Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United/Celta Vigo EL Semi Final 2nd Leg BT Sport 2 20.05, Mod Note in OP

123457»

Comments

• Giggsy11 wrote: »
    But we don't play in league games like this except away games against top teams.

Tbf we have been recently. Same approach against Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Tbf we have been recently. Same approach against Arsenal.

That counts under big away game.

• Giggsy11 wrote: »
    That counts under big away game.

I missed that bit, apologies.
    But the approach is still not right regardless of away of home.
    Again miki Ryan was playing nearly as a wingback
    Rashford was feeding off scraps again last night.
    When Pogba actually got on the ball we were a real threat but ultimately the approach from Jose last night was to allow celta Vigo have alot of possession and we hoped to hit them on the counter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

but ultimately the approach from Jose last night was to allow celta Vigo have alot of possession and we hoped to hit them on the counter

Without wanting to get into defending the tactics, I still must note that pre-game, sitting back and letting Rashford, Martial and Lingard hit them on the counter was exactly what a lot of people wanted to see last night.

And when the likes of Martial or Rashford are our striking options it's the only thing we can do, they do not suit a game where we have pushed up and there is no space in the opposition half.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

looie wrote: »
    Looking forward to final, hoping United win it for Evra.

Explain this one to me please.

• Advertisement

• Without wanting to get into defending the tactics, I still must note that pre-game, sitting back and letting Rashford, Martial and Lingard hit them on the counter was exactly what a lot of people wanted to see last night.

And when the likes of Martial or Rashford are our striking options it's the only thing we can do, they do not suit a game where we have pushed up and there is no space in the opposition half.

Really? Who!

Lets be real here, we were one kick away form going out of the final. Nobody would be defending that approach if we did go out of the tournament.

We allowed Celta Vigo to let the game finish the way it did. They deserved their goal and an argument can easily made to say they deserved to go through on the night.

Is this the same approach we should expect in the Final? I ultimately wont' care if we win however we win it but I fear we will lose if this is what we are going to do in the final.

If some people are willing to accept that then fine but me as a Utd fan I am saying that it's not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I missed that bit, apologies.
    But the approach is still not right regardless of away of home.
    Again miki Ryan was playing nearly as a wingback
    Rashford was feeding off scraps again last night.
    When Pogba actually got on the ball we were a real threat but ultimately the approach from Jose last night was to allow celta Vigo have alot of possession and we hoped to hit them on the counter

Just on this, when the oppositions fullbacks are playing very high and they are using the wings to attack I would more than expect our wingers to be helping out defensively. Near every team does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Nope, obsessed with laughing at Liverpool
    You might need to re-read what I posted to understand it fully :)

Yep, as I said. You're obsessed. something which you freely admit to. :D:D

Delighted that I made a comment about man united's and the coach's mentality on a man united match thread and it get turned around in comparison to what Liverpool are did last year!! :D:D:D Like clockwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Really? Who!

Multiple people pre-game, and if for some reason you think I'm just making shit up then just look at the United superthread where not 20 minutes ago a regular poster wrote:
    a) I'll bring on Martial here, and with Lingaard, Martial and Rashford blow them away on the counter as they pile forward
    That mentality was very much in evidence before the game last night.

We were leading the tie, they had to come and score, and as such many fans pre-game noted that a perfectly valid tactic would be to let them come onto us and try to hit them on the counter with the pace of the three lads.

You didn't like the game, fair enough neither did I, but I'm not going to overly criticise a tactical decision I would have agreed with pre-game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Multiple people pre-game, and if for some reason you think I'm just making shit up then just look at the United superthread where not 20 minutes ago a regular poster wrote:

We were leading the tie, they had to come and score, and as such many fans pre-game noted that a perfectly valid tactic would be to let them come onto us and try to hit them on the counter with the pace of the three lads.

You didn't like the game, fair enough neither did I, but I'm not going to overly criticise a tactical decision I would have agreed with pre-game.

I was one of those who thought that.. it was the most obvious tactic to play. It just wasn't implemented very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I've been very underwhelmed with United all season tbh.

Speaking to a United fan last week he assured me they had improved under Jose. That the attacking play was much faster and incisive. I can see a little bit of this tbh but as we know the finishing had been poor. What I see is a team falling between two stools so to speak. They aren't a fluent attacking team and they also aren't exactly a rock solid defensive/lethal counter attacking force as you might expect a team coached by Jose to be.

I have to say I think they were a much more controlled side under Van Gaal. In games against the top 6 they had lots of the ball and weren't backs to the wall defensively as they have in these games this season. They weren't very exciting I accept but they set out to actually control a game in terms of possession and imposing their tempo on the opposing team.

I'm going to be a little controversial here and say they were closer to being a top side under Van Gaal in terms of approach to the game and in their collective mentality to at least view themselves as equals to these sides than they are currently. They play like the underdog at present imo.

The current side play more like Jose's Inter team against other top teams than they do his Chelsea sides.

Personally I haven't enjoyed watching United and I wonder have United fans enjoyed what's being offered up. The ends justifies the means if they win the Europa and League Cup but do they feel they are progressing to being an elite side again? I don't think you have to be an elite side to win those competitions.

• Multiple people pre-game, and if for some reason you think I'm just making shit up then just look at the United superthread where not 20 minutes ago a regular poster wrote:

That's where we differ. It is a valid tactic and that's not my problem with it.
    It was the wrong choice last night however and we nearly paid the price.

• astradave wrote: »
    Just on this, when the oppositions fullbacks are playing very high and they are using the wings to attack I would more than expect our wingers to be helping out defensively. Near every team does this.

You can say Celta Vigo played a high line, but we chose to sit back and allow that from the get go.
    The couple of times we did push out and Pogba got on the ball we looked to create Celta Vigo all sorts of problems.
    Herrea had one of his worst games of the season IMO, he was completely anonymous which didn't help us either. Maybe the stats might say otherwise but it felt that way.

Advertisement