a law onto themselves....how bad deos it have to get before someone says stop?

Why do you resort to exaggeration, hyperbole and embellishment? Is it to defend your over-the-top reaction?

I'm not defending anything so don't say I am. But I tend to approach such things with a cooler head rather than flying off the handle and then having to make wild speculations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Why do you resort to exaggeration, hyperbole and embellishment? Is it to defend your over-the-top reaction?

I'm not defending anything so don't say I am. But I tend to approach such things with a cooler head rather than flying off the handle and then having to make wild speculations.
    Clarify where I've exaggerated,hyperbole and embellishment??

The facts as they stand....he's accused of recording the cctv and uploading it onto whatsapp??

Quite what your imaginary naked woman on horseback has to do with this is baffling tbh?

Have you read the OP??

He's accused of recording the cctv footage and uploading it to a whatsapp group?

No one's trting to be putting words anywhere,these are the facts??

Your question was loaded and directed at me in a thinly veiled accusation. That's trying to put words in my mouth. You practically stated that I am encouraging the filming of the weak and vulnerable and plastering it all over the internet (to take a leaf out of your playbook of exaggeration).

Your question was loaded and directed at me in a thinly veiled accusation. That's trying to put words in my mouth. You practically stated that I am encouraging the filming of the weak and vulnerable and plastering it all over the internet (to take a leaf out of your playbook of exaggeration).

You do know whatsapp is the internet :confused:

It deosnt run on pixie dust

Nowhere have I put words into your mouth....such an accusation is odd tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

So state what your opinion on this is then. Is it okay or not?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

nhunter100 wrote: »
    No idea... but maybe just reply to a comment without suggesting the poster has said something they didn't. Simple really.

Popping you on ignore now nhunter in part to relieve you of the unbearable pressure you feel to answer and quote my every post on every thread I'm involved in. Further replies from you will not be seen by me so you'll need to select another poster ...right...now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

The gaurds do not swear to serve ano protect the citizens of the country??

Only to uphold the constitution ano human rights afaik

Sweet Jesus. Is this what people are reduced to? Even Kelly Anne Conway wouldn't attempt to make that argument.

The oath is a red herring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

infogiver wrote:
    Popping you on ignore now nhunter in part to relieve you of the unbearable pressure you feel to answer and quote my every post on every thread I'm involved in. Further replies from you will not be seen by me so you'll need to select another poster ...right...now.

Don't flatter yourself I think I have only responded to about 10 of your posts over boards usually asking why you post insulting comments to everyone you disagree with. You were threatened with a card on another forum earlier, Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,859 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

nhunter100 wrote: »
    I said I doubt he knew what the consequences of his actions would be

But given that it's his job to enforce the law he should've known that CCTV footage is covered by the Data Protection Act and can't be shared around for a laugh.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

pilly wrote: »
    What exact point are you trying to make? That this is no big deal?

Stop attacking others posts and put forward your own point of view if you have one.

Why shouldn't I attack posts that make no sense? This girl is dead and that is tragic. She took her own life, even more tragic in my opinion. Did she kill herself because images of her naked were circulated online? Who knows? Do you know?

The garda recorded the cctv footage to show to friends/acquaintances. I'm not sure if this is illegal but it's certainly insensitive and immature. Having said that if the garda just thought she was drunk or sleepwalking then I think that a lot of people would probably have recorded it too to show friends. And please don't just blow up and say "SHE WAS VULNERABLE". We know that NOW.
    A lot of people can't seem to make up their minds about which is the transgression here...recording it or sending it to friends because they are 2 distinct actions.

• Advertisement

But given that it's his job to enforce the law he should've known that CCTV footage is covered by the Data Protection Act and can't be shared around for a laugh.

Knowledge doesn't preclude someone for being an idiot though. To be best of my knowledge being in a public place confers no right or expectation of privacy (i may be wrong open to correction) the use recording of the CCTV footage is a different matter but to think guards don't behave with a certain black humour would be naive.

Members of the whatsapp group that were gaurds and not report it-sacked

Vetting people-not sacked

All gaurds that knew/seen him record on the phone and not report it/stop him....reprimanded and demoted where possible

Not too much to ask surly??

And on what grounds would you base this mass cull? What should the group members have reported exactly? Did they witness a crime or criminal activity?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Why shouldn't I attack posts that make no sense? This girl is dead and that is tragic. She took her own life, even more tragic in my opinion. Did she kill herself because images of her naked were circulated online? Who knows? Do you know?

The garda recorded the cctv footage to show to friends/acquaintances. I'm not sure if this is illegal but it's certainly insensitive and immature. Having said that if the garda just thought she was drunk or sleepwalking then I think that a lot of people would probably have recorded it too to show friends. And please don't just blow up and say "SHE WAS VULNERABLE". We know that NOW.
    A lot of people can't seem to make up their minds about which is the transgression here...recording it or sending it to friends because they are 2 distinct actions.

It doesn't matter whether she was drunk, high, mentally ill or just out for a stroll. The guard shouldn't have recorded the footage of her, end of discussion. There is no justification, there is no permissible scenario where what this guard did could be considered okay. Even if she didn't end her own life afterwards.

Ethically it was completely indefensible and as others pointed out, legally it was in breach of data protection.

I don't see anyone here not making sense except for some silly story about a naked lady on horseback.

What the Garda did was illegal and disgusting. Someone running naked on a street is quite obviously vulnerable, that's not even in question.

And I disagree that a lot of people would record something like this and send it to friends. The fact that you think that says more about what you and your cohort of mates would do than society in general.

I for one have never shared such a video or had one sent to me. If I did I'd be having serious words with the person who sent it.

And on what grounds would you base this mass cull? What should the group members have reported exactly? Did they witness a crime or criminal activity?

The uploading of the video?

It's quite clear in the post you've quoted :confused:

There's no evidence to even suggest all in this whatsapp group were gaurds btw!

I await more imaginary people on horses from you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She doesn't have to have killed herself or be outed for mental health issues for me to know she's vulnerable. Naked+alone= vulnerable.
    Amazed at some of the responses on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Garda was stupid and shouldn't be in the job.

I'm surprised the bigger story isn't how a woman arrested under the mental health act took her life a couple of days later. I would have thought she'd be an inpatient at a psych facility.

anna080 wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago in Galway, I think it was Good Friday, seeing a young woman walk down shop street completely naked. She had her hands in her mouth and was obviously either high on drugs or not in any fit mental state. Either way she was completely vulnerable. It was actually really shocking and a distressing thing to witness. I called the Guards immediately and told them what was going on they said they'd be right there. In all that time I didn't see one person trying to film this girl, everyone looked shocked and really concerned for her.

I just had to leave it at that and let the Guards follow it up because I wasn't comfortable following her to see where she was going and was she okay. If I saw the same thing today I'd still call the Guards. The actions of one moron should not mean that confidence in the whole force should be shattered- but I do see how this could be the case for some people.

I would imagine most people would do what you did. I would try to put a coat around her myself. However what you witnessed was a clear case of someone in trouble. From grainy CCTV footage at a distance this isn't always apparent.

I'm surprised the bigger story isn't how a woman arrested under the mental health act took her life a couple of days later. I would have thought she'd be an inpatient at a psych facility.

Sadly the psych services are not what they should be in this country. A friend of mine a couple of years ago presented himself at the local mental health service requesting help. He got a( it was the weekend) handful of pills sent on his way. Four days later we stood at his grave side.

infogiver wrote: »
    But he was.
    You think this is just fine.
    I hope to God your not a public servant.

Look, you're the one who has chosen to have a complete meltdown about this. To completely overreact and when others don't share your level of hysteria you accuse them of thinking it's ok to embarrass and humiliate the weak and the vulnerable.

• Advertisement

I read recently that the Los Angeles police now attend to all call outs where it is suspected that there is a mentally ill person with a social worker.

I think that is something we should be doing here.

I read recently that the Los Angeles police now attend to all call outs where it is suspected that there is a mentally ill person with a social worker.

I think that is something we should be doing here.

Good luck getting a social worker!!!

You forgot to say it's totally unprofessional, illegal and cruel too.

bubblypop wrote:

Not after 5 or on the weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

anna080 wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago in Galway, I think it was Good Friday, seeing a young woman walk down shop street completely naked. She had her hands in her mouth and was obviously either high on drugs or not in any fit mental state. Either way she was completely vulnerable. It was actually really shocking and a distressing thing to witness. I called the Guards immediately and told them what was going on they said they'd be right there. In all that time I didn't see one person trying to film this girl, everyone looked shocked and really concerned for her.

I just had to leave it at that and let the Guards follow it up because I wasn't comfortable following her to see where she was going and was she okay. If I saw the same thing today I'd still call the Guards. The actions of one moron should not mean that confidence in the whole force should be shattered- but I do see how this could be the case for some people.

Depends on how long ago this was.

Camera phones and social media weren't as big a few years ago, now I would expect that someone would be filming that girl if she did the same thing today.

:confused:

Are we into realms of make believe and easter bunnies now??

No, what kind of a question is that?

I'm asking the question: What if this guard filmed the naked girl and sent it to his friends on whatsapp and what if they had a look at it and got a bit of a laugh and then deleted it and what if she turned out to be drunk or sleepwalking and didn't go on to commit suicide. What would your reaction be then? Would you still be as hysterical? Because that very well could have been the situation at the time this guard recorded the footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,415 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Both are wrong. They're not mutually exclusive.
    I'm asking the question: What if this guard filmed the naked girl and sent it to his friends on whatsapp...

Also, wrong. That in itself regardless of everything else, is wrong and indefensible.

Clarify where I've exaggerated,hyperbole and embellishment??

The facts as they stand....he's accused of recording the cctv and uploading it onto whatsapp??

Quite what your imaginary naked woman on horseback has to do with this is baffling tbh?

So you aren't familiar with analogies then are you? You don't understand examples or case studies?

I'm asking the question: What if this guard filmed the naked girl and sent it to his friends on whatsapp and what if they had a look at it and got a bit of a laugh and then deleted it and what if she turned out to be drunk or sleepwalking and didn't go on to commit suicide. What would your reaction be then?.

Emm the same :confused:

At what point did people stop caring about the standred of people recruited into the gaurds...

It could be just as easily be you or a family member of your who had a breakdown and was arrested naked....which someone decided then would be a bit of fun to upload onto to the Internet to show their friends.....would be happy for your mother or sister to appear in such a video online??

Mental illness can affect anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'm asking the question: What if this guard filmed the naked girl and sent it to his friends on whatsapp and ..........

He didn't - he filmed the CCTV monitor

So you aren't familiar with analogies then are you? You don't understand examples or case studies?

I am......failing to see the relevence here though?

You do know whatsapp is the internet :confused:

It deosnt run on pixie dust

Nowhere have I put words into your mouth....such an accusation is odd tbh

I'm well aware of what comprises the internet. A 128 bit encrypted email through a vpn tunnel is also "over the internet" but it's pretty damn private. Of course if the recipient of that email then unencrypts it and plasters it on a public forum then the sender can hardly be accused of "uploading it to the internet" to use your rather simplistic terms.

And that is just one example of your aforementioned embellishment and exaggeration.

It doesn't matter whether she was drunk, high, mentally ill or just out for a stroll. The guard shouldn't have recorded the footage of her, end of discussion. There is no justification, there is no permissible scenario where what this guard did could be considered okay. Even if she didn't end her own life afterwards.

Ethically it was completely indefensible and as others pointed out, legally it was in breach of data protection.

First off, you don't get to determine when a discussion is ended. Secondly I'd like to know how it could be deemed a breach of data protection what the guard did. I'm sure the law is quite clear here (or maybe it isn't so clear). Is it illegal to record a cctv feed? I don't know. Do you? Is it illegal to share that recording with a closed group? I don't know. Do you? Is it illegal for a member of that closed group to take the recording and post it on an open public forum? I don't know. Do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'm well aware of what comprises the internet. A 128 bit encrypted email through a vpn tunnel is also "over the internet" but it's pretty damn private......................

And none of that matters.

He filmed a monitor at his place of work on his phone ( or a "company" phone )

The uploading of the video?

It's quite clear in the post you've quoted :confused:

There's no evidence to even suggest all in this whatsapp group were gaurds btw!

I await more imaginary people on horses from you :rolleyes:

Just can't help yourself can you. You are given an analogy, one that you don't understand or one that actually pries open the possibility of greyness in your black and white worldview so rather than trying to consider alternative possibilities you just throw out insults and ridicule.

• Advertisement

I'm well aware of what comprises the internet. A 128 bit encrypted email through a vpn tunnel is also "over the internet" but it's pretty damn private. Of course if the recipient of that email then unencrypts it and plasters it on a public forum then the sender can hardly be accused of "uploading it to the internet" to use your rather simplistic terms.

And that is just one example of your aforementioned embellishment and exaggeration.

How is that embellishment and exagerration....I get you don't like the facts here

They are painting an uncomfortable truth for you...which you don't wish to engage...but it stands he/she recorded it at work,put it on the internet to show their friends as is alleged

Simple yes or no answer,would suffice and please no more horse stories

Just can't help yourself can you. You are given an analogy, one that you don't understand or one that actually pries open the possibility of greyness in your black and white worldview so rather than trying to consider alternative possibilities you just throw out insults and ridicule.

What has horses got anything to do with the relevence here???

There's only black/white here....was the gaurds right or wrong in what they done??

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Closing this one for a bit until you all can start realising that there is alot of sh*te being flung at each other in this thread and it's fairly horrible to read.

There are also a hoard of reported posts to get through so the thread needs a review before it snowballs any further.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thread Re-Opened.

nhunter100 please do not post in this thread again. Dragging up other threads and forums to try 1-Up someone in a conversation is not cool and sets the tone of the thread.

To everyone else - change the tone of your posting please, less of the attacking of each other and more of a civil discussion please. This is a multi faceted story that is going to have many different viewpoints, so I ask that there is more civility and understanding amongst each other that it's OK to have different opinions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Not a Word of this on RTE News ?

• Advertisement

Not a Word of this on RTE News ?

I don't think it would be very nice for the dead girls family if it were on prime time news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I don't think it would be very nice for the dead girls family if it were on prime time news.

Mary Lou brought the subject up in the Dail today.

gctest50 wrote: »
    And none of that matters.

He filmed a monitor at his place of work on his phone ( or a "company" phone )

Yes, I know he did. Is that illegal?

I know what your saying. But this news story is on a lot of the Irish news paper Irish Sun , Irish Examiner,this weekend Sunday World,. But there is a lot of people who do not read the news papers. So why does RTE News not report sum of the Irish news stories it makes me think are we being hoodwinked and controlled what we see and hear on RTE News? this is my Opinion .

Yes, I know he did. Is that illegal?

Here we go again...

I know what your saying. But this news story is on a lot of the Irish news paper Irish Sun , Irish Examiner,this weekend Sunday World,. But there is a lot of people who do not read the news papers. So why does RTE News not report sum of the Irish news stories it makes me think are we being hoodwinked and controlled what we see and hear on RTE News? this is my Opinion .

They couldn't possibly report everything that's in the newspapers every day. Think about the amount of stories in the newspaper. The news would take forever.

Here we go again...

Just don't feed.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Mary Lou brought the subject up in the Dail today.
    How would I see this Mary Lou Video?

bubblypop wrote: »

It was the police themselves who brought in the social workers. If the Gardaí pushed for this I think the funding could be provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

How would I see this Mary Lou Video?

Short transcript and live video link is on Broadsheet http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/05/11/i-hope-you-shed-light-on-the-accountability-that-will-be-held-for-the-life-of-dara-quigley/

Mick Barry of the socialists also asked Helen McEntee about dual diagnosis

• Advertisement
Advertisement