Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United/Celta Vigo EL Semi Final 2nd Leg BT Sport 2 20.05, Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Horrible end to the game.
    Thought we deserved it over the two legs.
    No Bailly in the final could cost us but at least we're there, hopefully we can be ruthless for a change, that equaliser tonight was soft and nearly cost us.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

That was exciting. Don't think united will care much at how they've done it but they're where they wanted to be. They couldn't have asked for a much easier route and nearly ****ed it but cup football is what it is. Stay alive long enough to win it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

I need a Valium after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Didn't see game,what were Lingard and Mickey Ryan like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

3 Finals in 12 months

Win 2 - One to go

Don't expect many of their fans to agree with me but the two cups are papering over cracks in this united setup. They got lucky against Southampton and while they should've been out of sight in both ties, both Anderlecht and Celta will rue missed chances. The lack of finishing ability for united is astounding given the chances they create. Coupled with league results I really don't see this massive improvement some do. Alas two trophies if it comes to it is not to be sniffed at but this united team/squad is so much better than what they've shown. They should've strolled the Europa to this point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Justice served right at the end with Guidetti missing that chance.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Justice served right at the end with Guidetti missing that chance.

What did Guidetti do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Don't expect many of their fans to agree with me but the two cups are papering over cracks in this united setup. They got lucky against Southampton and while they should've been out of sight in both ties, both Anderlecht and Celta will rue missed chances. The lack of finishing ability for united is astounding given the chances they create. Coupled with league results I really don't see this massive improvement some do. Alas two trophies if it comes to it is not to be sniffed at but this united team/squad is so much better than what they've shown. They should've strolled the Europa to this point

Fair points if honest. At this moment just glad be in final and just want win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Fully deserved and a chance at a second trophy for Mourinho

Hopefully we don't Klopp up the final

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

dfx- wrote: »
    I honestly can't see what United are building there.

That's the competition that Mourinho is going for and concentrating on and they gamble with it like that. Madness. It was meek, scared stuff.

Celta have themselves to blame for missing some great chances, but they were let come back into the tie.

Sometimes it is more fun when you do it the hard way! That is what cup football is about!

Ch.Lg.1998.1999.Jve.ManUtd.The88+%25283%2529.png

hqdefault.jpg

2712CE3500000578-0-image-a-2_1427547198577.jpg

john-guidetti-celta-vigo-2017_9oyh0t7mqv79138ft05494yfr.jpg?t=-657055837&w=620&h=430

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

There really isn't much difference between United under Mourinho and under Van Gaal yet. They both seem incapable of closing out games so often.

Fair points if honest. At this moment just glad be in final and just want win it

Absolutely, ultimately winning it is all that matters. If it takes a dodgy red card and 3 own goals I wouldn't care as long as my team were on the right side of it

• I can actually picture the 'neutrals' coming out from under the rock but alas, he missed the chance. Crawl back in lads. Save it for another day.
    Hahahahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I agree completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The final is like two relic 80's pop groups performing in Butlins

In fairness most prudent fans would acknowledge this. But they are (hopefully) setting themselves up for much better things next season if they get in to Champ League, acquire a few players and Jose sits down and looks properly at what he does have and devises a better system. Winning a trophy such as this will be a huge team builder also. And players like MKhitaryan, Rashford, Martial, Bailly and Lingaard will only get better next season.

And Pogba will be a bigger force next year, although unbeknownst to many, he has actually had a decent season. Mata, Fellaini, Herrera, all stepped up and Valencia was one of the best wing backs in the league.

And it is very difficult to see them being so unfortunate with injuries as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Unlike all the European finals Manchester City have contested...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

United clearly the classier looking team, but yet they barely crawled into the final.

With that all said, you've got Ajax in the final. They barely have two brass buttons to run together, so in reality, United should be winning the final with their resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I know Jose is known for negative football but trying to close a game out with ten men behind the ball for an hour at home when you're two nil up on aggregate? Pure muck. United haunted to get through. Such a come down from previous eras where they actually played teams off the pitch instead of holding on for dear life. No chant of attack, attack, attack from the crowd either. Saya it all. Guess the mentality of the whole club has changed from let's win this to let's just do enough. Another final and maybe another cup...and probably another 200m spent in the summer ...but Jose will always be a negative coach who kills games instead of bringing them to life.

• Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I know Jose is known for negative football but trying to close a game out with ten men behind the ball for an hour at home when you're two nil up on aggregate? Pure muck. United haunted to get through. Such a come down from previous eras where they actually played teams off the pitch instead of holding on for dear life. No chant of attack, attack, attack from the crowd either. Saya it all. Guess the mentality of the whole club has changed from let's win this to let's just do enough. Another final and maybe another cup...and probably another 200m spent in the summer ...but Jose will always be a negative coach who kills games instead of bringing them to life.

Il take that if we win

Sure nothing worse than playing happy go lucky I love football then you go loose another final ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Yet the club keeps winning trophies instead of just taking part.

Other clubs spent 100's of millions and still have nothing to show for it every season.

• MD1990 wrote: »
    Mourinho looked unbelievebly nervous.

He has those nerves instilled in that team too. Ajax have a great chance in the final.

For sure, as do any team that qualifies for a final

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Il take that if we win

Sure nothing worse than playing happy go lucky I love football then you go loose another final ;)

I'd say playing ****e and losing a final is probably worse. 😜

• Advertisement

So you are repeating what happened Liverpool last season then?
    I distinctively remember them playing ****e and loosing the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Il take that if we win

But with the current approach, you lose more than if your much-better-team simply goes out and asserts themselves.

In fairness, pragmatism has a place in cup competitions against teams of equal/better quality, but this same mentality being used in the league is nuts, where every draw is 2 points dropped, rather than a decent result (as in cup comps).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

nullzero wrote: »
    Unlike all the European finals Manchester City have contested...

Lets be honest he never said City were ever great, more a tribute band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

tenor.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Hope yer mammies have the rosary beads out lads, God help ye if ye lose the final.

• Advertisement

Burial. wrote: »
    Hope yer mammies have the rosary beads out lads, God help ye if ye lose the final.

More like spare pair of Jocks.

All good for now

I think you are over estimating the amount of Ajax fans on here

So you are repeating what happened Liverpool last season then?
    I distinctively remember them playing ****e and loosing the final.

Ha ha, i see your still afllicted with your Liverpool obsession Mick.

Ha ha, i see your still afllicted with your Liverpool obsession Mick.

Obsession with laughing at them...correct :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't expect many of their fans to agree with me but the two cups are papering over cracks in this united setup.

You should read the United superthread then, page after page of fans talking about the very obvious cracks in the United setup.

Obsession with laughing at them...correct :D

Least you're honest. You're obsessed. It's the first step.

Nope, obsessed with laughing at Liverpool
    You might need to re-read what I posted to understand it fully :)

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mourinho looked unbelievebly nervous.

He has those nerves instilled in that team too. Ajax have a great chance in the final.

Yeah, because Ajax's nerves are clearly as calm as a millpond, having almost thrown a 5-1 lead away in the space of 50 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Says the "neutral" :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• MUlT1AP.jpg

LEGEND!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

Looking forward to final, hoping United win it for Evra.

looie wrote: »
    Looking forward to final, hoping United win it for Evra.

Same ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

irishman86 wrote: »

I think you are over estimating the amount of Ajax fans on here

That makes no sense

8-10 wrote: »
    That makes no sense

Oh my dear god, I cant even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

M!Ck^ wrote:
    Nope, obsessed with laughing at Liverpool You might need to re-read what I posted to understand it fully

Ah M!Ck will you leave the little Liverpool fans alone. Can't you see they've come out from under their rock cos they've won fourth place. Let them enjoy their trophy.

mewe wrote: »
    Ah M!Ck will you leave the little Liverpool fans alone. Can't you see they've come out from under their rock cos they've won fourth place. Let them enjoy their trophy.

Jeysus I wish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

United clearly the classier looking team, but yet they barely crawled into the final.

With that all said, you've got Ajax in the final. They barely have two brass buttons to run together, so in reality, United should be winning the final with their resources.

Financially, Ajax are the healthiest club in Europe actually.

spiralism wrote: »
    Financially, Ajax are the healthiest club in Europe actually.

They're a stable, well run club for sure. But financially they're unequivocally minnows in comparison to Manchester United.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    But with the current approach, you lose more than if your much-better-team simply goes out and asserts themselves.

In fairness, pragmatism has a place in cup competitions against teams of equal/better quality, but this same mentality being used in the league is nuts, where every draw is 2 points dropped, rather than a decent result (as in cup comps).

But we don't play in league games like this except away games against top teams.

• Advertisement

• ~Rebel~ wrote: »

To save repeating what I posted, I've shared some thoughts on the setup recently in the Man U thread if you are interested to read. I was far from happy with that approach last night so I understand the point you are making.

Advertisement