Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verdemont in flames

• 10-05-2017 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard from a friend. Nobody hurt apparently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0510/874143-dublin-fire/

"There are no reports of any injuries.

It is understood between 50 and 60 apartments have been evacuated. Ten fire brigade units are at the scene.

The management company of the apartment block has told RTÉ News that between 75 and 100 people will not be able to go back into their apartments tonight. "

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Out of curiosity, for those that are not able to go back to their properties - what happens to those affected? How is temporary accommodation arranged?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭SystemsGuy

I was talking to one of the landlords last night and the civil defense have organized places to house the people who were evacuated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Says that it was started by a BBQ one of the apartments was having. Some women called it in, and knocked on doors to get people out. Said the man was trying to put it out with a glass of water.

I'm guessing it could have been avoided by not having a BBQ, or even if the person had the cop on to grab a fire hose or fire extinguisher rather than a glass of water.

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    Says that it was started by a BBQ one of the apartments was having. Some women called it in, and knocked on doors to get people out. Said the man was trying to put it out with a glass of water.

I'm guessing it could have been avoided by not having a BBQ, or even if the person had the cop on to grab a fire hose or fire extinguisher rather than a glass of water.

Maybe a tall glass would have done the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My SIL's parents live there, she said it started because a gas canister fell onto the bbq and blew up, the flames got on the roof and the guy hadn't realised which is why he was just trying to quench the fire on the balcony. It spread like crazy, I wouldn't be v confident of living there again, it was like lighting a match to paper, it went up so quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭IrishSea

January wrote: »
    My SIL's parents live there, she said it started because a gas canister fell onto the bbq and blew up, the flames got on the roof and the guy hadn't realised which is why he was just trying to quench the fire on the balcony. It spread like crazy, I wouldn't be v confident of living there again, it was like lighting a match to paper, it went up so quickly.

Do you know who the developer was?
    Were there any issues with firestopping etc before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No idea, they're just renting and in a completely different block to where the fire was, thankfully. I've no idea if there were any issues with fire stopping before I have some photos but I'll have to use a different site to upload. I'll post them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

A lot of the damage in cases like this comes water damage from the firefighting itself rather than the fire- because this was on the top floor unfortunately I expect a huge amount of water damage has destroyed apartments on all levels. Really tragic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

A friend of mine died in a fire in Verdemont , a good few years ago, but I still think of it - http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-still-in-dark-over-couples-deaths-26055692.html , now that was tragic. 'Stuff' can be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Anyone know if there's a donation place? I 'm just clearing out a rental apartment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Murt10

Another "Priory Hall" type building?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Murt10 wrote: »

In fairness, it's impossible to legislate for gobsh1tes running barbecues on balconies of any apartment block. Recipe for disaster. No pun intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another 100 people needing housed now apparently.....just what the capital needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Murt10 wrote: »

I wouldn't think so looking at the photos, and I work in that field. Fire protection inside a multi-unit building like that will only ever delay a blaze, not isolate one indefinitely. Everyone got out in good time, most of the lower floor damage is reported to be from water, I'd say the building fabric did its job.

However its a horrible thing for the residents and I wish them the best. Likewise, if there is a donation method, for money or materials, Id like to hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tinaf3000

TallGlass wrote: »

The papers lied. He wasn't trying to put it out with a glass of water. It was a large pot and yes I agree. He should have ran into the hallway where fire extinguishers are available and used them. Obviously panick set in and sense went out the window!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭AlanG

If any landlords have accommodation coming free there are families who have to travel to school locally from hotels in Ballymun and Clondalkin who would really appreciate a chance for first offer on rentals. I know St. Francis Xavier have some families in need and I am sure the other local schools have similar students in need. if you know of any accommodation coming on stream the school office would like to hear about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭djan

Apologies for posting on an old thread but felt it was relevant to the topic of the fire.

Recently have gone sale agreed on a unit in the Verdemont complex but now found that due to all the fire damages not being covered by insurance at the time. Each unit in Verdemont will have to chip in 2,000 EUR in addition to management fees and could over the years total to about 40k in extra fees.

Could some owners currently living there confirm this? Surely it would make the units unsalable unless this is factored into the price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

djan wrote: »
    Apologies for posting on an old thread but felt it was relevant to the topic of the fire.

Recently have gone sale agreed on a unit in the Verdemont complex but now found that due to all the fire damages not being covered by insurance at the time. Each unit in Verdemont will have to chip in 2,000 EUR in addition to management fees and could over the years total to about 40k in extra fees.

Could some owners currently living there confirm this? Surely it would make the units unsalable unless this is factored into the price?

That’s one of the reasons you pay you solicitor. They should be all over this. But 40k? Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭djan

Definitely glad this information was found. The 40k is at the lowest scale of the estimates, while there will be efforts to get government and other bodies involved, its a very messy situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

djan wrote: »
    Definitely glad this information was found. The 40k is at the lowest scale of the estimates, while there will be efforts to get government and other bodies involved, its a very messy situation.

The government are not getting involved in these cases. There's something like 250k affected units across the country so don't be expecting a bail out.

Advertisement