Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Ultra Marathon 3rd Place Finish 2017 - Training Log

• 10-05-2017 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am posting this log retrospectively having finished the Connemara Ultra 3 weeks ago. I exceeded my goals and felt the training done had a huge impact on my ability to do so.

It was my first real training cycle and no doubt there are countless errors on my behalf within. There is also a lot of good information for anyone looking to tackle that wonderful race in the coming years - so I hope if you are reading this you take something from my experience and it can help you enjoy your running.

What to expect

This log will contain the nuts and bolts - week by week . I will detail the distance covered, type of workout, and hr average (my hr max is 190 or very close to it. ).

I logged strava notes on each training day so they will also be included.

For additional information -
    • My Race Day Recap :
    http://irishrunningjourney.blogspot.ie/2017/04/connemara-ultra-marathon-2017-race-day.html
    • My Training Cycle Analysis :
    http://irishrunningjourney.blogspot.ie/2017/05/working-9-to-5-running-5-to-9-connemara.html

The Training Plan

I followed John O'Regans training plan which was drawn up specifically for Connemara - http://www.connemarathon.com/18-weeks/ultra.pdf.

I completed my marathon on December 3rd, and took a month off afterwards. I would jump into the above plan in week 4. That means an 18 week cycle became 15. I went in with no base building .

Primary Race Goal

To finish the race in under 5 hours. Training would be focused around achieving a per mile pace of 7:30 for the 39.3 miles.

Let's start the show
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Week 1 - 15 weeks until race day

Week beginning 9th January

Tuesday - Easy 6.5 miles @ 147 hr avg . 8:37 per mile.

First run in a month. Ran from work to try and assess the routes nearby for training. Found a steep hill a mile from work (its marked as 15% gradient!) which I will use for my hill repeats.

Wednesday
    - Easy 8 miles @ 156 hr avg. 7:46 per mile.

I was alarmed at how high my HR was through this workout. I was aware fitness would be lost in the last month but the effort require for these miles is worrying.

Saturday - Easy -8 miles @ 159 hr avg. 7:57 per mile

Another run with high effort relative to the pacing. It's nice to be back running again but I can't help and look at the splits...

Sunday -Easy - 12.5 miles @ 148 hr avg. 8:13 per mile.

Slowly but surely my running economy is starting to re appear.

This week was all about starting to get some mileage in rather than jumping straight into the training plan. Goal being to catch up with the long runs in the plan within the next 2 weeks (but not straight away so as to avoid jumping in mileage too soon).

Total miles for the week : 35.5 miles.

Week 2 -14 weeks until Race Day

Week beginning 16th January

Tuesday - 5 a side soccer

Wednesday - Easy 10 miles @ 137 hr avg. 8:30 per mile.

Went out beyond the Galway docks to discover some new routes for running.

Went for a few miles on the grass in the Claddagh and headed back home.

Thursday- Tempo Run - 10 miles @ 150 hr avg, 7:54 per mile.

My first attempt at a tempo oriented run in the cycle. The plan has tempos scheduled every Thursday.

I ran 2 miles WU with 6 @ a faster than goal marathon pace - 7 : 20 per mile roughly. 2 miles CD to finish.

Saturday - Easy 11 @ 139 hr avg, 7.57 per mile.

Took the time today to discover the route out towards Salthill prom and back. 11 miles to get there and return from my flat - just about perfect for mid week training!

Sunday - Easy 15 @ 139 hr avg, 8:08 per mile.

Followed the same route as the day before - the sea breeze is really nice as you run towards Salthill!

Pacing is not filling me with confidence currently. I am trusting in that I have not ran for a month so it will take a while before my 'easy' pace improves relative to my heart rate.

Summary

I discovered a new route to add to my rotation this week. I did 4 runs of 10 miles or greater which will be a core part of my training. It is a big step up in terms of mileage and time on feet. The more routes I have the more interest I can keep in midweek training.

I am furiously researching information on my pacing for my long runs. John O Regan says he runs his long runs close to race pace for the Connemara Ultra - this is something I will consider when my running economy improves.

Total miles for the week : 46 miles.

Week 3 - 13 weeks until Race Day

Week Beginning 23rd January 2017

Tuesday - Lessons Learned! Hill Repeats - 10 miles @ 137 hr avg, 8:34 per mile. 5 reps.

The plan I follow calls for hill workouts on a Tuesday.

Went out to Hazelwood Hill to try and get some repeats in after work. Things were a bit hectic and it was 10 pm before I made it out there. I got 5 repeats in pitch black done before calling it a night. Not proud of it - but it was dangerous. The hill is on a road joining to the N17, with no lights, and I could easily do myself an injury / get blinded by traffic.

Note to self - never try to do repeats on this hill after dark!

Wednesday - Easy 10 miles @ 133 hr avg, 8:37 per mile.

Wednesdays call for recovery mode so I did just that. Important as wednesday workouts break up hill repeats and tempo run days.

Thursday - Tempo Run - 10 miles @ 144 hr avg, 7:38 per mile.

Kept to the same structure as last week - 2 WU, 2 CD with 6 tempo miles in between.

Ran the miles around 7 : 10 per mile pace tonight. I will improve the structure of these runs now as my running economy has improved. The pacing will be closer to 10k pace going forward.

Saturday - Long Run - 16 miles @ 143 hr avg, 7:45 per mile.

This week calls for a longer Saturday run in my training. I decided to do so at a higher intensity as per my research.

Essentially I did a few miles in the middle at goal Ultra pace and tried to stay close to it (but not faster) throughout.

It felt pretty good - running economy improvements are now very noticeable in only a few short weeks since resuming running.

Sunday - Long Run - 14 miles @ 147 hr avg, 7:33 per mile. 10 miles @ MP.

This was the first weekend I truly experienced the back to back long run training so often mentioned .

I ran at a high intensity but felt solid throughout. I did 2 miles WU, then 10 miles below / around goal pacing (7:30) . 2 miles CD to finish.

Definitely feeling tired afterwards - the warm up was sluggish but absolutely delighted to be able to accomplish my targets.

Summary :

This week I truly embraced the plan I am using. I followed it strictly - getting a workout in on the desired days while also hitting the high end of suggested mileage per day.

Disappointed in the hill repeats workout fiasco on Tuesday but I learned a valuable lesson.

First 60 mile week ever. Cannot wipe the smile off my face :D

Total miles for the week : 60 miles.

Week 4 - 12 Weeks until Race Day

Week beginning 30th January 2017

Tuesday - Hill Repeats - 11 miles @ 139 hr avg, 8:19 per mile. 8 reps comfortably hard up .

Got 8 reps in tonight on Hazelwood. That thing is a monster. I'm using it to also try and gauge my hr max - hit bpm 181 tonight during a max rep. Got out to the hill slightly earlier this week but still it was dark.

I will be planning my work day on Tuesdays to get out early for hill repeats.

Wednesday - Easy 10 mile @ 130 hr avg, 8:30 per mile.

A solid easy 10 miles recovery. New podcasts are keeping me entertained during the longer distance midweek runs.

The easy runs are actually the toughest mental workout each week. Have to stick to a moderate pacing and it's starting to get harder to do so. Need to re affirm the purpose of these runs in my head a lot so that I don't speed up...

Thursday - Tempo Run - 10 miles @ 153 hr avg, 7:17 per mile.

2 WU , 2 CD, with 6 @ 6:50 per mile pacing in the middle.

6:50 felt good. Not too stressful. I will increase the pace next week. It's hard for me to assess pacing for tempo runs with no racing background but I feel I am getting there.

It feels so good to run fast. I am really enjoying and looking forward to Thursday workouts :)

Saturday - Long Run - 14 miles @ 142 hr avg, 7:54 per mile.

Tried to stick to around 75% hr max and then the pacing would be whatever it would be. Ended up being 7:54 per mile which is slower than I would have hoped .

Was conscious of a longer run on the Sunday so didn't push the envelope today.

Sunday - Long Run - 16 miles @ 142 bpm, 7:56 per mile.

Legs were pretty tired to start today. To be expected with 14 ran yesterday. Another solid 2 hours on my feet . Another good end to the week.

Summary

All runs were done this week late in the day - like 8 / 9 pm. This is going to be a norm for my training - and sleep is losing out as a result.

I got in 61 miles this week - and am not feeling anything adverse in my body as a result. I'm very much conscious that the mileage is well beyond anything I've done before- but until I attempt it I do not know if my body can sustain it.

Roll on next week :)

Total miles for week : 61 .

Week 5 - 11 weeks until Race Day

Week beginning 6th February 2017

Monday - Recovery 6 miles @ 128 hr avg, 9:31 per mile.

Decided to try new fast trainers (New Balance Vazee Prism) in a recovery run tonight. It rained - but the trainers felt good. No apparent need to break in, and much lighted than my Guide 9's.

The training plan I'm following has the option of recovery runs on both days off. I have to say I don't think these runs will be part of my plan. I am jumping up in mileage enough as is.

Tuesday - Hill Repeats - 11 miles @ 140 hr avg, 8:38 per mile. 10 repeats .

Got out of work at 4 as planned and got my repeats in today in daylight! Got 10 repeats in as per my training plan - with a reading of 183 bpm on a max repeat.

I basically am turning these into vo2max workouts i think . Either way I find them very challenging, and the 3 mile run home after is amazing!

I managed a rep in 1 minute 13 seconds tonight. I can't help but notice the strava course record of 1:03 ...... someday.

Wednesday - Easy 10 miles @ 133 hr avg, 8:04 per mile.

Legs definitely are feeling stiff and tired today.

Thursday - Tempo Run - 10 miles @ 147 hr avg, 7:12 per mile.

2 WU, 2 CD, with 6 @ 6:40 per mile pace tonight. Pace felt good - peaked around 85% hr max so not taxing my body hugely yet on these.

I am loving Thursday night tempos. :)

Saturday - Long Run - 12 miles @ 143 hr avg, 7:32 per mile.

Went for an intended 75% hr max run again hoping to be close to ultra goal pace.

Glad to say that I was . Day off likely contributed - but I am very happy to see my splits at that intensity start to come near my intended Connemara pacing.

Sunday - Long Run - 18 miles @ 146 hr avg, 7:33 per mile. 10 miles @ MP in middle.

Very tough mid miles - good prep for Connemara!

Winds have been very strong this week and tonight no different.

I maintained my hr in a good aerobic zone while running the MP miles - and all the while after 12 miles yesterday ran at a steady clip.

Summary

This week was a very tough week in terms of weather conditions - but I pushed through and am finding my mental game is very strong. I am reinforcing the positives on every run and staying focused on the long term goals.

Total miles for the week : 67 .

• Advertisement

Week 6 - 10 weeks until Race Day

Week beginning 13th February 2017

Tuesday - Hill Repeats - 12 miles @ 146 hr avg, 8:05 per mile. 12 repeats.

Got out the door in work early as planned and managed 12 repeats today on Hazelwood. Dread them but love them at the same time!

Wednesday - Easy Midnight Run - 10 miles @ 126 hr avg, 8:30 per mile.

Super slow tonight. In recovery mode after the repeats and in anticipation of a scheduled tempo tomorrow.

Late out as usual due to work / poor time management .

Thursday - Tempo - 10 miles @ 154 hr avg, 7:15 per mile. 2 WU w 6@ tempo, 2 CD.

Really struggled to spike my heart rate tonight. Tempo miles were @ 6:50 's for 3, and then dropped to under 6:30. Didn't have it in my legs.

Saturday - Morning Run - 10 miles @ 142 hr avg, 7:38 per mile.

6 am run. Scheduled to go home to Clare so made sure to get this in early. Nearly scared the life out of a cyclist by turning around mid pavement!

Sunday - 20 Long- 20 miles @ 141 hr avg, 7:32 per mile.

Felt great during run.

My first nutrition test and 1st run with a newly purchased Inov 8 hydration pack, 500 ml water and 500ml lucozade sport, 2 gels and hi5 bar. Gels were good, bar hard to stomach. Sport 5 minutes before running helped.

Summary

Had a tough week. Running schedule is becoming more consistent but the fatigue in my body is starting to show between runs.

Total Miles for week : 62 .

Week 7 - 9 weeks until race day

Week beginning 20th february 2017

Tuesday - Hill Repeats with cap blown away - type weather - 13.5 miles @ 147 hr avg, 7:57 per mile. 16 repeats.

Crazy weather - non stop rain and really strong wind. At one point my peak cap blew off and nearly hit a car on the start of a repeat!

Managed 16 reps up on Hazelwood - 4.45pm was long enough to start before dark. Legs felt great after rolling last night. I got the 2nd best time overall up the 300m hill.

My newly purchased water resistant jacket did OK - need to find out how to hide the hood.

Hit 99% hr max - might be higher than I thought!

Wednesday - Easy - 10 miles @ 131 hr avg, 8:30 per mile.

Windy!!

Thursday - Tempo - 12 miles @ 150 hr avg, 7:04 per mile.2 WU, 8 Tempo, 2 CD.

Good weather tonight. Shoes felt good.

Saturday - 12 ( 8 MP) - 12 miles @ 148 hr avg, 7:22 per mile.2WU - 8 @ 7:00 - 7:25 - 2 CD.

Calm but Wind on way out. Felt comfortable at 80% hr max - could have done a lot more miles.

Sunday - You haven't done a long run until you get smashed with hailstones !! - 24.5 miles @ 141 hr avg, 7:38 per mile.

Tough run. Big hail shower and strong headwind for first 6 miles. I had to run backwards at one point the hail was so severe!!

Second nutrition trial during a long run. Recovered from the tough start, but sugar was not sitting well in stomach - didn't want to take any food in after mile 18. Pacing and energy suffered. Jaffa cakes - 2 max. Did not feel good. Try alternatives - whole food if possible .

Summary -

The week as a whole contained solid quality workouts. Sunday in particular was a true mental test - the conditions were brutal and I felt afterwards that if I can survive nights like that Connemara is very much achievable.

Total miles for the week : 71.

Week 8 - 8 weeks until race day

Week Beginning 27th February 2017

Tuesday - Hill Repeats 16 x 300metres - Course Record !! 14 miles @ 150 hr avg, 7:42 per mile. 16 repeats.

Felt good . Legs were recovered from 24 miles Sunday. Stretching helped this greatly. Felt like I could run all evening!

Hit a CR on Hazelwood hill of 1 minute flat. Absolutely chuffed that I did it. The segments are hard to ignore on strava - I shall call it 'hill of the damned' for now :p

Wednesday - Easy 'I don't want to run tonight' Run - 10 miles @ 130 hr avg, 8:44 per mile.

Very windy. Legs felt OK . Tough to get out the door!

Thursday - Tempo Mid - Moxegen! - 12 miles @ 153 hr avg, 6:55 per mile. 2 WU , 8 tempo, 2 CD.

Moxegen is a one day festival on at the back of my apartment campus once a year. Absolute madness!

Wind was low tonight. Miles felt good. Last tempo mile was close to lactate but still felt strong ( 6:06 mile). Could have continued the tempo.

Saturday - 12 (8 MP) - love the coast road breeze !! - 12 miles @ 145 hr avg, 7:14 per mile. 2 WU, 8 @ 7 - 7:20 per mile, 2 CD.

Felt amazing doing the miles today. Easy MP out to renville. The runners make such a difference in my stride.

Felt niggle in right calf from mile 4 , will ice and re assess for tomorrow .

Sunday - What is that big yellow hot thing in the sky? - 26.2 miles @ 143 hr avg, 7:36 per mile.

Ran easy for first 10 miles and then spent the rest of the training marathon faster than expected race pace for Conn.

Don't think it was particularly wise to do so - but overall felt really good. Heart rate was mid 80s for last 10 miles - I think this was the heat.

The gels sat well, and the snickers bar is a winner on mile 18. Will use for the ultra.

Summary -

Very solid week of training. I am delighted to be able to sustain this type of mileage considering my background. Still relishing the runs - in particular tempo runs on Thursday nights.

Did my 'second' marathon ever in a training run - it's amazing the difference in perspective doing the distance in training is versus a race!!

Total miles for the week : 74.2 .

Week 9 - 7 Weeks until Race Day

Week Beginning 6th March 2017

Tuesday - (Reluctant) Hill Repeats - 12 miles @ 143 hr avg, 7:59 per mile.12 repeats.

Weather sucked tonight. Constant rain , and legs have been stiff since Sunday.

Managed to muster up the willpower to get out the door , and ended up doing 12 x 300 metres on Hazelwood. Heartburn throughout so called it after 12.

Overall happy that my legs feel good afterwards, not feeling any pains during run.

Great Connemara prep :eek:

Thursday - AM - Easy 10 with the Galway sunrise - 10 miles @ 129 hr avg, 8:00 per mile.

Lovely morning, legs were so tired as I skipped yesterday's easy run and not used to 6am starts.

Got up ate banana and drank water an hour before waking for run. Seemed to do the trick as I felt good throughout.

Thursday - PM - Tempo Thursday - 12 miles @ 152 hr avg, 6:43 per mile. 2 WU , 8@Tempo , 2 CD.

Second run of the day. Legs felt good despite putting in miles before work.

Peaked a little early in the tempo section and didn't have the energy to drive home like normal. Likely due to tiredness and early morning run. Still got an estimate 10k pb during and had back to back single digit 6 minute miles.

Saturday - Heat, glorious heat! - 28 miles @ 143 hr avg, 7:28 per mile.

Amazing day to be running. Right ankle is iffy, I could feel it but maintain 7:30 at a moderate heart rate in the sun. Ankle niggle actually subsided for last miles and felt strong finishing a 28 miler!!

Breakfast - usual porridge seeds and fruit. Hour and half before - water and apple.

Had some dried dates as fuel and 3 gels. Dates were good. Usual sport and water and felt great. Just wish I had more water today.

Ran in the shoes I normally do tempo runs in and they were fine. Will probably retire them from training and use in Connemara.

Sunday - 12 miles on tired legs. - 12 miles @ 141 hr avg, 7:21 per mile.

My right Achilles (unsure what it's called) has been acting up since Thursday. I ran on it today again- didn't think I could. The pain subsided after a mile and finished strong.

I am very cautious of it potentially being a problem. No doubt my stubbornness will result in me continuing to run though...

Overall another 70 plus mile week - and I feel great . Got some strides in at the end too.

Summary -

A tough week. Tuesday my stomach was in bits, I skipped Wednesday and then altered the schedule by doing the Wednesday easy on Thursday morning.

I then had a long run on the Saturday as opposed to the normal Sunday schedule. Achilles niggle persisted throughout and is a worry.

Total miles for the week : 74.

Week 10 - 6 Weeks until race day

Week beginning 13th March 2017

Tuesday - Hill Repeats - 13.5 miles @ 140 hr avg, 8:00 per mile. 16 repeats.

Weather was great. My body was not. Stomach troubles and again heartburn (I think it's the large quantities of pumpkin / sesame seeds I'm eating) but pushed 16 x 300 m today.

Tried a pair of ininji toe socks - they are ok. I felt a hot spot so undecided .

The rest of the week is easy compared to these hill repeats.....

Wednesday - Easy miles - 10 miles @ 127 hr avg, 8:06 per mile.

First run in the fastwitch. Was like running in a different style - calves really felt it.

The shoes were solid - 1 moment with a hot spot. Did strides after and could feel a quick turnover from them.

Thursday - Painful Tempo - 12.5 miles @ 145 hr avg, 7:01 per mile. 2 WU, 8@ Tempo, 2 CD.

Grueling 12 miles tonight. Right calf was still sore from running in fastwitch last night. Not fully rested (3 hours sleep) and a combination of aches meant I was really sluggish.

Buuutttt....the lows just make the highs higher :D

Saturday - SKIP

Sunday - 30 - 30 miles @ 143 hr avg, 7:35 per mile.

Took a day off yesterday . That was the hardest thing I've had to do in training. I could not see the benefit from running versus resting .

Felt I needed it - energy levels have been low all week outside of running. Got tons of sleep last few days and iced my right leg / stretched / foam rolled.

Went out with 4 gels, dates, and trail mix today. Said to myself I would do 15 and evaluate how I felt . Kept going and knocked out a marathon ( at which point my legs lost a lot of drive and time dropped ) then continued to slug out the 30.

Very proud of the fact I've just done marathon distance or more in a single run in 3 consecutive weeks.

Now to rest ...

Summary -

A very tough testing week for me. Stress coming from stuff outside of running meant I struggled with sleep in particular.

I made the call to skip Saturdays run as I was worried my right ankle niggle was getting to a point where I may not be able to run on it. The day off made a huge difference.

Total miles for the week : 66.

• Advertisement

Week 11 - 5 weeks until Race Day

Week beginning 20th March 2017

Tuesday - Hill Reps before dark - finally!! - 14 miles @ 143 hr avg, 7:47 per mile. 16 repeats.

First time since training started in Jan that I got home from hill repeats and it wasn't pitch dark!

Felt really good as the run went on. The hill reps were not as tough as normal and I coasted home almost floating at times.

The best mile of the week is right after finishing the hills reps. Great start to the week.

My right calf is ok. Still feel the strain I had after clonakilty, and right ankle is not strong. Overall much better than last week though.

Wednesday - Easy 10 - 10 miles @ 126 hr avg, 8:15 per mile.

Took 6 miles to loosen up tonight. Getting miles in despite a long day in work.

Thursday - Biscuit and caffeine fuelled midnight Tempo - 12.5 miles @ 148 hr avg, 6:59 per mile. 2 wU , 8 @ Tempo, 2 CD.

Had a crazy day in work and had to decide on skipping my run or doing it at midnight. Got out there and felt pretty good clocking 6 : 30 miles.

Had poor nutrition pre workout due to a client software release and having only instant coffee and a packet of rich tea in the office.

Saturday - Hot Sun - Fast Miles - 14 miles @ 157 hr avg, 7:06 per mile. 2 WU, 10 @ MP, 2 CD.

Weather was 16 ° or higher today. Tried to do 14 - 10 mp and ended up going faster than that.

Brought a handheld (just water) and it just about lasted for the run. It didn't feel too bad in my hand but I would not be thrilled about racing with one.

Overall - 8 hours rest and felt good. Bring on the long run tomorrow.

Sunday - 80 mile week - 29 mile @ 144 hr avg, 7:30 per mile.

Amazing day for a long run. Went out with no lucozade today - 1litre water and a salt tablet - usual 3 gels and dates for fuel.

Felt strong throughout - a month out from Connemara and I'm really looking forward to it now.

No niggle in calf today. Slight pain in ankle / Achilles tendon area on right foot which has been there for a few weeks. Time to stretch and ice !

Summary -

My first 80 mile week. The mental barriers associated with long work days are now not an issue. I relish the challenge of getting runs in when needed.

Total miles for the week : 80.

Week 12 - 4 Weeks until Race Day

Week beginning 27th March 2017

Tuesday - Hill Repeats - 20 x 300m - 15 miles @ 142 hr avg, 7:55 per mile. 20 repeats.

Found it really tough to get out the door tonight. Had the day off work - likely because the evenings are brighter I procrastinated more! Easy to get going when you have to or it will be pitch black....

Energy was low leaving - I need to fuel better in the hour before runs. It's very obvious in the slow starts.

This was the last scheduled hill repeats session on my training plan for Connemara. Decided to go moderate and in the end did a few extra reps for 20 times up Hazelwood.

Heart rate was high for a lot of the reps, I did not have heart burn today like the last few weeks. I think it has to be the chewing gum I have in work. I've stopped chewing and noticed my stomach is much better off for it.

Noticed my right ankle had swelling yesterday - did not feel it today except on some sharp turns . Hasn't swelled after run so I will not be taking a rest because of it.

Wednesday - Easy run turned impromptu swimming lesson! - 10 miles @ 136 hr avg, 7:46 per mile.

Interesting weather today.

Rain so heavy at one point the road and pavement had the same level of water.

Absolutely loved it , was disappointed when it stopped . Don't know what that says about me but I think it's a good reaction to bad weather!

Friday - Hard Tempo - PB kinda day! - 12 miles @ 157 hr avg, 6:37 per mile. 2 WU, 8 @ Tempo, 2 CD.

Switched this tempo for today instead of yesterday. Will make the weekend workouts interesting!

Once again being off work seemed to make it harder to get out door for run. Went 3 hours after eating again.

Went out with intention of pushing the 8 tempo miles today as I took yesterday off and am quite well rested.

The weather was all over the place but I managed to push to 90% hr max for 3 miles to finish tempo. It felt good - no lactate or feeling of serious fatigue during. 6:10 per mile average and stronger finishing that starting (6:06, 6:07 miles)

Last long tempo before connemara :(

Saturday - 10 @ MP - 10 miles @ 142 hr avg, 7:11 per mile.

Nice steady miles, bit of wind but kept hr at roughly 75. Feeling good!

Sunday - Had an argument with myself ... I won. 31 miles @ 143 hr avg, 7:24 per mile.

3rd day running in a row and last major workout before taper.

Got to mile 10 today and I was already thinking about the fact there was 20 miles to go. Not a good thing!

Re focused on what I was doing and took it step by step - setting little milestones. Bit of wind tonight also.

Legs definitely felt fatigued - but as the miles ticked away I stepped it up a bit and made a goal to average 7.30 or less for the 30 miles.

End up finishing strong and even did an extra mile because I'm a bit mad in the head. I feel like how I felt after clonakilty Marathon :eek::rolleyes:

Summary -

Stresses outside running were reduced this week as I had it off work. I spent most my time researching nutrition and how to adopt a vegetarian diet slowly in line with exercise.

Total miles for week : 78.5.

Week 13 - 3 Weeks until Race Day - Taper Begins - Taper Week 1

Week beginning 3rd April 2017

Tuesday - Hilly Run - 10 miles @ 148 hr avg, 7:20 per mile.

Went out and did some miles in a hilly field nearby, then onto the tarmac for a few low gradient repeats.

Fun run - glad to have Hazelwood hill behind me on Tuesdays!

Wednesday - Easy 10 - 10 miles @ 136 hr avg, 7:46 per mile.

Nice and easy 10 miles today. Felt good, light and quick.

Friday - Tempo Friday - 10 miles @ 153 hr avg, 6:45 per mile.2 WU, 6 @ Tempo, 2 CD.

Had to push tempo run back a day. Yet another experiment to see how my legs do with the 26 miles tomorrow post tempo!

Saturday - 6 weeks - 6 marathons - 26.5 miles @ 145 hr avg, 7:06 per mile.

Ran 26 tonight at 75 - 82% hr max. 3 gels and dates.

Tried my new Nathan belt, really struggled with it for 3 miles and finally got it to fit snug.

Looks like the lack of weight from the vest I normally use showed in my time which I say because my intensity was similar to most long runs.

Finished up strong - last hard workout before connemara. Vitamix smoothie to celebrate :)

Sunday - Legs are .... - 12 miles @ 136 hr avg, 7:24 per mile.

Legs felt quite fatigued today. Starting to understand why this training plan has long runs on Saturdays some weekends. It is quite tough to get the run in Sundays.

Kept my form throughout and pacing was actually quite good.

Summary -

Glad to be on the final stretch now. The cycle has been long and at times tough. I am more and more excited for the race as the days tick over.

Another week where i pushed the tempo to the friday - I'm starting to think this unintentional switch of days could benefit me during the ultra!

Total Miles for week : 68.5.

Week 14 - 2 weeks until race day - Taper week 2

Week Beginning 10th april 2017

Tuesday - The tough 10, 8 x 100 strides to finish. 10 miles @ 134 hr avg, 7:54 per mile. 8 x 100 strides after.

My stomach did not feel good today leaving work. Had a smoothie with pumpkin seeds blended - seriously starting to think I may have an allergy of some sorts.

Got the 10 miles in and that in itself is something I'm proud of !

Wednesday - Loosening my legs out, 6 x 100 strides to finish - 10 miles @ 138 hr avg, 7:34 per mile.

Another 10 tonight. Started with heavy legs and by the end got very efficient. Felt great.

Thursday - Strong headwind tempo! 10 miles @ 154 hr avg, 6:40 per mile.2 WU, 6 @ Tempo, 2 CD.

Went out for what will be the last tempo before race.

Strong headwind going out to salthill today. My running was strong through it - hit a 6:30 mile at the worst point.

City is buzzing - buses back in service and food festival in full swing!

Saturday - Race Day Dry Run - 16 miles @ 146 hr avg, 7:10 per mile.

Ran today in the gear I'll be wearing next week. Vazee prism runners - CGA under armour and Nike hat. Nathan trail belt no bottles.

Took no water but carried gels to replicate weight for next week.

Felt strong the whole way through. I was coasting under 7:30 per mile the whole way with no real drop of energy. Heart rate fluctuated between 75 and 80 - which I think is a great replica of next week's plan.

Bring on connemara

:cool:

Sunday - 8 with 8x100 strides after - 8 miles @ 142 hr avg, 7:12 per mile.

Nice and steady 8 miles tonight. Legs feel good.

Summary -

My body is feeling good with a week to go. Maintaining similar intensity to whole trianing cycle with a gradual reduction in mileage.

Total miles for the week : 54.

Week 15 - Race Week! Final Taper Week & Race Recap

Week beginning 17th april 2017

Tuesday - 10 with a vest :) 8 x 100 strides after - 10 miles @ 142 hr avg, 7:21 per mile.

Ran with my vest and no bottles today.

I'm set on the belt. It allows my shoulders to do their thing and not be restricted. (sidenote - i ran the ultra in the vest and not the belt :D)

Recovery mode now until Sunday...

Wednesday - 6 miles to clear my head - 6 miles @ 124 hr avg, 8:28 per mile.

My mood today was not good. I think it effected those around me. Not quite sure why i was easily agitated today - need to remember that life is good! feeling much better after being outside.

Thursday - Deciding on next tattoo, 6 x 100 strides - 6 miles @ 124 hr avg, 8:31 per mile.

Spent these recovery miles constructing a tattoo idea revolving around a toad smoking a cigar in my head.

Think I've got it :p

Saturday - Shake out - 3 miles @ 131 hr avg, 8:35 per mile.

Went out for an easy 3 as I'm a bit anxious and wanted to rev up the engine for game day.

Legs feel rested although not as confident in hitting race pace out the gate ....

**Sunday - Connemara Ultra

3rd Place - 39.3 miles @ 153 hr avg, 7:01 per mile. Finish time : 4:37:12.

What to say....

Was half asleep all night prior. At the start line I got off slow ( no official start line)...so had no real idea who was in front of me all race.

At mile 6 a cyclist told me I missed a turn (I hadn't)....

My pacing through was based on feel. I wanted to have a guts race and find out what I had got in me. Was prepared to accept dropping out at long as I gave it my all.

First 13 were smooth miles - used a police escort to my advantage through the marathon runners ( had to go to 6.10 per mile pace to keep up!)and kept pacing through to Lennane.

Used the same tactic at the half start and asked a policeman to open a gap. Once the major hills came I felt strong and gradually passed some ultras.

Was a real slog to the finish but am extremely happy with how my race went. I had confidence in my training that I could put in a strong effort. No guts no glory :D

More detail on my race:

• Race Day Recap :
    http://irishrunningjourney.blogspot.ie/2017/04/connemara-ultra-marathon-2017-race-day.html
    • Training Cycle review :
    http://irishrunningjourney.blogspot.ie/2017/05/working-9-to-5-running-5-to-9-connemara.html

So that's everything logged all. It took a bit longer than expected to gather together the Strava logs and thoughts i had jotted after the runs but I can see the value in putting them here together.

I hope this information is useful for anyone planning to run the Ultra in the coming years. I certainly loved the experience and the training - might just be there again next year ;)

If anyone sees this and has questions reply away and I will try to answer as best I can.

Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jimcricket

Well done pgarr . Great race report and a great log. I will def pick up some good training tips for my own training for the Frankfurt marathon. Thanks again

jimcricket wrote: »
    Well done pgarr . Great race report and a great log. I will def pick up some good training tips for my own training for the Frankfurt marathon. Thanks again

Best of luck with Frankfurt Jim. Glad to hear there's some useful stuff for you to reference .

Advertisement