Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Vicar Street - 17th & 18th September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

siblers wrote: »
    It depend though, you needed a Spotify account for the presale for this gig and for other concerts you can only get a code for the presale if you are with 3 network etc so it automatically excludes a good proportion of people.

Even for larger concerts it can still be a bit of an issue, If a concert has a capacity of 15,000 and say 5,000 are gone for the presale, it makes it that much harder to get tickets

For this gig though there were two means of pre-sale, (i) register through the band's website in advance, and (ii) have a spotify account and listen to the national to such an extent that their algorithm identifies you as a 'fan'.

(i) is open to literally everyone who has enough interest to do it and (ii) is open to almost everyone, as the number of people 20-40 without spotify accounts has to be small and getting smaller.

Much fairer than opening up to random sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Well Jealous of all of ye who got tickets , I reckon these shows will be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Disappointed didn't get cork tickets... but Ive been so lucky getting tickets for a lot of sold out gigs this summer so can't go to everything

Great for those that did. It's going to be a magical gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

For this gig though there were two means of pre-sale, (i) register through the band's website in advance, and (ii) have a spotify account and listen to the national to such an extent that their algorithm identifies you as a 'fan'.

(i) is open to literally everyone who has enough interest to do it and (ii) is open to almost everyone, as the number of people 20-40 without spotify accounts has to be small and getting smaller.

But this gives preference to spotify users who on a per user rate at least are less financially beneficial to the band.

You would suspect they know what they are doing and maybe the % of income from spottily is higher because the % of user from there is much higher , but certainly all metrics published to date says that artists get more cash from a fan who buys a download or a physical copy than through a subscription service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Opera House had a venue presale ,if you contacted them last Friday on Facebook ,they sent a link,I believe.

The National will be back again next year ,playing bigger venues ,this tour in small venues is primarily to generate hype and publicity .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Somehow managed to bag two tickets for the Vicar Street show on Monday.

A lot of disappointed mates though that didn't get any.

I highly recommend those that missed out on the Irish shows to grab a ticket to Pitchfork in Paris if ye have a little extra money to spend.
    Early bird tickets are 100 euro and the festival always has incredible acts (National and Run the Jewels already announced). Flights to Paris are piss cheap too.

But this gives preference to spotify users who on a per user rate at least are less financially beneficial to the band.

You would suspect they know what they are doing and maybe the % of income from spottily is higher because the % of user from there is much higher , but certainly all metrics published to date says that artists get more cash from a fan who buys a download or a physical copy than through a subscription service.

True, but that's up to the band, I suppose. They did offer pre-sale for future purchaes of albums - and I suppose a lot of spotify listeners would have bought most of their albums anyway, as they were pre-spotify.

wong wrote: »
    Somehow managed to bag two tickets for the Vicar Street show on Monday.

A lot of disappointed mates though that didn't get any.

I highly recommend those that missed out on the Irish shows to grab a ticket to Pitchfork in Paris if ye have a little extra money to spend.
    Early bird tickets are 100 euro and the festival always has incredible acts (National and Run the Jewels already announced). Flights to Paris are piss cheap too.

Edinburgh tickets still available too.

For future reference ,does anyone know if you could buy tickets in the Opera House itself or on the phone for the gig ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

For future reference ,does anyone know if you could buy tickets in the Opera House itself or on the phone for the gig ?

You can indeed.

I don't know if they keep a certain % for physical sales or digital sales, but they have often sold through the venue on the day.

I wouldn't fancy my chances over the phone, simply because box office staff would be busy dealing with the person standing in front of them.

EDIT: By which I mean, if there's a rush on and the gig is likely to sell out on the day, that is. For gigs which aren't selling out, the staff over the phone are brilliant. COH staff are consistently among the nicest to deal with in the country in my experience.

• Advertisement

You can indeed.

I don't know if they keep a certain % for physical sales or digital sales, but they have often sold through the venue on the day.

I wouldn't fancy my chances over the phone, simply because box office staff would be busy dealing with the person standing in front of them.

EDIT: By which I mean, if there's a rush on and the gig is likely to sell out on the day, that is. For gigs which aren't selling out, the staff over the phone are brilliant. COH staff are consistently among the nicest to deal with in the country in my experience.

Thanks ,the staff are excellent allright .
    Its a great venue ,and very relaxed,I like the way you can wander off outside during the interval and come back in .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭siblers

My friend rang them, he was told there was a huge queue outside which was going around the corner. It's pretty rare for them to get bands as big as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

Understandably people are disappointed about missing out on tickets but they were always going to be hard to come by, especially this morning. The capacity for Vicar St for a standing gig is 1500. Most people would be buying the maximum of two tickets, meaning that there would only be 750 transactions for each night. Taking away tickets that'll be given away (promotions etc) and the two pre-sales the number of tickets available this morning would of been tiny.

Also the National play here constantly. They haven't stopped touring for the past 5 years and they'll be back around again. They played here 6 times on the last album tour. When they add more dates next year they'll be back to at least play the 3 arena, possibly a festival as well and more than likely more gigs.

siblers wrote: »
    It depend though, you needed a Spotify account for the presale for this gig and for other concerts you can only get a code for the presale if you are with 3 network etc so it automatically excludes a good proportion of people.

A 3 sim is only 20 euro though ,you can get one and use it specifically for presale codes .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

A 3 sim is only 20 euro though ,you can get one and use it specifically for presale codes .

This is what the world has come to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Ravelleman wrote: »

Well you get to keep the credit and spend it via Google pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Ravelleman wrote: »

It's no longer enough that you buy their albums, go to their previous gigs; now you need to buy into corporate partners to get your tickets.

Sorry, I'm just very bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭sporina

my story - for Cork..

So my OH went to the OH this morn and got 2 tickets - he was there for 8.. apparently there were 400 tickets for sale between OH and on line..

I went on line at 9.55 just for the craic to see if i could get tickets - had i been able I would have got them and sold them to mates or who ever..

Conclusion, a mate was in queue at OH - apparently only 20 folk in the queue got tickets - thats 40 - (2x20)
    I was on line bang on 10 and was in the queue - then was told it was sold out..

So how were 360 tickets sold on line? and how did I not make the cut? Is it that random? 100's on line and pot luck who get's in line first ?
    PS i have excellent braodband so thats not an issue..

Anyway delighted we got tickets but this whole ticket thing is a fiasco.. as if people have nothing better to do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭siblers

sporina wrote: »
    my story - for Cork..

So my OH went to the OH this morn and got 2 tickets - he was there for 8.. apparently there were 400 tickets for sale between OH and on line..

I went on line at 9.55 just for the craic to see if i could get tickets - had i been able I would have got them and sold them to mates or who ever..

Conclusion, a mate was in queue at OH - apparently only 20 folk in the queue got tickets - thats 40 - (2x20)
    I was on line bang on 10 and was in the queue - then was told it was sold out..

So how were 360 tickets sold on line? and how did I not make the cut? Is it that random? 100's on line and pot luck who get's in line first ?
    PS i have excellent braodband so thats not an issue..

Anyway delighted we got tickets but this whole ticket thing is a fiasco.. as if people have nothing better to do

The way they order people in the online queue is pure random, doesn't matter how long your were online for etc., once it hit 10, everyone in the queue was randomly assigned a place and it went from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

The National will be back again next year ,playing bigger venues ,this tour in small venues is primarily to generate hype and publicity .

I think they are actually pretty bad in big venues. I am a huge fan of The National and would rate the Olympia gigs in some of my all time favourite gigs. They are incredibly special when playing small venues. Any time I have seen them play bigger venues especially open air ones I feel they get completely lost. Some bands just don't suit that type of gig and I feel they are one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I've only seen the national in the big top in Galway years ago, wasn't as big a fan then as I am now so really can't wait to see them in vicar street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

I think they are actually pretty bad in big venues. I am a huge fan of The National and would rate the Olympia gigs in some of my all time favourite gigs. They are incredibly special when playing small venues. Any time I have seen them play bigger venues especially open air ones I feel they get completely lost. Some bands just don't suit that type of gig and I feel they are one of them.

Agree totally on this ... Saw them in Olympia and even being up in the gods there unreal gig - better than Iveagh gardens/Marquee/3 arena .
    Not sure of date but it was early touring of alligator album I think so very early days - they played a night in the triskel in Cork .City . apparently 20/30 people at it people at it ! Imagine being able to say you were one of the 30 !!

whatever76 wrote: »
    Agree totally on this ... Saw them in Olympia and even being up in the gods there unreal gig - better than Iveagh gardens/Marquee/3 arena .
    Not sure of date but it was early touring of alligator album I think so very early days - they played a night in the triskel in Cork .City . apparently 20/30 people at it people at it ! Imagine being able to say you were one of the 30 !!

Probably the same time they were here in 2005 and played Whelans. A mate of mine was a huge fan at the time and dragged a load of people along to Whelans. I was not one of them :( Lucky bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They played the futures tent and clashed with Daft Punk on 2nd stage and The Killers on the main stage at Oxegen 2007 (when Killers were all the rage). Remember that tent being tiny but also barely populated because everyone was at the bigger stages. Hard to think now of how many were there but wasn't that many for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

https://youtu.be/uWd0EWKpH94

Getting me in the mood for this right now. It might be too early for it though.

OhHiMark wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/uWd0EWKpH94

Getting me in the mood for this right now. It might be too early for it though.

Snap, I had this on the earphones in work earlier and listened the whole way through.

I have to say it makes a mockery of my earlier post that they can't rock a big outdoor stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Snap, I had this on the earphones in work earlier and listened the whole way through.

I have to say it makes a mockery of my earlier post that they can't rock a big outdoor stage.

Probably the best live gig I've heard. I downloaded this and chopped it into each song. Such energy and anthems in many songs. God, I need to see them in September but don't have a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

That set list is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Grimsvotn

A pair of tickets for the Cork gig on viagogo for €685. Would anyone be interested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Grimsvotn wrote: »
    A pair of tickets for the Cork gig on viagogo for €685. Would anyone be interested?

Are they yours!!

Advertisement