Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Living - Dryer or Clothes Horse?

Options
  • 11-05-2017 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

For any of you living in or renting/letting apartments is having a dryer the 'norm' these days or is it still a clothes horse?

I know dryers can cause humidity and condensation so curious what's the 'norm'?

Thanks for any feedback.

Oh, added a poll also.

Dryer or Clothes Horse? 16 votes

Dryer
    0% 0 votes
    Clothes Horse
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Never had any humidity issues at all and we dry ours on a clothes horse. We had a combo washer-dryer but when that died we just bought a washer (much cheaper).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I've been using a clothes horse in apartments/houses for the past ten years or so, I've never had any issues. I always try to leave a window in the room open a small bit as often as possible for ventilation.

If the landlord's ever been calling around, I'd probably put the clothes horse out of sight to avoid any questions/discussions. It's never been an issue though, and there was absolutely no issues when getting deposits back etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Bought a dri buddi from argos a few years ago, great little investment

If you're renting your landlord has to provide a dryer if you don't have an outdoors space (yard/patio or balcony) to dry clothes. We've a little patio out the back of our flat which we put a clothes horse out. If it's raining though we leave the clothes horse in a corridor near the back door, slower to dry that way but protects the apartment from getting damp!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

If you're renting your landlord has to provide a dryer if you don't have an outdoors space (yard/patio or balcony) to dry clothes. We've a little patio out the back of our flat which we put a clothes horse out. If it's raining though we leave the clothes horse in a corridor near the back door, slower to dry that way but protects the apartment from getting damp!

When I did live in an apartment we used a clothes horse and a kind of clothes dryer you hung on window with windows open which was ideal...I think we got in a pound shop...
    Our landlord eventually put in a washer/dryer and to be honest once we got the dryer we would have been lost without it especially during winter months...
    I wouldn't be without a dryer now ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

a key issue will be ventilation

is the room you plan to use well ventilated? can you open a window etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A condenser dryer will produce much less condensation (well, apart from inside the drier, into the water container).

I have a Bosch one that done hard duty for about 10 years, my wife insists on drying towels "to make them fluffy". FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I rarely use a dryer as I find they shrink clothes. Does no-one else have this problem?

Also eat electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭CiboC

Dehumidifier is great for helping dry clothes inside, especially during damp winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

a dryer for pure handiness, id take the hit on the clothes shrinking for less hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

If you have good ventilation the clothes horse is they way to go. The dryer is handy for the winter but I find they can be heavy on electricity and shorten the lifespan of clothes, tshirts especially. If you have a patio door or window that gets sunshine throughout the day, stick the clothes horse there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

pilly wrote: »
    I rarely use a dryer as I find they shrink clothes. Does no-one else have this problem?

Also eat electricity.

We have been using a condensing dryer for years. It has a huge amount of settings for different fabric types, so never an issue with clothes shrinking.
    If you give the heavier items a second spin cycle before putting them in the dryer the drying cost is negligible considering time saved.
    We have had no issues with damp or condensation outside of the unit, plus it is runs quietly enough to not disturb anyone.
    Some apartments, depending on how well insulated and ventilated they are will be more susceptible to damp and mould, especially when drying wet / damp clothes on rads or clothes horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

We have a washer dryer that takes ages to dry anything, so we just use a clothes horse. No issue with condensation, and better for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

also have a condenser drier, as with 2 sprogs it was just a pain trying to dry everything on a clothes horse, and leaving a window open might be good to let out the condensation, it means then in winter youre loosing heat so whatever the cost of electricity for a drier, you dont get heating for free either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 purplepatchit

I've had the Lakeland heater clothes horse since 2010. It's pure magic. Layer everything (don't drape over bars). It will take a full load of washing, plus two sheets and a duvet cover over the top like a tent. I leave vent in window open to avoid any condensation. Much cheaper than a tumble dryer. http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry%3ASoon-Standard-3-Tier-Heated-Tower-Airer

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Lumen wrote: »

I have a Bosch one that done hard duty for about 10 years, my wife insists on drying towels "to make them fluffy". FFS.

Mine too. Can't say I notice a difference. As hard as her steak!

Advertisement