Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating Tenancy before Starting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Just general comments.

1. Was there a tenancy. Yes. The Landlord accepted money. The contract was made.

2. Is the landlord entitled to keep the money. Technically yes. But only to the extent he has a loss. In circumstances where he had to advertise anyway (and the withdrawl of the tenant did not make him have to readvertise) the loss is negligable.

3. Can the Landlord seek specific performance- i.e force the tenant to comply with his obligations. No. The Tenant and Landlord can terminate without cause for the first six months each. A security deposit is to protect against losses. Here there are no losses.

4. Is this not a monetary claim only such that it comes within the jurisdiction of the small claims court? No. It is a security deposit which relates to a tenancy and is not a pure monetary claim.

Hopefully that helps.

Does termination in the first 6 months require notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

itgirl268 wrote: »
    I havnt moved in yet either...

Is the area so bad that you cannot just move in, take up residence and then within the six months serve proper notice of moving out? That way you have somewhere to stay while searching for a new place and the LL will have no reason to withhold your deposit?

In a way it would be like calling the landlords bluff, if he won't return the deposit then get your moneys worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Does termination in the first 6 months require notice?

No. Its outside the act. No notice required.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Well you live and you learn.
    So someone could move into my apartment tomorrow and I could throw them out the day after?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is inside the Act. Part 4 of the Act does not apply but the rest does. Also the terms of the lease apply if they offer superior protection to the tenant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement