Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can we do about Junkies / Drunks in our Apt building?

Options
  • 10-05-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi guys.

Long story short.

We live in an Apt Building. The back of the building has a fire door thats broken and lets every unwanted <snip< in the town into the building.

The first floor where I live, the fire door does not close properly so anyone can walk into the building via the fire escape.

Legally does the landlord have to fix the firedoor?. Surely the fact anyone can walk into the apartment building is a serious issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you contacted the management company?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Katsumoto47

Have you contacted the management company?

Multiple times and in writing. They have done nothing.

Unfortunately for us right now moving out is not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Report them to the local fire station?

listermint wrote: »
    Report them to the local fire station?

The fact that the door is permanently open? I doubt they'd care about that. I would understand if it was permanently closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Find out who insures the building, call them.

• Advertisement

The reason the our letting agents given us for not fixing the door,

"Other tenants have no/lost key fobs and use it for access"

<mod snip>

A very nice elderly lady who lives on our floor just got jumped by two junkies and was taken away by ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Would you talk to Joe?

I know it's crazy suggesting that as an option as sensible alternatives should do it, but if the management company and landlord don't want to know. You might have to ham it up for radio. Still, the previous suggestions of contacting the insurance company seems a better first option.

Sounds like a horrible situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The fact that the door is permanently open? I doubt they'd care about that. I would understand if it was permanently closed.

Indeed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Let's deal with facts not name calling. There's no need for emotive language or names that lead to the thread being pulled off topic.

The door being open is a security hazard and despite what others suggest, a fire hazard. Fire doors are designed to seal to help prevent the spread of a fire. Being permanently open is seriously hazardous as is being permanently closed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

athtrasna wrote:
    The door being open is a security hazard and despite what others suggest, a fire hazard. Fire doors are designed to seal to help prevent the spread of a fire. Being permanently open is seriously hazardous as is being permanently closed.

Maybe a fire chief could be called so. I remember a place I used to work in getting pulled up for having a door blocked open with a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I would worry that leaving that door open renders all block insurance invalid. Have you tried contacting any of the owners to express concerns about this?

Advertisement