Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda investigated after CCTV showing arrest of naked, distressed woman goes viral.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I have never once defended or excused anything and I would recommend that you get your facts straight. I would also strongly recommend that you leave my family out of this. You can "take it" however you see fit. But If you think that I wouldn't mind if any harm befell my mother or sister .... if that's how you "take it", then it's quite apparent with whom I am engaging.

I don't think anyone was suggesting they were going to do something to your family....have a bit of chill kid :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭biscuithead

Who said this??

For all we know he couldve been there and recorded it when he got back to the station?

Either way,amazing this has to be spelled out....in no circumstamces was what happened here ok

You know, earlier on in this thread you railed against me for suggesting that you exaggerate and embellish. You demanded to know when and where you might have engaged in hyporbole.

And since then you come out with statements such as "for all we know he couldve [sic] been there and recorded it when he got back to the station"

I don't think you and I have much more to discuss about this or anything for that matter.

And since then you come out with statements such as "for all we know he couldve [sic] been there and recorded it when he got back to the station"

I don't think you and I have much more to discuss about this or anything for that matter.
    So where do you think he/she recorded it,mcdonalds?? :confused:

(Nice you ignored where it's said in no circumstances is it OK what happened....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

pilly wrote: »
    God, I'm just really letting this sink in and as someone who has suffered mental health difficulties if I thought for one minute that a horrible moment in my life was out there on the internet for all to see and would always be there I think I'd take the same course of action.

What must she have gone through to think how many thousand of people were viewing that?

I sincerely hope that this so called Garda never sleeps soundly again.

If you're having a heart attack, an ambulance is called and you get appropriate treatment based on many years of practice.

If you're suspected of having a mental health issue you are manhandled and bundled into a Garda car to await assessment. And obviously some Guards don't care a damn about sharing information for the lulz.

I hope that all the Guards involved here from the arrest to the video sharing don't ever sleep soundly again. If they don't have a guilty conscience then well...

oneilla wrote: »
    If you're having a heart attack, an ambulance is called and you get appropriate treatment based on many years of practice.

If you're suspected of having a mental health issue you are manhandled and bundled into a Garda car to await assessment. And obviously some Guards don't care a damn about sharing information for the lulz.

I hope that all the Guards involved here from the arrest to the video sharing don't ever sleep soundly again. If they don't have a guilty conscience then well...

To be fair....noone is argueing againest the garda intervention here....was clearly a troubled women

Only the gaurds uploading it to the Internet for the lolz is a worrying development.

To be fair....noone is argueing againest the garda intervention here....was clearly a troubled women

Only the gaurds uploading it to the Internet for the lolz is a worrying development.

Yes I've noticed that people are focused on the sharing of the video

The manhandling of a naked woman who was harming noone including herself bothers me - on the video she approached noone else, harmed noone, she was wearing shoes, stopped at traffic lights, crossed safely. Then a male Guard stronger than Dara aggressively arrested her. That's an issue that ought to be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Did they try and talk to her first?

What an odd world where we feel it necessary to roughly arrest someone because they have no clothes on. Christ, some were not much more to awards shows these days and they get lauded for it.

To anyone that seen the clip: when the video was posted on FB, was Dara identified as the person? Was she discussed by name? If so, what was the general kind of reaction to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

It's a number of weeks since I saw the clip but I didn't think the young woman was treated roughly by the guards who arrived on the scene.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Under recent changes to mental health legislation the provision of an ambulance with medical personnel taking a distressed person away has been replaced by the Gardai arresting the person. An incredibly retrograde step and this has affected someone very close to me.

There should be an outrage over this.

RIP to the unfortunate woman.

If a person was naked in a public place I would expect the Gardai to remove them as soon as possible and not wait for an ambulance. They can't know whether the person is drunk, on drugs or has a medical condition, but they can't take the risk of an incident happening. We may say we can think of incidents where distressed people were treated badly as a result, but on the other hand we can think of incidents where distressed people have acted in a way that causes people to say later, pity the Gardai weren't around to remove them.

But taking a video of it and sharing it on social media. That's just wrong. Even if a passer by did it I would wonder why they felt the need, but for a Garda, it should mean disciplinary action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

You wrote: "It might make you think that your [sic] not safe anywhere."

Why must you persist in including these obnoxious editor's notes to the quotes you're trying to rebuke? Do you believe one easily made spelling error negates the point the poster is putting forward? If so...
    You demanded to know when and where you might have engaged in hyporbole.

It's not hyporbole [sic] it's hyperbole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Under recent changes to mental health legislation the provision of an ambulance with medical personnel taking a distressed person away has been replaced by the Gardai arresting the person. An incredibly retrograde step and this has affected someone very close to me.

There should be an outrage over this.

If somebody is not of their mind they are a danger to themselves and more importantly innocent bystanders. They need to be immobilised, tied down and then ask questions later.

Waiting for the white coats to arrive to humour a crazy person that could be carrying a weapon isn't going to help anybody. And medical staff are not equipped or have the mandate to deal with violent mental cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

If somebody is not of their mind they are a danger to themselves and more importantly innocent bystanders. They need to be immobilised, tied down and then ask questions later.

Waiting for the white coats to arrive to humour a crazy person that could be carrying a weapon isn't going to help anybody. And medical staff are not equipped or have the mandate to deal with violent mental cases.

Calling anyone a "mental case" is a disgusting term to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

This is the point I raised earlier in the thread. There needs to be a collaborative approach been the garda and the HSE. To the man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.

This is the point I raised earlier in the thread. There needs to be a collaborative approach been the garda and the HSE.

I don't think agree.

I think if the Gardaí perceive a problem at any stage of the day or night, they should be able to take immediate steps to address the problem and not wait until the HSE turns up. They can't drum their fingers until someone from the HSE pulls the file or forms some analysis from observation. Plus, it would be bizarre, the medical expert saying "right, he's a drunk messer on a stag, haul him off, she's violent, haul her off...but that one over there may be distressed, let her be or go easy on her".

Even if that is just manifesting itself as the person not wearing any clothes??

Sure nudists beaches are full of such "mental cases" so - should we send in the riot squad?
    Waiting for the white coats to arrive to humour a crazy person that could be carrying a weapon...

And where pray tell could Dara have been concealing said weapon??

Clearly each case should be handled differently and the risks assessed of just how dangerous a person might be to the public before deciding how to proceed.

Even if that is just manifesting itself as the person not wearing any clothes??

Sure nudists beaches are full of such "mental cases" so - should we send in the riot squad?

And where pray tell could Dara have been concealing said weapon??

Clearly each case should be handled differently and the risks assessed of just how dangerous a person might be to the public before deciding how to proceed.

She could have used a foreign object as a weapon. A glass bottle for example.

PS: when I say mental cases, I mean the incident not the people.

She could have used a foreign object as a weapon. A glass bottle for example.

She could have shot them all with an AK47 too... but the point is she had neither at her disposal.

People who's only crime is that they are not wearing any clothes should be spoken with first, especially when it's quite clear they are not in any immediate danger to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Interesting the story doesn't feature at all on RTE.

It was mentioned on Radio 1's Morning Ireland "it says in the papers" section today.

However, I checked the news website there and it doesn't feature. I find this worrying. This seems a newsworthy issue and other outlets have covered it. I see a strong public interest in covering what seems pretty inappropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The Garda really badly need an overhaul. Serious amount of dregs in the force including the sap who shared the video.

From the top down it is corrupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

ED E wrote: »
    Just to add to the dismay, the woman heading up the new "Garda Review Body" was the one that appointed O'Sullivan. Like COME ON.

Why is this a surprise? Seriously, do people not grasp the endemic corruption that exists in everyday political life and to an extension Irish society. Its rampant from housing to public services. Absolutely rampant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

If someones first reaction to seeing a naked woman on the street is that she's come from a sex party then I'm definitely moving in the wrong circles. Jesus wept the lengths people go to defend the indefensible.

Joshua J wrote: »
    If someones first reaction to seeing a naked woman on the street is that she's come from a sex party then I'm definitely moving in the wrong circles...

She could be a rape victim, she could be on drink, on drugs, she could have psychiatric issues.

Either way the Gardaí, not the HSE, need to move in immediately and take her away from the area, if only to reduce the risk to herself, and then assess whether it's someone who needs to sober up in a cell or needs medical assistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Why is this a surprise? Seriously, do people not grasp the endemic corruption that exists in everyday political life and to an extension Irish society. Its rampant from housing to public services. Absolutely rampant.

I'm certainly not disputing this point, but what's the problem of corruption in housing in Ireland?

She could have shot them all with an AK47 too... but the point is she had neither at her disposal.

People who's only crime is that they are not wearing any clothes should be spoken with first, especially when it's quite clear they are not in any immediate danger to others.

What street has AK47s laying about?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

She could be a rape victim, she could be on drink, on drugs, she could have psychiatric issues.

Either way the Gardaí, not the HSE, need to move in immediately and take her away from the area, if only to reduce the risk to herself, and then assess whether it's someone who needs to sober up in a cell or needs medical assistance.

ffs idiots here !!!

second time i ve posted this in this thread

was she not arrested under the mental health act and given help/treatment by the relevant professionals ?

or do you think the gardai just took a video on the street and let her on ? ?

mynamejeff wrote: »
    ffs idiots here !!!

was she not arrested under the mental health act and given help/treatment by the relevant professionals ?

You'd do better to read the thread rather than pop in every so often for a rant.

Your post has nothing to do with the one your answering.

So where do you think he/she recorded it,mcdonalds?? :confused:

(Nice you ignored where it's said in no circumstances is it OK what happened....)

Are you purposely trying to completely miss the point. He recorded it from a CCTV feed at the station. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Are you purposely trying to completely miss the point. He recorded it from a CCTV feed at the station. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?

biscuithead - dial back that tone please. Civil discussion.

So you favour the US cop style response of slamming a mentally ill person to the concrete and cuffing them because "they might have a weapon"?

I prefer the Swedish approach:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/emaoconnor/swedish-cops-on-vacation-schooled-the-nypd?utm_term=.anWpNlLj7#.wvrPO1xak

• Advertisement

You'd do better to read the thread rather than pop in every so often for a rant.

Your post has nothing to do with the one your answering.

na i read the thread

i disagree with you

na i read the thread

i disagree with you

The post you were replying to wasn't mine so what exactly do you disagree with me on?

The post you were replying to wasn't mine so what exactly do you disagree with me on?

well you posted in reply to me replying to someone else , so your statement is a bit odd imo

i disagree with your statement that i didn't read the thread . seeing as i did read it ,

understand now ? ?

ffs idiots here !!!

You need to take a breath and read my post again.

I am saying the Gardaí took the correct action insofar as dealing with her...except for the recording. I am saying that they need to remove someone wandering around the street naked...and then assess if that person needs a cell or a doctor. I am disputing the idea that the HSE should be called in immediately, or that the Gardaí acted incorrectly.

Now, try to keep up, good man.

So you favour the US cop style response of slamming a mentally ill person to the concrete and cuffing them because "they might have a weapon"?

What??? :pac: :pac: :pac:

You're just making up conversations in your head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

sugarman wrote: »
    I think this is being blown out of proportion

First off, the footage was of someone recording from a blurry CCTV monitor on a crappy phone. The CCTV camera was miles away. You can hardly make out whats going on, never mind identify who the person was. I seen it posted on facebook the other week.

Secondly, the Garda in question sent it to a private whatsapp group. Someone else in that group decided to share it or send it on until it reached facebook. I dont think there was any real intent or malicious here to defame anyone. It was probably a 'Ah you'll never guess what happened in work' type of message sent onto the lads.

I dont think the guard done a whole lot wrong, I mean the woman was recorded in the middle of the street. It not illegal to record anyone in a public place. It was stupid and imature, but thats really it.

Should we start a guessing game as to which station you or your family member are based ?

The reason I ask is you seem to have the same level of understanding and comprehension as to what professionalism in policing is, as the idiot of a garda that posted the video of a video to their mates on whatsapp.
    Interesting the story doesn't feature at all on RTE.

Paul Reynolds is back after disappearing for a while there during the hellabahooo over some people trying to paint whistle blowers as paedophiles.

Better be careful, he can be handy with the old lawsuits. ;)
    Take a step back and blame whoever put in the cctv because that's where the original recording and sharing started.

It doesn't matter who filmed or recorded something first, the garda who shared it on whatsapp should be fired.
    AGS is in serious need of reform but conflating this incident with that is misguided.

It's not a organizational anomaly, rather a idiotic individual that should be sanctioned for such a stupid act.

Bullshye.

Even if he is an idiot and somehow made it through their stringent :rolleyes: selection and training, he and every other member should be totally aware about guidelines and rules on the sharing of information and videos that they get access to through their job.
    It is basic cop on.

The force is now a joke.
    It is unprofessional, has engaged in corruption for cronies, has targeted whistle blowers in the most insidious manner possible, has fraudently concocted statistics, has a leadership that it appears can't tell a straight truth.
    Two things puzzle me about this.

1) How a grown adult can complete basic training in Templemore without knowing how utterly despicable his actions are in this case and still qualify as a member of the Gardai

2) How the presence of such an individual has escaped the attention of his superiors. I mean if the guy has such a casual attitude towards those he's paid to protect it's disappointing how long he's been getting away with it.

You don't have to be brightest to get into or out of Templemore.

The management couldn't give a rat's ass it appears.

Besides if one of the decent ones complained about this type of guy, they would be ones hounded.
    rawn wrote: »
    As was pointed out a few posts back, the Garda didn't record the actual event, he was reviewing the CCTV footage which he then recorded on his phone.

It doesn't matter.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Besides if one of the decent ones complained about this type of guy, they would be ones hounded.

Really? Why would you think that? Do you think that all Gardai just stick up for each other no matter what? You are very wrong.
    As was the guy who took the video & shared it, & the guy that put it on facebook

Very good article, worth a read.

http://www.headstuff.org/2017/05/for-dara-quigley/
    An Garda Síochana's most recently available Strategy Statement for 2016-2018, readily available online, begins with a summary of its apparent values as an organisation.

It outlines service, honesty, accountability, respect, professionalism and empathy as its core values.

The nature of her arrest was incredibly problematic in itself. She was manhandled with excessive force by several officers, despite posing no threat whatsoever, to anyone ? and it?s clear that no attempt was made to deal with her calmly or respectfully. Professionalism?

Even that?s a drop in the ocean in comparison with what followed. A Garda monitoring CCTV remotely thought it appropriate to record the arrest ? that is, to record a clearly distressed naked woman being pushed and shoved aggressively by 4 officers ? and circulate it with his buddies in a WhatsApp group. It subsequently travelled to Facebook and was seen over 100,000 times before its removal. Empathy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

bubblypop wrote: »

Really? Why would you think that? Do you think that all Gardai just stick up for each other no matter what? You are very wrong.
    As was the guy who took the video & shared it, & the guy that put it on facebook

Hmmmm let me see.
    Perhaps we should have a poll on this and see how many people believe that Garda whistle blowers are targeted both by their colleagues and even worse by management, even right up to commissioner level.

Perhaps you would like me to use some of the ex commissioner's quotes to back me up ?
    Perhaps you would like me to remind you of the brief that was/wasn't given to the commissioners own legal team as to how to handle the whistle blower ?

Perhaps we should also ask people if they think it is a coincidence that very serious allegations, investigations and files are opened about garda whistle blowers by other state agencies after the whistle blowers have gone public.

Maybe you can tell us where gardai draw the line when it come "sticking up" for each other ?

Tell you what lets ask the posters if they agree more with me than you ?

Actually may be it is time for a poll on boards as to whether we trust the AGS anymore?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Do you think that all Gardai just stick up for each other no matter what?

That's more or less what Judge Smithwick found.
    Judge Peter Smithwick has unleashed a blistering attack on the Garda - accusing it of prizing loyalty over honesty.
    The tribunal chairman said he was depressed and disheartened that a culture still exists in the force where its reputation takes priority over everything else.

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Hmmmm let me see.
    Perhaps we should have a poll on this and see how many people believe that Garda whistle blowers are targeted both by their colleagues and even worse by management, even right up to commissioner level.

Perhaps you would like me to use some of the ex commissioner's quotes to back me up ?
    Perhaps you would like me to remind you of the brief that was/wasn't given to the commissioners own legal team as to how to handle the whistle blower ?

Perhaps we should also ask people if they think it is a coincidence that very serious allegations, investigations and files are opened about garda whistle blowers by other state agencies after the whistle blowers have gone public.

Maybe you can tell us where gardai draw the line when it come "sticking up" for each other ?

Tell you what lets ask the posters if they agree more with me than you ?

Actually may be it is time for a poll on boards as to whether we trust the AGS anymore?

I don't care how many people believe whistle-blowers were targeted by colleagues. People love to believe the worst in Gardai.
    I don't know of anyone that targeted whistle-blowers, and if management did, if they did, it's nothing to do with ordinary Gardai.
    There are guards doing wrong & breaking the law, they are arrested often & go before the courts.
    I don't believe any member thinks it's OK to do what this guy did.
    How do you think it was brought to the attention of management?

What street has AK47s laying about?

Is you're argument, seriously, that a naked woman needs to be "immobilised, tied down and then ask questions later" cause she might grab a broken bottle?? :P

The nonsense that people will conjure up to avoid having to accept that the Gardai acted incorrectly.

Is you're argument, seriously, that a naked woman needs to be "immobilised, tied down and then ask questions later" cause she might grab a broken bottle?? :P

The nonsense that people will conjure up to avoid having to accept that the Gardai acted incorrectly.

We were talking about the protocol not the incident. But yes, deranged people are a danger to everybody and should be treated as a severe threat to everybody. I don't care if it is a naked woman or a hobo with a beard, they are all dangers.

The second part of your post is another case of a person having a conversation with a voice in your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I don't believe any member thinks it's OK to do what this guy did.

How many members reported it?

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    How many members reported it?

I don't know? Do you?
    I don't know how many were in the whats app group, do you?
    Obviously someone did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I don't know? Do you?
    yes.
    Obviously someone did.
    Not a garda. It was reported when it went wide on the net.

Well, the person I know very well was reported by a neighbour and was going through a dysphoric elation. He was fully clothed BTW. No danger to others at all.

Up to recently, in cases such as these the ambulance and Gardai arrived at the scene and if the distressed person complied with the ambulance staff then the Gardai subsequently went on their way. They only intervened if the person being taken away was being violent or abusive.

Now, just the Gardai arrive and arrest the distressed person. Utterly inhumane. A cynical cost-cutting measure on the part of the Government but as there are so few lobbyists for mental health nothing is being done.

My good friend had bruising to his wrists from the placing of handcuffs on him.

Disgraceful.

We were talking about the protocol not the incident. But yes, deranged people are a danger to everybody and should be treated as a severe threat to everybody. I don't care if it is a naked woman or a hobo with a beard, they are all dangers.

The second part of your post is another case of a person having a conversation with a voice in your head.

"Deranged" people? That says it all. The vast majority of people with psychiatric difficulties are not a danger to others.

A little understanding and empathy would go a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Dara's brother gives a moving eulogy

http://www.thejournal.ie/dara-quigley-vigil-3387145-May2017/

Let's try to remember she had a loving family, while discussing this issue.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Up to recently, in cases such as these the ambulance and Gardai arrived at the scene...

If I took off my clothes and wandered around a city centre, I doubt there is any time in history where the Gardai would have simply watched and waited for an ambulance, and pondered was I drunk, high, dangerous to myself, dangerous to others, suffering from a psychiatric condition etc. And, I wouldn't expect police to stand back in other countries either.

Advertisement