Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Oruam wrote: »
    Just google it and you'll find to download from the Adobe website.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Google the Garda trainee '17 pdf application?

Or
    Google Adobe reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

D Trent wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by this?

Google the Garda trainee '17 pdf application?

Or
    Google Adobe reader?

Adobe

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

Hi guys, any idea when we will have to do the first aptitude test?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

deiseman17 wrote:
    Hi guys, any idea when we will have to do the first aptitude test?

Stage one part A will start the 8th that's this Thursday and you will have till the 14th of June to complete this test which will comprise of an assessment questionnaire and a basic job simulation test, that's the easy part. Part B, the aptitude tests starts on the 21st of June and you will have till the 27th to complete them. I think there's two aptitude tests to complete but I'm up for correction, I personally am nervous about them all ready.

Okay thanks for that information Vardy98. what does part b of the test comprise of then? Yes i am getting kind of nervous for it also but i think if we practice a few of them we should be fine. Stage 1 is usually easy touch wood!

deiseman17 wrote:
    Okay thanks for that information Vardy98. what does part b of the test comprise of then? Yes i am getting kind of nervous for it also but i think if we practice a few of them we should be fine. Stage 1 is usually easy touch wood!

No problem at all, As far as I am aware part B comprises of two aptitude tests, abstract reasoning which is shapes and sequences (discovering rules) and the other test is a verbal reasoning test which is paragraphs which have questions to answer on them, sounds easy but I'd say under a time limit it will be tricky enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Craicbud

Trust me stage 1 isn't that bad, don't worry if you don't get all the questions answered in the time given as some of the excercises are designed for that!

Craicbud wrote: »
    Trust me stage 1 isn't that bad, don't worry if you don't get all the questions answered in the time given as some of the excercises are designed for that!

Have you already tried the competition before, Craicbud?
    Do you know how long does it take us to be notified that we've either passed or failed stage 1?

Have you already tried the competition before, Craicbud?
    Do you know how long does it take us to be notified that we've either passed or failed stage 1?

Yes I applied last year and got to stage 2 but unfortunately didn't make it any further. The assessment centre this year starts late July early August so you should be notified in mid July if you passed or failed.

• Advertisement

i think there is 42 questions in the verbal and have 12 minutes to complete them. That equates to 3.5 a minute which is tricky when looking through for the answers that may or not be there under pressure as well. I think that the accuracy of what you get correct is more important than guessing most of them to complete them all.

Yes I applied last year and got to stage 2 but unfortunately didn't make it any further. The assessment centre this year starts late July early August so you should be notified in mid July if you passed or failed.

Thanks. Just to ask, have you found perhaps some good free abstract reasoning tests online to practise a little? I've done some, but they're not many and I think that they were deliberately made to make people think that they need a preparation course.

Thanks. Just to ask, have you found perhaps some good free abstract reasoning tests online to practise a little? I've done some, but they're not many and I think that they were deliberately made to make people think that they need a preparation course.

Unfortunately there are no good tests online that you can practice that I know of but the Career Services course I did last year was brilliant, got plenty of notes and was talked through it very well, I cannot speak highly enough of them

Unfortunately there are no good tests online that you can practice that I know of but the Career Services course I did last year was brilliant, got plenty of notes and was talked through it very well, I cannot speak highly enough of them

I imagine. I'd attend it, if only I lived in Ireland.
    Anyway, in case I don't make it through stage 1, I hope there will be another recruitment campaign the next year and that I have the time to do the career services course. But first, let's hope to pass this one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Oruam wrote:
    I imagine. I'd attend it, if only I lived in Ireland. Anyway, in case I don't make it through stage 1, I hope there will be another recruitment campaign the next year and that I have the time to do the career services course. But first, let's hope to pass this one

Career services offer an online course which has all the important material you need

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Hi just looking for clarification. Is part a (8-14 june) the assessment questionnaire and part b (21-27 june) the verbal and numerical aptitude tests?

• Advertisement

Hi just looking for clarification. Is part a (8-14 june) the assessment questionnaire and part b (21-27 june) the verbal and numerical aptitude tests?

Yes that's 100% correct.

anyone do the practice material and what did ye make of it?

deiseman17 wrote: »
    anyone do the practice material and what did ye make of it?

I've just done the verbal reasoning practice, but I don't know whether to click review all or continue session

go to continue session and you can review the answers on what you got correct and incorrect then

go to continue session and you can review the answers on what you got correct and incorrect then

then what is the difference?

• Advertisement

it will just come up that you got whatever out of 30 correct

it will just come up that you got whatever out of 30 correct

Ok, thanks. Anyway, I got 18 out of 30 correct, 10 incorrect, 2 left blank. Score Summary: 60.0 -- Percentile: 69

Cannot tell if it's good

I got 16 out of 30 correct so i need to practice a good bit more. 18 out of 30 is solid enough and would definitely be a pass mark in the real thing.

I got 16 out of 30 correct so i need to practice a good bit more. 18 out of 30 is solid enough and would definitely be a pass mark in the real thing.

That would be great, but in the real test we'll have 2 minutes less. Gotta practise more too.

I completed it with like 6 minutes remaining, that would be 4 remaining in the real thing so just have to relax a bit. I don't think time will be a factor. have to tried the inductive reasoning?

I completed it with like 6 minutes remaining, that would be 4 remaining in the real thing so just have to relax a bit. I don't think time will be a factor. have to tried the inductive reasoning?

yeah, but English is not my native language, so it takes me a bit longer to read well the texts :D

I'll try it this afternoon

Best of luck they are tricky enough :D

Best of luck they are tricky enough :D

Thanks!
    Do you think that completing the test with some time left gives a higher score?

Thanks!
    Do you think that completing the test with some time left gives a higher score?

no

No time isn't a factor its more the accuracy of your answers give you the higher score. obviously its great to get them all done but, no point rushing and getting lots wrong.

• Advertisement

How many questions are on each of the aptitude tests in the real thing, is it the same as the practice ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ammx

Where are the practice ones? probably a silly question just can't seem to find them.

Guys, read the pre-test booklet carefully. It's all in there.

There's also the link to the practice tests

have to tried the inductive reasoning?

Just done it. Score Summary: 61.1 -- Percentile: 71.
    But again I used the whole time, while the real test will be shorter, in comparison.

Does any one have any idea what exactly would a pass grade be on the aptitude tests I've been practicing the verbal reasoning and the logical reasoning aptitude tests but I would like to no what exactly would a pass mark/ grade be. If anyone has any idea I would really appreciate it.

Hey Guys are any of you after completing stage 1(A) and how did ye get on?

vardy98 wrote:
    Does any one have any idea what exactly would a pass grade be on the aptitude tests I've been practicing the verbal reasoning and the logical reasoning aptitude tests but I would like to no what exactly would a pass mark/ grade be. If anyone has any idea I would really appreciate it.

I could be wrong but I believe for our campaign the tests were scored out of 800 points with 400 being a passing score, so 50%

MrBlack93 wrote:
    I could be wrong but I believe for our campaign the tests were scored out of 800 points with 400 being a passing score, so 50%

OK thanks Mr black so is that 800 points for the verbal reasoning and you have to get 400 or over to pass, and the same for the discovering logical rules test or is it the two tests added together.

vardy98 wrote: »
    OK thanks Mr black so is that 800 points for the verbal reasoning and you have to get 400 or over to pass, and the same for the discovering logical rules test or is it the two tests added together.

800 each individually, you have to pass both tests.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any idea which aptitude test sort were getting,I no we will have the verbal reasoning with the paragraphs and questions and then the second one which is the shapes and you have to pick the next in the sequence, but in the family ration material it says that you have to pick the odd one out, is this a mistake or what I don't have any issue with this really I just want this clarified for my practice purposes thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ALTHEPAL

Does anyone have any idea which aptitude test sort were getting,I no we will have the verbal reasoning with the paragraphs and questions and then the second one which is the shapes and you have to pick the next in the sequence, but in the family ration material it says that you have to pick the odd one out, is this a mistake or what I don't have any issue with this really I just want this clarified for my practice purposes thanks in advance.

In the last couple of campaigns they have used what is called Discovering rules, it is basically looking for the odd one out ! In other words not the same as the others ! All boxes might have solid lines and the odd one out could have broken lines etc !

Thank you that's what I was thinking, I couldn't remember the name.

Thank you that's what I was thinking, I couldn't remember the name.

No worries good luck

Then why doesn't the practice material work like this? In the practice test you have to pick the one which completes the sequence, not the odd one

Then why doesn't the practice material work like this? In the practice test you have to pick the one which completes the sequence, not the odd one

I was going off this post lads and the previous campaigns ! So it's a matter of reading the information booklet, that will tell you everything you need to know

• Advertisement

ALTHEPAL wrote: »

I was going off this post lads and the previous campaigns ! So it's a matter of reading the information booklet, that will tell you everything you need to know

I've read the booklet carefully, and that's the reason why I ask this. There, it's written that we have to click on the object, out of a row of objects, that doesn’t fit the rule of the other objects. One of the given objects is wrong and we must identify it.

Yet, although they say that the practice tests are similar in structure and format to the real tests and differ only for the number of the questions, the practice test, actually, is about discovering the only figure that fits the rule(s)!

That's the contradiction I don't understand.

Anyone any advice or tips for the aptitude test verbal reasoning I'm struggling with that. Thanks.

I've read the booklet carefully, and that's the reason why I ask this. There, it's written that we have to click on the object, out of a row of objects, that doesn’t fit the rule of the other objects. One of the given objects is wrong and we must identify it.

Yet, although they say that the practice tests are similar in structure and format to the real tests and differ only for the number of the questions, the practice test, actually, is about discovering the only figure that fits the rule(s)!

That's the contradiction I don't understand.

It's all about the image or box that doesn't fit the pattern or sequence, so that is discovering rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Marksy8429

Anyone any advice or tips for the aptitude test verbal reasoning I'm struggling with that. Thanks.

Verbal reasoning measures your ability to understand written passages and the logical evaluation of arguments, it measures the verbal aspect of analytical ability. So basically you need to read the passage and only answer on information from the passage not on what you "think" may or may be the answer. Scanning the passage and looking for key words is the easiest way. Its a hard one to explain.

ALTHEPAL wrote: »
    It's all about the image or box that doesn't fit the pattern or sequence, so that is discovering rules.

Ok, but what I'm saying is that in this campaign practice test we don't have Discovering rules questions, there are only Inductive logical reasoning questions instead.

I wouldn't find it strange at all - I guess tests might have been changed this year - but since the test is described in the booklet as a Discovering rules one while it isn't, I think that there's an inconsistency, don't you?

So I don't know what is wrong, the description in the booklet or the practice test.
    It would be nice to know before the real thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement