Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

LD89 wrote:
    New campaign just announced

Yes, my wait is finally over for a new recruitment campaign, here's the start to lots of tests and prep....

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

Well applied in 2016 got top 200 and then failed just by a few points in job simulation. Was disappointed but going to give it a bash again fingers crossed this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

Starting salary 28000...does that include rent allowance I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

weadick wrote: »
    Starting salary 28000...does that include rent allowance I wonder?

Yes that includes the rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 likeadoctor

Is anyone else having issues with the the PDF application form you have to download? Whenever I download it, I open it and it just reads:

"Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
    viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows?, Mac, or Linux? by
    visiting http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download.

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/go/acrreader. "

I cannot get the form! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Mrnew wrote: »
    Well applied in 2016 got top 200 and then failed just by a few points in job simulation. Was disappointed but going to give it a bash again fingers crossed this time
    Would really recomend doing a prep course i failed in previous campaign at stage 2 and now after doing prep course for 3rd and 2nd stage im waiting on medical from the 2016 campaign, pricey but worth it in the long run to see you over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mr.cool212

Is anyone else having issues with the the PDF application form you have to download? Whenever I download it, I open it and it just reads:

"Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
    viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows?, Mac, or Linux? by
    visiting

I cannot get the form! :(

Download the form. Right click on it and open it on adobe reader. Should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stark_123

Who did you do your prep course with? Would you recommend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 likeadoctor

Mr.cool212 wrote: »
    Download the form. Right click on it and open it on adobe reader. Should work.

Ah. Got it, didn't have Adobe Reader. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

LD89 wrote: »

Would rather **** in my hands and clap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jimmybullard5

it says ive downloaded adobe player but it still wont let me complete the form, any suggestions???

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

Can you apply without the required level of maths and Irish if you have a level 8 degree?

As far as I no you still have to have the requirements in the school grades, over a d3 I think in English, Irish and maths and two other subjects at ordinary leval. This is what I think anyway, but I'm up for correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

vardy98 wrote: »
    As far as I no you still have to have the requirements in the school grades, over a d3 I think in English, Irish and maths and two other subjects at ordinary leval. This is what I think anyway, but I'm up for correction.

Yes it looks that alright from reading it...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

Does anyone know if they still do the negative marking on the first assessment?
    Thanks!

Big-Mac wrote: »
    Can you apply without the required level of maths and Irish if you have a level 8 degree?
    I'm on 2016 panel and passed interview 2 weeks ago waiting on a medical date I failed maths I'm not sure about 2017 campaign but 2016 all you needed was 5 passes and 2 languages

• Registered Users Posts: 25 traceyf933

Application is sent in but moving to UK in June. Think this is a bad idea? I know its ok to travel back and forth for stages but I'm wondering will it make things difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

I applied in 2016 and past the first stage but withdrew my application after securing a job in the council. will this affect my application this time round? I now feel like its definitely the career choice for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

deiseman17 wrote: »
    I applied in 2016 and past the first stage but withdrew my application after securing a job in the council. will this affect my application this time round? I now feel like its definitely the career choice for me.

No this shouldn't effect your application in the slightest. There is a part on the interview form asking have you previously applied. Answer truthfully and just have a good answer for why you withdrew your application.

Thanks for that MrBlack93! Is there any indication when there will be an intake of new recruits? Kind of excited now for the process to begin.

• Advertisement

deiseman17 wrote: »
    Thanks for that MrBlack93! Is there any indication when there will be an intake of new recruits? Kind of excited now for the process to begin.

I can't imagine anyone anyone from this new campaign will taken into the college until at least mid to late 2018.

There's still hundreds of us awaiting from the previous campaigns that need to be taken in first.

Ya it seems that the process is very long and understandably annoying. Hopefully it will speed up

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ellawr

Hi guys, just have a question re: the application form. I'm 22 and have only had one job so far, I've worked in McDonald's (I know) for just short of two years now. I lied about two previous employments on my CV when looking for jobs, but I obviously can't do that here.

How bad will this look for me? The employment record also asks that periods of unemployment be accounted for - does this mean "emp number 1" would just be the time between leaving school and acquiring my job in McDonald's? I was in college for two years during this time period before leaving for financial reasons, I'm just confused about how I would fill out a section on how I was unemployed regarding the boxes including post status, name and address of employer etc. Really stuck on this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

Ellawr wrote: »
    Hi guys, just have a question re: the application form. I'm 22 and have only had one job so far, I've worked in McDonald's (I know) for just short of two years now. I lied about two previous employments on my CV when looking for jobs, but I obviously can't do that here.

How bad will this look for me? The employment record also asks that periods of unemployment be accounted for - does this mean "emp number 1" would just be the time between leaving school and acquiring my job in McDonald's? I was in college for two years during this time period before leaving for financial reasons, I'm just confused about how I would fill out a section on how I was unemployed regarding the boxes including post status, name and address of employer etc. Really stuck on this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just put in your employment details for your job in McDonald's in the top box as your most recent job, and like you said, from the date you left school to the date you started in McDonald's you just put unemployed. You're still very young and you were in college so I doubt it is anything to be concerned about. Two years continuous work at 22 is good.

So your form will look like:

Emp number 2 (McDonald's)
    Emp number 1 (unemployed)

Also, as a side note: nothing at all wrong with working in McDonald's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ellawr

Yoop_ wrote: »
    Just put in your employment details for your job in McDonald's in the top box as your most recent job, and like you said, from the date you left school to the date you started in McDonald's you just put unemployed. You're still very young and you were in college so I doubt it is anything to be concerned about. Two years continuous work at 22 is good.

So your form will look like:

Emp number 2 (McDonald's)
    Emp number 1 (unemployed)

Also, as a side note: nothing at all wrong with working in McDonald's :)

Thank you so much for the response! So would I leave post status blank, still write the period in months, and leave blank the name and address of employer sections?

Again, thanks so much for the quick response, that's so reassuring to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

Thank you so much for the response! So would I leave post status blank, still write the period in months, and leave blank the name and address of employer sections?

No problem at all. Yep, have the period in months and then I would put 'unemployed' in the title of post held section and N/A in the employer etc. sections.

Whatever you do don't lie you'll be found out just tell the truth and you'll be grand :) once you pass the first two stages and can prove you have the compencies/skills to be a guard none of that will matter best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nessy182

Lads anyone having trouble downloading the application give a call to the Public Service Appointments office and they will send u a troubleshooting thing. Ive tried it on 2 different laptops & ipad and a phone hasnt worked on any of them. Going to try the email the sent me and see if that works! They said loads of people are calling with the same problem.

Hi guys need a bit of help, their is a part on the application form that asks you to put down all the areas you volunteered in, at the moment I only ever done one thing. I feel silly putting down one thing and feel they won't even look at me. I'm only 18 and had not had the time to do anything because of my leaving cert and a course I have just completed. Will this affect my chances. Any advice very very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Hi guys need a bit of help, their is a part on the application form that asks you to put down all the areas you volunteered in, at the moment I only ever done one thing. I feel silly putting down one thing and feel they won't even look at me. I'm only 18 and had not had the time to do anything because of my leaving cert and a course I have just completed. Will this affect my chances. Any advice very very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This won't affect your chances, don't worry.
    That form wont be looked at until the interview.
    Between now and the interview perhaps get involved in more voluntary & sporting activities that you can talk about if necessary during the interview.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 MJAPM

Hi Tracey,

That should be fine. A couple of girls I know did that, I am actually home from the UK myself because of Brexit but previously helped Thames Valley Police in recruitment and trained officers. Feel free to pick my brains for help and advice :)?

What is bring you over to the UK? Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Craicbud

Got to stage 2 last year but only to fail the job simulation by 10 points :( But for anyone looking to do prep courses for the Garda's I would definitely recommend Career Services, it's a 1 day course on all the stages but mainly stage 1&2 , helped me a lot just got unlucky to fail 😉

I have a tattoo on the back of my neck a pretty small one and pretty much covered when I wear a collared shirt is this ok?

traceyf933 wrote:
    I have a tattoo on the back of my neck a pretty small one and pretty much covered when I wear a collared shirt is this ok?

I believe that the tattoo policy is hands, face and neck are to be free from tattoos and that they must be concealed by the uniform when on duty.

It'll be assessed on a case by case basis I assume but there's a possibility you might have to get it removed

My neck one is covered by a collard shirt so should that be ok?

• Advertisement

traceyf933 wrote:

If it is covered hopefully it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

traceyf933 wrote: »

Yes that's fine once not on view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

How does the irish language assessment work ?

I did both english and irish for my LC years back but never did french or German etc.

Just a little confused regarding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

How does the irish language assessment work ?

I did both english and irish for my LC years back but never did french or German etc.

Just a little confused regarding this.

You mean the language requirements? If you have passed both English and Irish LC exams you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gizmo94

Hi

Dont know if anyone would know but i see last years campaign are still being used as a panel if we are succesful with a low order of merit any ideas on when the first class will be

• Advertisement

Gizmo94 wrote: »
    Hi

Dont know if anyone would know but i see last years campaign are still being used as a panel if we are succesful with a low order of merit any ideas on when the first class will be

Hard to tell, we've already seen that if you've a low oom and your file is complete(vetting etc) then you may be called up to fill a space if there is a lack of complete files from the previous campaign. That being said there are hundreds of people still on the outstanding panels so realistically the majority of those from the newest campaign would speculatively/realistically be looking at mid next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gizmo94

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Hard to tell, we've already seen that if you've a low oom and your file is complete(vetting etc) then you may be called up to fill a space if there is a lack of complete files from the previous campaign. That being said there are hundreds of people still on the outstanding panels so realistically the majority of those from the newest campaign would speculatively/realistically be looking at mid next year.

So realistically earliest be this nov class but more than likely 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Marksy8429

Gizmo94 wrote: »
    So realistically earliest be this nov class but more than likely 2018

I wouldn't even imagine this new campaign will make November as the different stages take about 6 moths just to progress more than likely February for those in that campaign.

Won't be this year prob be late 2018 I'm from 2016 campaign waiting on a medical date and still don't think il make November I'm prob looking for February or May 2018 pending I pass these final steps that's a big pending haha

Hi guys need help I can't download the PDF application form when I go to do it all it says is that I have to download Adobe acorn reader or somthing like that, my computer is a Toshiba windows vista's laptop and their is no option for this one in the list when I go to download the software, I'm not great at computers and downloading and all that so if anyone can help me I would be very greatful. Thanks in advance.

Hi guys need help I can't download the PDF application form when I go to do it all it says is that I have to download Adobe acorn reader or somthing like that, my computer is a Toshiba windows vista's laptop and their is no option for this one in the list when I go to download the software, I'm not great at computers and downloading and all that so if anyone can help me I would be very greatful. Thanks in advance.

Just google it and you'll find to download from the Adobe website.

Oruam wrote:
    Just google it and you'll find to download from the Adobe website.

Thanks very much I found it, is the PDF form a called a interview for now. And I'm just wondering what do I put in for candidate I'd.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Thanks very much I found it, is the PDF form a called a interview for now. And I'm just wondering what do I put in for candidate I'd.?

When you sign up on the public jobs website you get a candidate ID.

Mokuba wrote: »
    When you sign up on the public jobs website you get a candidate ID.

There are two ID numbers: the one you see on the 'Available appointment' page (the Reference ID), and the one you read on the online application form (step 2).

I think you should put the latter, because it's clearly called "Candidate ID number".

Mokuba, can you confirm it?

Oruam wrote:
    I think you should put the latter, because it's clearly called "Candidate ID number".

Oruam wrote:
    There are two ID numbers: the one you see on the 'Available appointment' page (the Reference ID), and the one you read on the online application form (step 2).

OK thanks for you help I think your right about the id number from the application form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement