Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Vicar Street - 17th & 18th September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Wonder why they didn't play Sleep Well Beast.
    There was enough time.

I grabbed a setlist, they had sleep well beast with a (maybe) for the second encore but obviously never happened. Cracking gig, my poor hearing is in bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

Good gig... Old stuff was excellent... Newer stuff didn't go down as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

boardie100 wrote: »
    Good gig... Old stuff was excellent... Newer stuff didn't go down as well...

I take your point but the album is only out a wet week. There's alot of people unfamiliar with it. I expected the whole album (or thereabouts) to be played so was happy with it.
    To finish on Mr November and terrible love was epic to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭siblers

How many new songs did they play? Got no Mr.November down in Cork despite them saying how great the crowd was!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

siblers wrote: »
    How many new songs did they play? Got no Mr.November down in Cork despite them saying how great the crowd was!

I was disappointed in Walk it Back. It's my favourite song from the new album but doesn't work as well live.
    Day I Die & Turtleneck are crackers live though!

Song from the new album are in bold.
    The only song from the new album they didn't play was "Sleep Well Beast".

Nobody Else Will Be There
    The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness
    Walk It Back

Don't Swallow the Cap
    Bloodbuzz Ohio
    Baby We’ll Be Fine
    Dark Side of the Gym
    Guilty Party
    Turtleneck

I Need My Girl
    The is the Last Time
    Mistaken for Strangers
    Apartment Story
    Empire Line
    I'll Still Destroy You
    Carin at the Liquor Store
    Day I Die

Fake Empire
    Lucky You
    Born to Beg
    Mr. November
    Terrible Love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ah not too different from Cork so, did he go into the crowd for Mr.November?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

siblers wrote: »
    Ah not too different from Cork so, did he go into the crowd for Mr.November?

Nope. A more mature performance than years gone by. Matt did disappear a few times though. Dodgy bladder maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

They played eleven tracks from the new album; only the title track (which, as has been pointed out, was on the setlist as a "maybe") wasn't played. The more upbeat songs - The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness, Turtleneck and Day I Die - obviously work very well, because it's easier to generate a crowd response to them, whereas some of the other tracks need time to find their audience. As has been said already, the album only came out nine days ago, and it's a big ask to expect full scale familiarity with the material, even if most of us have had it on a continuous loop since it came out.
    Personally, it was exactly the sort of show I expected. Any major act who are playing smaller venues than normal are generally going to be showcasing new material. I always felt we'd get at least eight or ten from Sleep Well Beast, so neither the Cork show nor last night felt overburdened with new songs.

Edit: heebusjeebus has highlighted the amount of songs from the new album while I was typing this.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

who was the support?

Luluc (I believe), Aaron worked with them on their second album the girl singer said

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Decent gig, crowd seriously up for it. Band looked grand but not overly awed by the gig/atmosphere. Prob getting used to it.

Loved the set list. New songs def better already than on the album. Old songs... i'd have swapped out a few but hey that's not my call!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Zarkandar wrote: »
    Super gig but man was it packed tight in there. I'd get a good spot early on Monday if going and forget about going to bar during the National set.
    Always the same for sold out Vicar st shows, I think they sell too many standing tickets.

How was the flow with the credit card/paperless setup? Big queues? Any way of getting in, getting a stamp and coming back later? Or do you need to stay in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

How was the flow with the credit card/paperless setup? Big queues? Any way of getting in, getting a stamp and coming back later? Or do you need to stay in?

Didn't see a queue really. Nothing out of the ordinary. They just swipe the card. It must be going to local database because the response is instant. (Not like paying for something on a card in the shop).

There was a slight mess up with my card: My card expired after I bought the ticket. While waiting for my mate I went into the boxoffice to confirm that my new card (With same number, just re-issue) would work OK. They checked it out but it seems that in checking it out they swiped me in. I had to go back to the BO to get in then. But that was probably rare.

All in all seemed to be no slower than scanning tickets.

You got a stamp if you wanted to go out for a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

It was grand, 3 girls with portable Scanning machines were there to swipe your card. You can get a stamp and head out of the venue no problem.

Great gig last night but there were some hilariously shiotfaced Dublin fans and more talkers than I would have liked!

Easy Rod wrote: »
    It was grand, 3 girls with portable Scanning machines were there to swipe your card. You can get a stamp and head out of the venue no problem.

Great gig last night but there were some hilariously shiotfaced Dublin fans and more talkers than I would have liked!
    Weekend gig effect, hopefully Monday will be more civilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

roll wrote: »
    how did the no ticket thing go? my email confirmation does not have my credit card number on it so i'm bringing the ticketmaster-generated receipt as well..... i can't see how this system benefits anybody, quite frankly!

i take it all back-entry to venue was very well organised

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Fran1979 wrote: »
    There is a street on the left just after Vicar street that I always park on. I have never had any issues parking on it. But if you want to make sure your car is safe then I would suggest Q park 4 courts. There is a petrol station in front of it.

Thanks a million Fran1979. That car park closes at 11pm so would be could be cutting it a bit fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Great gig. One of best crowds ive been in for a long time. Every one actually paying attention to the gig. Pleasant change from the selfie brigade.

Agree with the over packed. Extremely hot too!!

Very jealous of those going tonight

Thanks a million Fran1979. That car park closes at 11pm so would be could be cutting it a bit fine

They ran a bit past even from what I remember last night.. Would it be too much of a stretch to park at heuston and get the luas down/walk back?

• Advertisement

Francis St sometimes has spare spots. Worth a look for handiness. Although you might do better closer to 7, instead of 6

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Fran1979 wrote: »
    There is a street on the left just after Vicar street that I always park on. I have never had any issues parking on it. But if you want to make sure your car is safe then I would suggest Q park 4 courts. There is a petrol station in front of it.

Thanks a million Fran1979.  That car park closes at 11pm so would be could be cutting it a bit fine
    You sure? I always use it for Vicar St gigs and never had a bother. Safe as houses and seems to be open 24/7.

You just have to use the intercom to get in after certain hours. Maybe that's changed recently, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Entrance hours up until 11pm right enough but once you're in you can leave any time, I think:
    http://www.q-park.ie/parking-with-q-park/our-parking-facilities/dublin/q-park-four-courts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

Fantastic gig - system with the cards was very well organised.

Were there any tickets available at the door, does anyone know? Someone said that was the case in Cork, and the security lads said the Box Office was opening at 6pm, as well as the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Y'know, even though there was a slight kerfuffle with my card and a bit of a pain in the ar*e having to wait for a friend (Delayed due to no fault of his), it was still fine. Anything to stop the touts. No "Anywun buyyyyyin' or sellllllin' tickets" scumbags hanging around. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Y'know, even though there was a slight kerfuffle with my card and a bit of a pain in the ar*e having to wait for a friend (Delayed due to no fault of his), it was still fine. Anything to stop the touts. No "Anywun buyyyyyin' or sellllllin' tickets" scumbags hanging around. Brilliant.

Any genuine ticket selling there? Where you could hand over the cash, and head in with the ticket seller. Thinking of heading in to Vicar Street this evening to see if anything going. Missed the ticket sales, and couldn't go last night as was All-Ireland day. Unfortunately it was drowning of the sorrows rather than breaking out the champagne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Anyone see the support band Luluc?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

The carpark in Jurys at Christchurch is €8 if you prepay and open 24 hours. 5 mins walk to Vicar Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

lc180 wrote: »
    Anyone see the support band Luluc?

I saw most of them. I'm not 100% sure what to make of them! For a duo who are together years they seemed really unsure of who was playing when. They just didn't seem to have the tightness I'd expect, if that makes sense. Aaron came out for their last song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 smurf54

Anyone else notice Matt spitting on stage a few times? I've seen the National a few times and loved them every time. Thought there was a bit of an arrogant swagger about Matt last night. Along with throwing half full cups of wine at the crowd and leaving the stage twice during the gig. Something strange seemed up with him I felt. Left the stage at the end while the rest of the band were still playing too.. I was right up the front by Aaron Dessner and he seemed pissed off with him at the end of the gig.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much. Anyone else notice his behaviour wasn't the best?

Advertisement