Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ALTHEPAL

Oruam wrote: »
    Ok, but what I'm saying is that in this campaign practice test we don't have Discovering rules questions, there are only Inductive logical reasoning questions instead.

I wouldn't find it strange at all - I guess tests might have been changed this year - but since the test is described in the booklet as a Discovering rules one while it isn't, I think that there's an inconsistency, don't you?

So I don't know what is wrong, the description in the booklet or the practice test.
    It would be nice to know before the real thing

It's the same thing with a different name !
    When you read the information booklet it says it as below:

2. Inductive Logical Reasoning test
    This test measures your ability to discover logical rules. In the actual you will have 25 minutes to complete 24 questions. To help you manage your time, a timer is displayed on the screen. Once the allocated test time has elapsed, the test will close regardless of the number of questions completed.

Your task is to click on the object, out of a row of objects, that doesn’t fit the rule of the other objects. Each row consists of nine objects, of which exactly one is wrong and which you must identify.

Hope this helps you

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

ALTHEPAL wrote: »
    It's the same thing with a different name !
    When you read the information booklet it says it as below:

2. Inductive Logical Reasoning test
    This test measures your ability to discover logical rules. In the actual you will have 25 minutes to complete 24 questions. To help you manage your time, a timer is displayed on the screen. Once the allocated test time has elapsed, the test will close regardless of the number of questions completed.

Your task is to click on the object, out of a row of objects, that doesn’t fit the rule of the other objects. Each row consists of nine objects, of which exactly one is wrong and which you must identify.

Hope this helps you

I appreciate your helpfulness, mate, but I think we don't understand each other :rolleyes:

Discovering rules and Inductive reasoning are two different things: the first one is what you're saying, i.e. identify the object that is wrong (the odd-one).

Inductive is what I find in the familiarisation material (the practice test) = identifying the object that fits the rule or rules. To have an example, see the image attached (not from the practice test)

The problem comes from the contradiction between the description that you quoted from the booklet and what actually you have to do in the practice test.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ALTHEPAL

I appreciate your helpfulness, mate, but I think we don't understand each other :rolleyes:

Discovering rules and Inductive reasoning are two different things: the first one is what you're saying, i.e. identify the object that is wrong (the odd-one).

Inductive is what I find in the familiarisation material (the practice test) = identifying the object that fits the rule or rules. To have an example, see the image attached (not from the practice test)

Ok I get you now my bad, Yeah I see what you are saying now as they are contradicting themselves! Sorry I'm from Sept campaign !
    There saying find the odd one out, but giving you next in sequence questions !

ALTHEPAL wrote: »

Ok I get you now my bad, Yeah I see what you are saying now as they are contradicting themselves! Sorry I'm from Sept campaign !
    There saying find the odd one out, but giving you next in sequence questions !

Exactly! I suppose they've used the same words of the previous campaigns booklets, but they've changed the test type. Also because in the information we've been given about the competition they talk about Inductive, not Discovering.

It's probably a mistake, but it's weird, because they sent us the booklet twice, saying that the familiarisation material has been updated (haven't noticed anything different from before, though)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Oruam wrote:
    It's probably a mistake, but it's weird, because they sent us the booklet twice, saying that the familiarisation material has been updated (haven't noticed anything different from before, though)

Ya thats what I was thinking since they sent a new booklet that was suppose to be an updated version but the tests names and descriptions in both was the same, so that's weird. All we can do is practice both types so we will be ready for what ever is ahead.

vardy98 wrote: »
    Ya thats what I was thinking since they sent a new booklet that was suppose to be an updated version but the tests names and descriptions in both was the same, so that's weird. All we can do is practice both types so we will be ready for what ever is ahead.

Or maybe write to gardatrainee2017@publicjobs.ie and ask them. I think I'll do it

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

I got in contact with a woman in career services as they do the courses for Garda aptitude tests and she explained that the familiarisation material we got is just a general one that is used my doctors etc its very broad. However, she said our one will be like the 2013 campaign which is basically the same as last year.

So is that the spot the difference or the one where you pick what comes next to finish the sequence.

So is that the spot the difference or the one where you pick what comes next to finish the sequence.

If it's like the 2016 campaign, according to Althepal's experience, it'll be the spot the difference.

Yes itll be spot the difference or the odd one out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

To anyone that has an interview coming up, just an FYI that the Minister for Justice has now changed, it is now Charlie Flanagan.

Guys, I have notified the Garda trainee unit at PAS that there's that inconsistency between the booklet and the practice material we were talking about some posts ago, and they told me that the issue will be fixed and we'll receive the correct information shortly.

Oh that's great mate, I was going to do it to, will they be emailing out to us all or what's the story? Do you no which test that we will be sitting then. Thanks.

Oh that's great mate, I was going to do it to, will they be emailing out to us all or what's the story? Do you no which test that we will be sitting then. Thanks.

Unfortunately I was only told that they'll send us another link to the correct info, so I still don't know anything specific.
    I hope we'll get their email tomorrow

Oruam wrote:
    Unfortunately I was only told that they'll send us another link to the correct info, so I still don't know anything specific. I hope we'll get their email tomorrow

Yes let's hope we get somthing if not tomorrow Monday morning.

Oruam wrote:
    Unfortunately I was only told that they'll send us another link to the correct info, so I still don't know anything specific. I hope we'll get their email tomorrow

Yes let's hope we get somthing if not tomorrow Monday morning.
    Jeez, I am so tired that I thought today was Sunday already! :D

Ha ha ha, that's no problem mate, the sun must be getting to ya.

Hahaha! Probably: it's around 30 degrees here!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 19gerwin90

Has anyone received a link for Part B: Aptitude Tests yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

I completed the 90 minute questionnaire got it done earlier but i submitted it and i got no confirmation, additionally on the publicjobs profile it says there are no open applications for myself is this the case with other people? I emailed them and they said they dont send out confirmations i reckon some sort of site fck up has cost me but can anybody clarify if it should show garda intake in the open applications tab on publicjobs?

Edit: Nevermind just got it 2 minutes after posting lol

19gerwin90 wrote: »
    Has anyone received a link for Part B: Aptitude Tests yet?

I've just received it now

However, I haven't received the correct information about the abstract reasoning test yet. I think it's an inductive reasoning test, but I can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 19gerwin90

I just received mine there now as well.

They must of heard me talking about them :)

Ya I received mined now too. I'm nervous now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Hi, do you know the location you would be posted to before you start training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

redmgar wrote: »
    Hi, do you know the location you would be posted to before you start training?

Nope.

You'll be assigned your station towards the end of your 32 weeks in Templemore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

cheers, and do you know how the 32 weeks in broken up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

redmgar wrote: »
    cheers, and do you know how the 32 weeks in broken up?

It's not really ''broken up'' as such.

It's pretty much 9-5 classes Monday-Friday.
    The modules are outlined on either the garda website or the booklet for candidates.

Different things are scheduled to be taught at certain stages, i.e. self defence (Judo), handcuffing, pepper spray, asp baton technique etc.
    Anecdotally I think these things start around week 13 but I may be open to correction there

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Eddyrio5

Hi all, thought id join this thread now. I was on the 2016 campaign got to stage 4 with a low oom but failed the Irish examination there in May by 9 points overall which was gutting. I will have to do the irish again (if i get that far). If anyone needs any information on what way the campaign works etc feel free to ask

Eddyrio5 wrote: »
    Hi all, thought id join this thread now. I was on the 2016 campaign got to stage 4 with a low oom but failed the Irish examination there in May by 9 points overall which was gutting. I will have to do the irish again (if i get that far). If anyone needs any information on what way the campaign works etc feel free to ask

Sorry, I've never read about an Irish exam. Did you apply for the Irish fluency stream?

Sorry, I've never read about an Irish exam. Did you apply for the Irish fluency stream?

Sorry should have explained better. I dont have two languages only English. In that case you have to sit an Irish exam set by PAS. If you have both languages then you do not have to sit the exam

• Advertisement

Sorry should have explained better. I dont have two languages only English. In that case you have to sit an Irish exam set by PAS. If you have both languages then you do not have to sit the exam

Ok, thanks for explaining :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 teradata94

Just finished the tests..Got most of them complete in the timeframe..i think 1 for the logical reasoning left and maybe 2 for the verbal reasoning..does anyone know the timeframes for this campaign - stage 2 / 3 /4 / intake etc providing all goes well.

Interested to see how others fared in stage 1 also

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

teradata94 wrote: »
    Just finished the tests..Got most of them complete in the timeframe..i think 1 for the logical reasoning left and maybe 2 for the verbal reasoning..does anyone know the timeframes for this campaign - stage 2 / 3 /4 / intake etc providing all goes well.

Interested to see how others fared in stage 1 also

As far as I know stage 1 results are out by the 14th July, anyone invited to stage 2 will be attending supervised exam between 31st July and 4th August, the stage 3 assessments and interviews from September. After that I'm not sure. But check out the candidate handbook, there's a lot of good information in there.
    http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Garda%20Trainee%202017%20Notes%20for%20Candidates.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MB1998

I've got a holiday that is booked for the 20th of July to the 3rd of August, who shall I inform? If I inform Whoever is over stage 2, will they withdraw my application because I will be unable to attend the test in the assessment centre (if I do advance that is)

Has anyone heard how many has applied this time round yet, I'm really interested to no? If I emailed public jobs would you think they would tell me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Hi I completed the assessments and they both show as complete, how do I summit these or do I just log out ?

You just log out, once their saved that's grand I think, that's what I done anyway.
    How do you think you got on?

You just log out, once their saved that's grand I think, that's what I done anyway.

I got on okay. The verbal reasoning might get me. This is my third campaign I didn't pass the Irish last time.

Just finished it there lads how do ye reckon ye got on?

deiseman17 wrote:
    Just finished it there lads how do ye reckon ye got on.

Fair play mate, I found the verbal harder than the abstract, I left two or three of the verbal blank as a result of time and I completed all the shapes with about a minute left, so who nose what will happen....

• Advertisement

Ya im on a similar boat to you being honest. Just the wait now to get the results :D

Cedric87 wrote: »

I got on okay. The verbal reasoning might get me. This is my third campaign I didn't pass the Irish last time.

Cedric you're the same as me then. Failed the irish by a combined 9 marks. When did you sit your Irish? Hopefully we pass all stages again then ace that Irish test(assuming you still have to do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gafman96

Anyone know if there'll be another recruitment drive this year and if when it might be?

Gafman96 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there'll be another recruitment drive this year and if when it might be?

In my opinion, nobody knows

Cedric you're the same as me then. Failed the irish by a combined 9 marks. When did you sit your Irish? Hopefully we pass all stages again then ace that Irish test(assuming you still have to do it)

Sat it in may I think. I'll have to do it again but I'll be better prepared. I only failed the oral part.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Cedric87 wrote: »
    Sat it in may I think. I'll have to do it again but I'll be better prepared. I only failed the oral part.

Sorry to hear that. I sat my Irish assessment to in May and it's certainly not easy.

It will prepare you better for next time though.

I passed mine thank God. Best of luck in new campaign.

What time today will the results be out at?

deiseman17 wrote: »
    What time today will the results be out at?
    Usually just after 1500 when i got previous results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Usually just after 1500 when i got previous results

The later one hears usually the better I found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

They probably leave it as late as possible because they don't want loads of angry phone calls on a Friday evening, from disappointed candidates! :D

Advertisement