Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local TD's

Options
  • 10-05-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi everyone.
    Me and my family are in the situation where we need some word of advice.

My wife is unemployed, my son is 9 and in full time education in the local school in Dundalk and I am working fulltime in Dublin since November 2016.
    Due to the location of my new job I have to travel on daily basis to Dublin and back, spending around €700 per month on petrol and the toll alone. This leaves us with almost nothing in the end.
    I have enquired in local SW office whether there is any assistance we can avail of, but the answer was straight away "No. It's up to you where you choose to work" they said.
    It felt like they don't really care if I'll get back on to SW, while there is work available for me.
    With all due respect, I could just sit on my butt and get paid while watching television but I do not wish to set such example to my kid and to be honest I can't really imagine myself doing nothing anyway.

I was thinking to address this issue to one of the
    local TDs or politician who may be able to guide me in the right direction or something.
    Can somebody suggest one that would possibly care?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Declan Breathnach
    Peter Fitzpatrick
    Gerry Adams
    Fergus O'Dowd
    Imelda Munster.

Take your pick. The first three are the more local.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

b.e.s.s. wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    Me and my family are in the situation where we need some word of advice.

My wife is unemployed, my son is 9 and in full time education in the local school in Dundalk and I am working fulltime in Dublin since November 2016.
    Due to the location of my new job I have to travel on daily basis to Dublin and back, spending around €700 per month on petrol and the toll alone. This leaves us with almost nothing in the end.
    I have enquired in local SW office whether there is any assistance we can avail of, but the answer was straight away "No. It's up to you where you choose to work" they said.
    It felt like they don't really care if I'll get back on to SW, while there is work available for me.
    With all due respect, I could just sit on my butt and get paid while watching television but I do not wish to set such example to my kid and to be honest I can't really imagine myself doing nothing anyway.

I was thinking to address this issue to one of the
    local TDs or politician who may be able to guide me in the right direction or something.
    Can somebody suggest one that would possibly care?

Thanks in advance.

€700 a month? You can get the bus for €260 a month, and thats without a tax saver ticket. Considering the Matthews drops you on O'Connell Street, I cant imagine any further travel around Dublin would be more than €100 a month.

I work full time, so does my spouse. Income after tax about €650/60 a week between us. We pay €225 rent, €25 Gas and Electric, €50 Shopping, €200 Child between shopping and childcare, €60 week for bus for spouse, €20 myself week for travel to work, €30 TV, Internet, €40 loans we got to able to afford deposit on house.

Can you ask one them TD's sort me out with a few pound aswell please

As for your the bit in bold, They Don't CARE!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

€700 a month? You can get the bus for €260 a month, and thats without a tax saver ticket. Considering the Matthews drops you on O'Connell Street, I cant imagine any further travel around Dublin would be more than €100 a month.

I work full time, so does my spouse. Income after tax about €650/60 a week between us. We pay €225 rent, €25 Gas and Electric, €50 Shopping, €200 Child between shopping and childcare, €60 week for bus for spouse, €20 myself week for travel to work, €30 TV, Internet, €40 loans we got to able to afford deposit on house.

Bit harsh there only looking a bit of advice

house45 wrote: »
    Bit harsh there only looking a bit of advice

Asking for TD's advice on why he is not due Social Welfare.

Its pretty easy to log onto www.welfare.ie and find out what entitlements he could get. If they told him in the DSP office he was over the income limit for whatever he was looking to claim, a TD is not going to be able to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭b.e.s.s.

Thank you for your answer and yes, I will mention that I am not the only one in this situation ☺

• Advertisement

Declan Breathnach
    Peter Fitzpatrick
    Gerry Adams
    Fergus O'Dowd
    Imelda Munster.

Take your pick. The first three are the more local.

Thank you for your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

as a matter of interest what is the cut off for a married couple with 1 child. I can never actually find numbers on the website

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    as a matter of interest what is the cut off for a married couple with 1 child. I can never actually find numbers on the website

511 as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Try The social welfare thread on this forum for a better answer mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

511 as far as I know

Is that gross or net?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I commend you for this but unfortunately in this country it is often nonviable for a person, particularly a family man, to accept a job of less than €x per month and sign off SW. By the time you lose medical card, rent allowance, etc, you are often better off staying on the dole. (I'm not saying it's nonviable in your particular situation)

I've a mortgage, work full time, as does herself, and we've two kids. But, we're not married. We would actually be financially better off separating. As a cohabiting couple you get none of the benefits/allowances/tax credits of married couples or those of single parents, but have all the liabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Listing out a budget is not all that relevant, and more than a bit patronising and rude. There's a whole bunch of costs that you aren't touching on, and I'd hate to have to go to a doctor or dentist (or for my wife/child) with a budget like that. And I assume there's nothing in that for birthdays or gifts for e.g. your kid. If you have a TV, the licence is another few quid every week. Most people have bin charges, same again.

A monthly ticket with Dublin Bus is well over 100 euro per month btw.

My point ultimately is that you can't​ just read something and apply your world view on it as though the world would be saved if only people watched their money like you seem to.

Advertisement