Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital camera vs smartphone

• 10-05-2017 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

I have a Nikon Coolpix that I spent about €100 on a couple of years back but am very underwhelmed by the quality of the pictures it takes. I'm looking at either buying a new digital camera or a smartphone with a decent camera. I'm thinking of either investing ~€200 in a digital camera, or ~€300 in a smartphone. Which option would get me the best quality snapper?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A camera will exceed the capabilities of a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭GBX

doxy wrote: »
    I have a Nikon Coolpix that I spent about €100 on a couple of years back but am very underwhelmed by the quality of the pictures it takes. I'm looking at either buying a new digital camera or a smartphone with a decent camera. I'm thinking of either investing ~€200 in a digital camera, or ~€300 in a smartphone. Which option would get me the best quality snapper?
    You could pick up a 2nd hand entry level dslr for that money and get decent pics

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

doxy wrote: »

Look for a Nikon D3200, its a great entry level DSLR and you should be able to pick up a second hand one from around 200 euros.

What model is your Coolpix? If its a Bridge camera, you should have some of the settings a DSLR would have which would make moving to a DLSR much easier.

I will say that once you start to learn about your DSLR and how to use the settings, you will start to see the bigger difference between the two and how much more control you get with your DLSR, a quick example being you can get the lovely blurred background (bokeh) with a DSLR that a phone can't give you (it will simulate it, but its far from accurate).

There are literally thousands of videos on youtube, groups on facebook etc to help you get more from your camera and help teach you how to use it (not just how to take nice photos, but the technical side to photography too).

The last thing I will saw is this... if you get a DSLR, be prepared to get addicted to photography! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what do want to use it for?

Advertisement