Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Vicar Street - 17th & 18th September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Well it says the same non transferrable thing for Bon Iver too,in tiny writing that one would barely notice, and Toutless is listing that event .

We both know that there isnt a hope in hell that the ID checks are going to be implemented .
    There was no mention of it in the terms and conditions of the actual booking page on the Opera House website.
    You have to clearly agree to this in the terms and conditions and there was no option to do this.
    The Songkick tickets dont even have a name on them !

Bon Iver says "Non transferable" which literally every ticket says in the Terms and Conditions. The National page states to bring ID. Different wording and it is clear that different rules are intended to be in play for The National. If you think you can pull the Terms and Conditions out on the night and argue with a bouncer under orders to check ID good luck with that. Maybe you'll get a refund after the event on the back of that... maybe.

I don't know and I don't know how you can know what will happen on the night regards the checks. You are making a guess. Maybe it will be right but I can't run a site based on guesses.

I'm also not going to make exceptions based on the failure of a third party to actually properly implement an id check. That sort of micromanagement is unworkable and could have a late stage change that invalidates previous transactions.

Ignoring these rules would be the easy thing to do for us but we've a duty of care to users that they can expect to have no issues with using a legit ticket to go to an event. If the promoter is clearly saying they want the original purchaser there with ID that is what we'll enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Toast wrote: »
    Bon Iver says "Non transferable" which literally every ticket says in the Terms and Conditions. The National page states to bring ID. Different wording and it is clear that different rules are intended to be in play for The National. If you think you can pull the Terms and Conditions out on the night and argue with a bouncer under orders to check ID good luck with that. Maybe you'll get a refund after the event on the back of that... maybe.

I don't know and I don't know how you can know what will happen on the night regards the checks. You are making a guess. Maybe it will be right but I can't run a site based on guesses.

I'm also not going to make exceptions based on the failure of a third party to actually properly implement an id check. That sort of micromanagement is unworkable and could have a late stage change that invalidates previous transactions.

Ignoring these rules would be the easy thing to do for us but we've a duty of care to users that they can expect to have no issues with using a legit ticket to go to an event. If the promoter is clearly saying they want the original purchaser there with ID that is what we'll enforce.

Fair enough I can see where you are coming from ,you are running a website and have to adhere to the official line.

They should just have made the event credit card entry like the Dublin gigs but I guess they don't have the necessary technology in place.
    Or else made it clear that you needed to bring the card used to make the purchase .

I'm pretty sure that the Opera house added the ID thing onto their listing page after the tickets went on sale ,it definitely wasn't there for the Spotify Presale.

Alot of people wont have even seen the ID thing when they booked tickets ,as it wasnt mentioned in the terms so I cant see how it can be implemented.

I'm not pro touting but if you are going to implement restrictions ,it must be clear.
    I had to attend Paramore in Dublin in June with my niece because Paramore decided to change the terms and conditions and require the person who bought the tickets to attend.
    Even when I rang up the day before to check I was given the line that I needed to attend .
    There were zero ID checks on the night and the touts were standing at the entrance laughing and joking with the bouncers.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The new album sounds great. Turtleneck is going to be an absolute f**king belter live.

Can't wait for next Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Mr.H wrote: »
    Is the cork gig not all seated? I was pretty sure it was.

Also anyone okie the situation with the times on Saturday?

Everything says the show starts at 10...... surely not?

Cork show is not all seated. Opera house can remove the seats downstairs for bigger shows and concerts, which they will do for both National and Bon Iver next week. Upstairs, stalls etc is seated.

And 10 sounds right. The gig is part of a festival, with dozens of other gigs running throughout the city. Festival timetable (sounds from a safe harbour website has it) lists some of the other big shows to start at 7 and 8 at coughlans and St Luke's so staggering it to have the national on later to avoid an overlap makes sense.

On the same night, Mona Lo at Coughlans at 7.30pm, Iarla O'Lionaird at St Luke's (7.30 too) and Wyvern Lingo at Cyprus Avenue at 8pm so National would likely be later to account for that.

But double check with the Opera House if you're worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

I know slightly off topic but it is national related !great article on how the Songs from a Safe harbour festival idea kicked off in cork back in 2013 Mary met Bryce in hayfield over a cup of tea as they were in cork playing at the marquee - so cool how it all happened ! Some great stuff happening in cork next weekend - hopefully this festival will continue grow !!

http://www.thepointofeverything.com/2017/09/08/mary-hickson-sounds-from-a-safe-harbour-i-think-i-am-built-for-this/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Very long bans for the next mention of ticket sales/swaps.

For members of boards that have been on here a while it might be a perm ban. Ye all know the rules by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Cork show is not all seated. Opera house can remove the seats downstairs for bigger shows and concerts, which they will do for both National and Bon Iver next week. Upstairs, stalls etc is seated.

And 10 sounds right. The gig is part of a festival, with dozens of other gigs running throughout the city. Festival timetable (sounds from a safe harbour website has it) lists some of the other big shows to start at 7 and 8 at coughlans and St Luke's so staggering it to have the national on later to avoid an overlap makes sense.

On the same night, Mona Lo at Coughlans at 7.30pm, Iarla O'Lionaird at St Luke's (7.30 too) and Wyvern Lingo at Cyprus Avenue at 8pm so National would likely be later to account for that.

But double check with the Opera House if you're worried!

Wow didnt realise there was so much actually going on. Im driving from limerick. Was gonna just head for the gig but think ill make the most of it :D

Wow didnt realise there was so much actually going on. Im driving from limerick. Was gonna just head for the gig but think ill make the most of it :D

http://soundsfromasafeharbour.com/timetable/

Full timetable for the festival, plus the promise of a heap of surprise, pop up and unannounced gigs around the place. I'm excited!

Saint Sister announced as National support for Cork btw. Not sure if its the same in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I wonder what the setlist will be like, they played a few US shows and they played Sleep Well Beast in it's entirety and then played around 4 older tracks as an encore, they played at Glasto and France and the setlists was more varied. I'd be a bit disappointed if they were mainly to play the whole new album

siblers wrote: »
    I wonder what the setlist will be like, they played a few US shows and they played Sleep Well Beast in it's entirety and then played around 4 older tracks as an encore, they played at Glasto and France and the setlists was more varied. I'd be a bit disappointed if they were mainly to play the whole new album

Prepare for disappointment, I reckon.

Nah, I think it'll be a longer set than the last few shows have been but will include the vast majority, if not all, of the new album, padded out with a few other tracks.

What is a little strange is that Trouble Will Find Me has been totally removed from the last few shows, with even something from the self-titled debut getting a run out last week.

Cork is the official start of the Sleep Well Beast tour, the previous shows (like Brooklyn last week) have been album launch shows instead, so it is hard to gauge exactly how it will play out.

I reckon the setlist from Haven might be a good barometer as it was the same kind of thing - a headline slot at a festival coordinated by Bryce Dessner and featuring lots of friends.

The press releases about this show has said to 'expect guests and surprises from near and far' so I'd expect Lisa Hannigan and Justin Vernon to stand in on vocals for the odd song.

Note: This is all guesswork - I don't mean to get anyone's hopes too high!!

• Advertisement

Personally delighted they are dropping some of the 'hits', they've a huge back catalogue and the amount they tour here most people at the gigs have probably heard them. Just a personal pref though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

lordgoat wrote: »
    Personally delighted they are dropping some of the 'hits', they've a huge back catalogue and the amount they tour here most people at the gigs have probably heard them. Just a personal pref though.

If they do drop a lot of their live staples the crowd chatter will be very loud and the bars will be very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

Peter File wrote: »
    If they do drop a lot of their live staples the crowd chatter will be very loud and the bars will be very busy.

Unfortunately, this is very true..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭sporina

but they are touring the new album so what do ye expect? although i am sure they will play the odd hit - in the encore at least

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

sporina wrote: »
    but they are touring the new album so what do ye expect? although i am sure they will play the odd hit - in the encore at least

I'd be hoping for 5 or 6 songs from the new album at most. I'm not sure if it is fair to expect that they play the full album just because its a new album tour.

Then again, I never expected them to play Vicar St either!!:)

I'd be hoping for 5 or 6 songs from the new album at most. I'm not sure if it is fair to expect that they play the full album just because its a new album tour.

Then again, I never expected them to play Vicar St either!!:)

I hate it when a band plays a new album in its entirety,its pure self indulgence.
    5 or 6 new songs is plenty .
    The band make their money from touring and most people go to the gigs to hear the hits .

Support for the Cork gig starts at 10 so the National wont be on until at least 11.
    Matt could be worse for wear ,especially with the festival on ,he could be langers,like here.

I hate it when a band plays a new album in its entirety,its pure self indulgence.
    The band make their money from touring and most people go to the gigs to hear the hits .

Support for the Cork gig starts at 10 so the National wont be on until at least 11.
    Matt could be worse for wear ,especially with the festival on ,he could be langers,like here.

I too hate it when a band does what they want at their concert that I have chosen to go to. Like I give them money so they have an obligation to do what i want. Right?

I love the new album anyway so I won't mind what they play.

That being said I am dragging the girlfriend to the gig. This is the third time she will be dragged there haha. She likes a lot of the beat of stuff; need my girl, about today, Mr November, apartment song, and so on. So for her benefit I hope there is a lot of old stuff.

My concern is if they are not on stage until 11!!! I could be pretty well on it at that stage haha. No my concern is that how late can they play? I'm guessing they won't be playing for 2 hours if they are starting that late.

Should be a great gig anyway. Gonna head to cork to see if I can catch the 3pm Liverpool game on a screen on the woolshed. After that gonna see what the crack is music wise from 5 until the doors open. Gonna be a long day but totally worth it

i said the same to himself the other night - I hope the feck he is not in a state like he was at glasto.. i'll b seriously peed off if so... paying to hear then play and sing - its not acceptable IMO for them to be annihilated on stage when we have paid good money (and some of us queued in the cold)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I love the new album anyway so I won't mind what they play.

That being said I am dragging the girlfriend to the gig. This is the third time she will be dragged there haha. She likes a lot of the beat of stuff; need my girl, about today, Mr November, apartment song, and so on. So for her benefit I hope there is a lot of old stuff.

My concern is if they are not on stage until 11!!! I could be pretty well on it at that stage haha. No my concern is that how late can they play? I'm guessing they won't be playing for 2 hours if they are starting that late.

Should be a great gig anyway. Gonna head to cork to see if I can catch the 3pm Liverpool game on a screen on the woolshed. After that gonna see what the crack is music wise from 5 until the doors open. Gonna be a long day but totally worth it

Dunno if that's an issue in the Opera house tbh, Steve Aoki played until 3 or 4 AM in there 2 years ago

• Advertisement

Dunno if that's an issue in the Opera house tbh, Steve Aoki played until 3 or 4 AM in there 2 years ago

Wow. Doubt herself will be delighted at driving back to Limerick at that hour.

On a side note. Does anyone know of a 24 hour car park close to the opera house where we could collect the car at 3 if need be? I know I can park on street if we are after 5 or 6 but just in case.

To be honest I've rarely seen them not drunk. It kinda adds to it imo. Never really affects his voice

I haven't seen the Glastonbury set though so it could have been bad for all I know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

To be honest I've rarely seen them not drunk. It kinda adds to it imo. Never really affects his voice

I haven't seen the Glastonbury set though so it could have been bad for all I know
    i presume they mean Glasto 2010, he was fine this year.

i presume they mean Glasto 2010, he was fine this year.

I know earlier this year Matt said he had given up the alcohol for tea but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

oh he was bad at Glasto -wasn't there but say it on TV - he was out of time with the melody and the other had to try and carry him through.. it was cringe worthy - ok - maybe I could forgive him at a festival such as Glasto but not in the Opera House as its so intimate

Ya never know - he might read this lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭siblers

On a side note. Does anyone know of a 24 hour car park close to the opera house where we could collect the car at 3 if need be? I know I can park on street if we are after 5 or 6 but just in case.
    http://www.q-park.ie/parking-with-q-park/our-parking-facilities/cork/q-park-grand-parade but it's expensive

I used to park on Father Matthew's Quay, it's not too far of a walk, about 10-15 minutes and it's free after 6

Regarding Matt's drinking, I've seen them twice at the marquee, he had a bottle of whisky both times but he was fine, he only drank from the bottle 3 or 4 times and it seemed to have little effect on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

I know earlier this year Matt said he had given up the alcohol for tea but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

think that was a disguise - the teapot was filled with Wine :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gary314c

We parked in Q-Park on Carroll's Quay last weekend for Ryan Adams. If you park after 6pm you can validate the ticket in the Opera House and it's only 3e from 6pm to 10am the next day. Less than 2 mins to the opera house. Open 24 hours as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

what time are they expected to start in dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Who's supporting in the Dublin gigs?

Advertisement